US Flag

Old January 7th 04, 07:21 AM
Nerd Gerl

Default US Flag

Why did American astronauts plant the U.S. flag on the choke dark
side unchoke of the moon? Some people believe there is such a side -
a side that always remains hidden from earth's view. Who's bright idea
was it to hide the US Flag in this manner.

Assuming that there is no dark side of the moon - why can't amateur
astronomers see the US Flag with telescopes - and verify that it is
there?
Old January 7th 04, 07:54 AM
Chuck Taylor

snip

(The following is "author unknown")
Dear Troll,

Thank you for your troll. Your troll has been evaluated by
our panel of experts. Here are the results of our tests.

We found that your troll was...
[ ] Incomprehensible
[ ] Offensive
[x] Just plain stupid
[ ] Without merit
[ ] Grammatically incorrect
[ ] Laced with spelling and punctuation errors
[ ] Laden with circular reasoning
[ ] Laced with misunderstandings of basic scientific principles
[ ] Somewhat too revealing of your minimal mental abilities
[ ] Too similar to other trolls submitted in the past

You could improve your troll considerably by...
[ ] Including a few actual facts
[ ] Taking remedial English lessons
[ ] Mentioning that you are a professional
[ ] Stating more falsehoods as facts than you already have
[ ] Swearing more
[ ] Including more colorful personal insults
[ ] Using the phrases "you people" or "those people" more
[ ] Modifying your insults to cover larger groups of people at once
[x] Ranting incoherently
[ ] Using religious or racial slurs
[x] Using the words "junk", "crap", "garbage", "toy", "flimsy" and
"Professional" more frequently
[ ] Using childish taunts
[ ] Including fake laughter such as "ha ha ha" or "har de har de har"
[ ] Focusing on just one outrageous topic will give your troll more punch
[ ] Ignoring any facts, and using more absolutes in your troll
[x] Using all capital letters
[ ] Focusing more on those areas in which "your" view is better than "their"
view
[ ] Exaggerate more, you need not be limited by facts

Please get a...
[x] life
[ ] grip
[ ] job
[ ] clue
[ ] book on basic history/astronomy
[ ] note from your mom
[ ] telescope

You should...
[ ] Have someone who can read review your postings
[ ] Save your postings for later and think if you really want to send them
[ ] Take your medication
[ ] Not have "one for the road" next time
[ ] Stay in school
[ ] Go and buy whatever eyepiece you want, we don't care
[ ] Think about other people's feelings before you post
[ ] Get your ego boost some other way
[ ] Realize that by trolling a group you hurt everyone, not just the people
you are mad at
[x] Go away so we can talk about astronomy
[x] Put up a web site with your name on it to show the world
[ ] Take down your web site, it's not very good

Suggested other activities besides trolling...
[x] Posting something constructive
[x] Actually having a look through a telescope
[ ] Helping someone else
[ ] Spending some time with your family instead of your magazines
[ ] Working off that big pot belly
[ ] Get your ego boost instead by helping out at a local hospital
[ ] Consider another hobby that does not require contact with other humans
e.g. mortuary science

Thank you for your submission.

You have...
[ ] passed
[ ] passed with honors
[x] failed, must try harder

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

Old January 7th 04, 11:23 AM
W K

"Nerd Gerl" wrote in message
om...

Assuming that there is no dark side of the moon - why can't amateur
astronomers see the US Flag with telescopes - and verify that it is
there?

play the game

Flags are small.
The moon is a long long way away.
Telesopes aren't that good.

Old January 7th 04, 02:16 PM
Starlord

First of all, we NEVER landed on the far side of the moon and NEVER put a flag
there at all. 2. the far side of the moon does have sunlight on it for part of
it's orbit around the earth, just as for part of that same orbit the side we do
view is in darkness.

Trying to see a 6ft tall pole with a flag on it ( Apollo 11's was blown over
during lem liftoff ) would be like me standing outside and trying to see a penny
on the ground a mile away from me, even with telescope or binos, it's not going
to happen.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Nerd Gerl" wrote in message
om...

---

Old January 7th 04, 02:23 PM
BenignVanilla

"W K" wrote in message

"Nerd Gerl" wrote in message
om...

Assuming that there is no dark side of the moon - why can't amateur
astronomers see the US Flag with telescopes - and verify that it is
there?

play the game

Flags are small.
The moon is a long long way away.
Telesopes aren't that good.

And there is no "Dark Side" aside from the Floyd album. There is a far side,
but not a dark side.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old January 7th 04, 02:38 PM
Whisper

"Nerd Gerl" wrote in message
om...
Why did American astronauts plant the U.S. flag on the choke dark
side unchoke of the moon? Some people believe there is such a side -
a side that always remains hidden from earth's view. Who's bright idea
was it to hide the US Flag in this manner.

Assuming that there is no dark side of the moon - why can't amateur
astronomers see the US Flag with telescopes - and verify that it is
there?

You need a stronger scope. I saw it last night......

Old January 7th 04, 02:43 PM
Roger Hamlett

"Starlord" wrote in message
First of all, we NEVER landed on the far side of the moon and NEVER put a

flag
there at all. 2. the far side of the moon does have sunlight on it for

part of
it's orbit around the earth, just as for part of that same orbit the side

we do
view is in darkness.

Trying to see a 6ft tall pole with a flag on it ( Apollo 11's was blown

over
during lem liftoff ) would be like me standing outside and trying to see a

penny
on the ground a mile away from me, even with telescope or binos, it's not

going
to happen.

Actually, a penny on the ground a mile away, is quite possible, though not
easy. The comparison needs to be to seeing a penny about 3000 miles away, or
a single strand of hair at about 3 miles!...

Best Wishes

Old January 7th 04, 05:54 PM
Starlord

Out here in the High Mojave desert, with all the sage brush,etc. growing, you'd
not be able to spot that penny unless you dozed a clear pathway to it and even
then, with the crows out here, they'd most likly get it and carry it off!

And I did say without either bino's or a scope.

Old January 7th 04, 06:02 PM
Jay Windley

"Nerd Gerl" wrote in message
om...

| Why did American astronauts plant the U.S. flag on the choke
| dark side unchoke of the moon?

They didn't.

| Some people believe there is such a side - a side that always
| remains hidden from earth's view.

There is -- only it's not the "dark" side since it gets just as much sun,
periodically, as the near side.

| Who's bright idea was it to hide the US Flag in this manner.

Whose bright idea was it to say what you've said without looking for a map
of the moon and noting carefully the positions of the little X's that mark
Apollo landing sites?

| Assuming that there is no dark side of the moon - why can't
| amateur astronomers see the US Flag with telescopes - and verify
| that it is there?

Basic optics. Do a web search on "diffraction limit".

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old January 8th 04, 04:25 AM
The Ancient One

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message

"W K" wrote in message

"Nerd Gerl" wrote in message
om...

Assuming that there is no dark side of the moon - why can't amateur
astronomers see the US Flag with telescopes - and verify that it is
there?

play the game

Flags are small.
The moon is a long long way away.
Telesopes aren't that good.

And there is no "Dark Side" aside from the Floyd album. There is a far

side,
but not a dark side.

There's no far side anymore. I miss it, it was a great cartoon. ;-)