Does a galaxy move?

Old January 14th 04, 12:24 PM
Passero

Default Does a galaxy move?

Perhaps a stupid question but i'm new to astronomy and i would like to know
if a galaxy moves or not and if it moves, how does it move? I mean, the
planets are moving around a sun so does a galaxy move around something or
does it just move because of the big bang or what?

Old January 14th 04, 02:12 PM
Terry A. Haimann

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:24:04 +0000, Passero wrote:

Perhaps a stupid question but i'm new to astronomy and i would like to know
if a galaxy moves or not and if it moves, how does it move? I mean, the
planets are moving around a sun so does a galaxy move around something or
does it just move because of the big bang or what?

Yes, galaxies do move, just as in our solar system where the planets orbit
around our sun, galaxies are in their own orbit. But instead of orbiting
around a star they orbit around the center of the mass of their galactic
group. This is all based on Keplers three laws:

1. The orbit of each planet around the sun is an elipse, with the sun at
one focus.

2. Each planet moves along it orbit so that the radius vector sweeps out
equal areas in equal time.

3. The square of the orbital period of each planet in years equal the cube
of the mean distance from the sun in astronomical units.

Be aware, that due to the distances involved each orbit will be very long,
probably multiples of billions of years.

Now the galactic groups are also moving away from each other due to the
big bang.

Terry
Old January 14th 04, 02:17 PM
Mark F.

The sun is in orbit around the galactic center it rotates and us along with
it, Edwin Hubble found that all the galaxies are moving away from us.

So everything is moving somewhere.

Old January 14th 04, 02:28 PM
Passero

"Terry A. Haimann" schreef in bericht
news

Be aware, that due to the distances involved each orbit will be very long,
probably multiples of billions of years.

So our solarsytem does not "stay" at the same place in the univers?
Because of the orbit will be very long, does a galaxy stays at the same spot
at a specific time and place? for example when you look at a galaxy today at
22.30 and you look at the same place but in a few months, will you see the
galaxy or not? Or am i thinking wrong?

Old January 14th 04, 03:05 PM
starman

"Mark F." wrote:

The sun is in orbit around the galactic center it rotates and us along with
it, Edwin Hubble found that all the galaxies are moving away from us.

So everything is moving somewhere.

In general the galaxies are moving away from each other because of the
overall expansion of the universe but at least one galaxy in our 'local
group', M31 'Andromeda', is approaching our Milky Way galaxy at a
velocity of about 125-km/s. If this continues we will collide with M31
in about 4.3-billion years but I wouldn't worry about it. :-)

You can read more about the 'local group' at:

http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...er/node16.html

Old January 14th 04, 03:05 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Passero" wrote in message
Perhaps a stupid question but i'm new to astronomy and i would like to

know
if a galaxy moves or not and if it moves, how does it move? I mean, the
planets are moving around a sun so does a galaxy move around something or
does it just move because of the big bang or what?

You don't see any movement, relative to the stars, within your lifetime.
Galaxies do move; the whole universe is expanding so they are all getting
farther apart. They rotate, too. And there are some other movements,
usually not very well understood.

Old January 14th 04, 03:07 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Passero" wrote in message

So our solarsytem does not "stay" at the same place in the univers?
Because of the orbit will be very long, does a galaxy stays at the same

spot
at a specific time and place? for example when you look at a galaxy today

at
22.30 and you look at the same place but in a few months, will you see the
galaxy or not? Or am i thinking wrong?

You will see a completely different part of the sky because the earth is
orbiting around the sun, so that the night sky (the side of the earth away
from the sun) faces in a different direction at different times of the year.

For example, Orion is high in the sky at midnight in January; in June it
won't be.

But all the stars and galaxies will "move" together (since it's really the
earth that's moving). That's why star maps are possible. You just have to
find out which part of the map is in the sky above you at the time.

Old January 14th 04, 03:11 PM
Starlord

While a Galaxy's speed is great, the area is so vast that it just craws along.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Passero" wrote in message

"Terry A. Haimann" schreef in bericht
news

Be aware, that due to the distances involved each orbit will be very long,
probably multiples of billions of years.

So our solarsytem does not "stay" at the same place in the univers?
Because of the orbit will be very long, does a galaxy stays at the same spot
at a specific time and place? for example when you look at a galaxy today at
22.30 and you look at the same place but in a few months, will you see the
galaxy or not? Or am i thinking wrong?

Now the galactic groups are also moving away from each other due to the
big bang.

Terry

---

Old January 14th 04, 04:42 PM
Greg Neill

"Passero" wrote in message

"Terry A. Haimann" schreef in bericht
news

Be aware, that due to the distances involved each orbit will be very

long,
probably multiples of billions of years.

So our solarsytem does not "stay" at the same place in the univers?
Because of the orbit will be very long, does a galaxy stays at the same

spot
at a specific time and place? for example when you look at a galaxy today

at
22.30 and you look at the same place but in a few months, will you see the
galaxy or not? Or am i thinking wrong?

Everything is in motion. The motion of the local galaxies
with respect to each other is very slow from our point of
view, as the distances are so vast. So you won't see much
difference in locations over a mere matter of months. A
better timescale to watch the motions of the local galaxies
would be using "ticks" of a few million years or so.

Old January 14th 04, 05:12 PM
Sam Wormley

Passero wrote:

Perhaps a stupid question but i'm new to astronomy and i would like to know
if a galaxy moves or not and if it moves, how does it move? I mean, the
planets are moving around a sun so does a galaxy move around something or
does it just move because of the big bang or what?

With respect to what? Everything is in motion with respect to something.
There is no absolute motion! There is much evidence that the universe is
expanding (hotter, denser and smallar in the past).

Suggested online resources:
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Velocity.html