2 verrry bright stars tonite (Sunday) ..one close to the moon ..

Old January 12th 04, 06:56 AM
Morehits4u

Default 2 verrry bright stars tonite (Sunday) ..one close to the moon ..

the other isnt ...The sky was soo clear tonite...I saw stars that i havent seen
for a while.. amazing..........I presume one of the stars is Mars .... but the
other
?? maybe Saturn....thanks for any help ( stone cold novice here )

Before you complain, remember how it was - before you got on the internet.
Old January 12th 04, 07:55 AM
James

"Morehits4u" wrote in message
the other isnt ...The sky was soo clear tonite...I saw stars that i havent

seen
for a while.. amazing..........I presume one of the stars is Mars .... but

the
other
?? maybe Saturn....thanks for any help ( stone cold novice here )

I think Jupiter was close to the moon last night... and the other may have
been venus, this was very bright early evening?
James

Old January 12th 04, 02:16 PM
Passero

"Morehits4u" schreef in bericht
Thanks...!!! The star that was
farther away from the Moon ...was
South west of the Moon ..

A little image that show how it is... http://www.passero.be/stars.jpg
There you see where jupiter and saturn are.

Old January 17th 04, 06:45 AM
Painius

"Steve" wrote in message...

Subject: 2 verrry bright stars tonite (Sunday) ..one close to
the moon .. From: "Passero"
Date: 1/12/04 3:11 AM Central Standard Time

"Morehits4u" schreef in bericht
the other isnt ...The sky was soo clear tonite...I saw stars that i
havent seen for a while.. amazing..........I presume one of the
stars is Mars .... but the other
?? maybe Saturn....thanks for any help ( stone cold novice here )

Jupiter is very close to the moon, it should be very visible with
the eye. Saturn is also at the sky, but is is more east then the
moon. You can find saturn a bit to the left and of orion.

Before you complain, remember how it was - before you got on the
internet.

Thanks...!!! The star that was
farther away from the Moon ...was
South west of the Moon ..

Neither were stars, they were planets.
Jupiter near the moon, Venus in the south-west :-)

Steve

--
www.frontierastro.co.uk

FrontierAstro - dedicated to Frontier and Astronomy

Looks like Bill is closest on this one, Steve. On January
12th, the planet Venus set just after 8pm and the Moon
didn't rise until almost 11pm. Looks like the bright objects
were the planet Jupiter near the Moon and the brightest
star in the sky, Sirius, in the SW. Planet Mars was still up,
but off to the East on the other side of the sky from the
Moon, and Venus was long gone.

There is an off-chance that the other object was the planet
Saturn, which is hovering just above the right hand of the
constellation Orion. But most likely it was the Dog Star,
Sirius.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--