Cold-weather pants

Old October 17th 12, 05:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

Default Cold-weather pants

On 16 Okt., 22:32, lal_truckee wrote:

Two requirements; insulating and windproofing.

Expedition weight longjohns from discount online for insulation - should
run in the $25 range.
Cheap waterproof rainpants for outerwear - bungee around boots and waist
to keep air infiltration down.

Also most heat is lost through the extremities - hands, feet, head; NOT
through torso, arms, legs. You need windproof fleece hat, gloves, and
Sorel style boots.

Take lessons from skiers, they've been out there in much colder weather,
and there's a lot more of them so prices can be lower, especially online.

The problem with down filling is that it easily compresses when sat
on. Out on the open lawn below -5C (23F) I wear a one of my many down
duvet jackets and loose fleece trousers over long polyester underwear.
Sold as skiing underwear and very cheaply available at many stores.
Why pay more for a fancy name? It's woven plastic! Wash before
wearing it. The black stuff is heavily dyed! A down hood pulled over
over a fleece hat is often far too warm at -5C!

Below -10C (14C) I wear a down waistcoat inside a larger and thicker
duvet jacket. This is often too warm but one can always open the
jacket and push the down hood back off your head.

Below -15C (5F) I'd rather ride my bicycle. Eyepieces fog up far too
readily!

I've read -22C (-5F) on a digital thermometer hanging from the
pedestal while trying to observe just for the fun of it. The PVC
extension cables became so steel hard that I had to leave them out for
a week before I dared coil them up again!

It is important to wear long polyester underwear to wick moisture away
from the skin. Not everybody can tolerate expensive merino wool
alternatives against the skin. The slightest exercise will probably
give you a mobile sauna when you are so heavily overdressed. So be
prepared. The first sign of prickliness or dampness in the back is
time to unzip. Though it's probably far too late by then. Use hat and
jacket opening or complete removal to control your core temperature.
Add gentle exercise to warm up if you start feeling cold.

As temperatures plummet, ensure you have somebody monitoring your
activities at intervals. A slip on snow or ice may lead to hypothermia
if you lie there long enough at low enough temperatures.

Cotton is only useful for handkerchiefs. Never for cold weather
clothing.
Old October 17th 12, 06:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_3_]

"Chris.B" wrote in message ...

The problem with down filling is that it easily compresses when sat
on.

Up fill instead then.

Old October 17th 12, 07:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Chris.B" wrote

The problem with down filling is that it easily compresses when sat
on.

I did think about that, and wondered if that'd be an issue sitting on a
padded seat. On the other hand, my big down parka covers my butt, so I would
be sitting on that. I can probably get away with what I have: silk
long-johns under the flannel-lined jeans (I know: cotton), and, if
necessary, the down throw across my thighs. The throw would be pretty
inconvenient, though, unless I'm sitting in one place for some time. With a
Newtonian, thankfully I can sit in one spot and cover a fair amount of sky.

No, I don't think an electric blanket would be a good idea outdoors. I will
just have to experiment.

As for wind-proof, that per se won't be necessary because I won't be out
there in the wind. True, though, even a light breeze, when freezing, can be
annoying. Carhartt pants might be a good alternative to down, as some have
mentioned. I don't need the full body suit -- just pants. I have two
Carhartt dealers nearby I can check out.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Old October 18th 12, 09:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_182_]

In sci.astro.amateur message , Wed, 17 Oct
2012 14:37:29, Howard Lester posted:

On the other hand, my big down parka covers my butt, so I would be
sitting on that. I can probably get away with what I have: silk long-
johns under the flannel-lined jeans (I know: cotton), and, if
necessary, the down throw across my thighs. The throw would be pretty
inconvenient, though, unless I'm sitting in one place for some time.

Obtain a pinafore, and fother it.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. For Mail, see Home Page. Turnpike, WinXP.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQ-type topics, acronyms, and links.
Old October 19th 12, 11:18 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway[_3_]

Default Malala Yousafzai update

Malala Yousafzai is able to stand, write, recovering well.
Old October 19th 12, 12:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

and, if
necessary, the down throw across my thighs. The throw would be pretty
inconvenient, though, unless I'm sitting in one place for some time.

Obtain a pinafore, and fother it.

"Fother" it? "Fother" is not in my dictionary, so I am guessing you mean to
fasten it in some way.... ?

Hmmm... that gives me an idea... :-)

Old October 20th 12, 08:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_182_]

In sci.astro.amateur message , Fri, 19 Oct
2012 07:49:15, Howard Lester posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

and, if
necessary, the down throw across my thighs. The throw would be pretty
inconvenient, though, unless I'm sitting in one place for some time.

Obtain a pinafore, and fother it.

"Fother" it? "Fother" is not in my dictionary, so I am guessing you
mean to fasten it in some way.... ?

No. Perhaps genuine English is not your native language?

The word was known to Wikipedia.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old October 21st 12, 10:15 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On 20 Okt., 21:56, Dr J R Stockton
wrote:
In sci.astro.amateur message , Fri, 19 Oct
2012 07:49:15, Howard Lester posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" * wrote

and, if
necessary, the down throw across my thighs. The throw would be pretty
inconvenient, though, unless I'm sitting in one place for some time.

Obtain a pinafore, and fother it.

"Fother" it? "Fother" is not in my dictionary, so I am guessing you
mean to fasten it in some way.... * ?

No. *Perhaps genuine English is not your native language?

The word was known to Wikipedia.

According to your source: "Fother" is a noun for a variable unit of
measure. Not a verb.

I just hope Howard doesn't try a ton of lead. Or worse, a cart load!

Only my opinnyon. ;-)
Old October 21st 12, 03:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Chris.B" wrote

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

Obtain a pinafore, and fother it.

"Fother" it? "Fother" is not in my dictionary, so I am guessing you
mean to fasten it in some way.... ?

No. Perhaps genuine English is not your native language?

The word was known to Wikipedia.

According to your source: "Fother" is a noun for a variable unit of
measure. Not a verb.

I just hope Howard doesn't try a ton of lead. Or worse, a cart load!

Only my opinnyon. ;-)

Funny! I did just now look in Wikipedia and found what you wrote, Chris. But
there is something about covering a leak with rope fibres ("fibers" here in
the U.S.). The unit, being old, predates me by possibly several hundred
years. So no, "genuine" English is not my native language. I was born in the
U.S., and apparently learned the abridged edition. *sigh* Again, "fother"
is not in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, the one I have being
comprised of a fairly robust 1,667 pages. So blame Noah, not me. ;-)

Old October 21st 12, 06:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On 21 Okt., 16:15, "Howard Lester" wrote:

Funny! I did just now look in Wikipedia and found what you wrote, Chris. But
there is something about covering a leak with rope fibres ("fibers" here in
the U.S.). The unit, being old, predates me by possibly several hundred
years. So no, "genuine" English is not my native language. I was born in the
U.S., and apparently learned the abridged edition. **sigh* Again, "fother"
is not in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, the one I have being
comprised of a fairly robust 1,667 pages. So blame Noah, not me. *;-)

English is my first language and I had never heard of "fother" either.

It may have Danish (Viking) roots:
"Foder" with a soft 'd' pron."th" as in English "the" is food for
animals in danish.(e.g. foderstoffer)

Perhaps Stockton simply meant "stuffing with hay?"
ie. Horsey winter grub in a nose bag.

Apt to be a little uncomfortable one might have thought.
But each to their own. ;-)