face on mars

Old January 5th 04, 02:21 AM
Lou

Default face on mars

Has anyone actually looked at the base that the face is sitting on? The
top is flat. The sides are all built up at the same angle. It has
three sides of a perfect rectangle with the other side a curve with the
point of curvature and point of tangency intersecting perfectly. And
the curve is at the jaw of the face, the same way it is on the plaque of
a dear head mount. Far too perfect for me.

More likely, the new close ups were doctored. But they were too stupid
to mess up the plateau it was put on.

Lou

Old January 5th 04, 02:46 AM
Ugo

Lou wrote:
Has anyone actually looked at the base that the face is sitting on?
The top is flat. The sides are all built up at the same angle. It
has three sides of a perfect rectangle with the other side a curve
with the point of curvature and point of tangency intersecting
perfectly. And the curve is at the jaw of the face, the same way it
is on the plaque of a dear head mount. Far too perfect for me.

More likely, the new close ups were doctored. But they were too stupid
to mess up the plateau it was put on.

Lou

What's with all this Mars face histeria?

--
The butler did it.

Old January 5th 04, 03:07 AM
Lou

Sorry,I made that oberservation a couple of years ago when all the
better photos came on line. Finally found a place for it.

Lou

Old January 5th 04, 03:40 AM
Starlord

BULL, only clueless dipsticks see something that's not there. It's a hill that's
been worn by the winds for millions of years.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Lou" wrote in message
t...
Has anyone actually looked at the base that the face is sitting on? The
top is flat. The sides are all built up at the same angle. It has
three sides of a perfect rectangle with the other side a curve with the
point of curvature and point of tangency intersecting perfectly. And
the curve is at the jaw of the face, the same way it is on the plaque of
a dear head mount. Far too perfect for me.

More likely, the new close ups were doctored. But they were too stupid
to mess up the plateau it was put on.

Lou

---

Old January 5th 04, 05:11 AM
Bobsprit

Starlord wrote:

It's a face, carved by martians into a hill that's been worn by the winds
for millions of years.

Exactly!

Capt RB
Old January 5th 04, 06:21 AM
Starlord

Hay dipstick, make sure that you tell everyone that YOU edited that quote and
made it that way, because that is NOT what I said, and you just joined all the
other dipstinks in my killfile, you sure don't have any brain cells.

Anyone who belives that so called "Face" is real or was built by someone, needs
to go see a good head shrink.

Old January 5th 04, 06:34 AM
David Knisely

A MARTIAN FACE-OFF

On planet Mars, on ancient plains
there sits a feature, somewhat strange.
A geologic oddity,
to interest those from Planet Three.

From orbit high, the Viking probe
took stock of all which lay below.
To find a site for a fragile lander,
it took some shots which raised some dander.

One image of the northern lands
in Cydonia Mensae's desolation,
showed a knobby hill of oval form
which has aquired a reputation.

Just two-point-six kilometers
in length, and two in width,
its resemblance to a human face
is crude, but hard to miss.

Uneven eyes, a lumpy brow,
an angled mouth, as if to scowl,
make this low hill no monument,
except to those who "wish" for it.

The scientists who first spied this feature,
saw not the hand of intelligent creatures.
On a cold cratered world of dust and stone
this "face" appeared fashioned by nature alone.

But those who wished for alien nations,
refused to consider this explanation.
With no hard facts to support their inklings,
they abandoned much of their critical thinking.

They accepted on faith that the "face" was intended
to show that red Mars was once quite inhabited.
But "their" city of stone with its pyramids and vistas,
still looks like a bunch of low mountains and mesas.

These "believers" took data from each Viking image,
and numerically crunched it to get a new visage,
with conjured detail and more constitution,
well beyond Viking's camera's true resolution!

They measured up angles, lengths and some distance,
to build up support for "their" Martians' existance.
Neglecting to notice, in a great show of comedy,
that what they had done was just mere numerology.

Some cooked up conspiracy plots in abundance
to explain Mars Observer's quick disappearance.
They once again failed in their efforts, so labored,
to notice that spaceflight is still prone to failure.

And then came Mars Global Surveyor's first picture
of Cydonia's illustrious "mystery" feature,
with resolution ten times that of old Viking's portraits,
to reveal all the details, and to end all the nonsense.

The image showed what science long ago had concluded;
this "face" is just natural; an old mesa eroded,
with worn rocky ridges, some cracks, and, at last,
no hint of the Martians, either present or past.

And still, Mars sits silently, waiting for history
to push mankind's science to solve its great mysteries.
Yet the "face" does indeed have a message to some:
"Please leave all of the crackpots behind when you come.".

David Knisely
D.W.K. 4/7/98

Old January 5th 04, 01:08 PM
Bobsprit

Hay dipstick, make sure that you tell everyone that YOU edited that quote and
made it that way, because that is NOT what I said, and you just joined all the
other dipstinks in my killfile, you sure don't have any brain cells.

Starlord, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? It's called "humor" for better or worse and
there's room for it even in a deathly serious astronomy group.
You seem like a pretty angry fella. Too bad. I hope calling people names eases
your tormented soul.

RB
Old January 5th 04, 01:12 PM
Ron Miller

"Lou" wrote in message
t...
Has anyone actually looked at the base that the face is sitting on? The
top is flat. The sides are all built up at the same angle. It has
three sides of a perfect rectangle with the other side a curve with the
point of curvature and point of tangency intersecting perfectly. And
the curve is at the jaw of the face, the same way it is on the plaque of
a dear head mount. Far too perfect for me.

More likely, the new close ups were doctored. But they were too stupid
to mess up the plateau it was put on.

Yeah, that's a real likely theory. I can only suppose you've never taken a
look at the hundreds of extremely geometric natural features on our own
planet? Features that are even more "perfect" than the plateau on Mars that
seems to astonish you so much? Unless, of course, you believe that these
features were also all carved by aliens.

Besides, look at all of the fudging you indulge in to make the plateau
"perfect" in your mind (whatever it is you mean by "a curve with the point
of curvature and point of tangency intersecting perfectly"). I'd be a lot
more impressed if the plateau were a perfect square or rectangle (and not a
"perfect rectangle with the other side a curve"---how that makes a "perfect
rectangle" is beyond me) with precise 90 degree corners. But it's not.

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever unnatural about the plateau the
"face" sits on or the "face" itself.