Cold-weather pants

Old October 21st 12, 08:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

Default Cold-weather pants

"Chris.B" wrote

English is my first language and I had never heard of "fother" either.

It may have Danish (Viking) roots:
"Foder" with a soft 'd' pron."th" as in English "the" is food for
animals in danish.(e.g. foderstoffer)

Perhaps Stockton simply meant "stuffing with hay?"
ie. Horsey winter grub in a nose bag.

Apt to be a little uncomfortable one might have thought.
But each to their own. ;-)

Since he hasn't [yet] explained what he meant, I guess you are correct.
Old October 22nd 12, 07:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_183_]

In sci.astro.amateur message , Sun, 21 Oct
2012 10:15:36, Howard Lester posted:

"Chris.B" wrote

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

Obtain a pinafore, and fother it.

"Fother" it? "Fother" is not in my dictionary, so I am guessing you
mean to fasten it in some way.... ?

No. Perhaps genuine English is not your native language?

The word was known to Wikipedia.

According to your source: "Fother" is a noun for a variable unit of
measure. Not a verb.

The article is short enough. You should have been able to get as far as
the second paragraph.

See also in http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USN/Navy/cu31924030898583.pdf
(10MB). For an 1864 USN document, however, it seems well behind RN
practice of half a century or more earlier; thrumming should greatly
improve the efficacy of fothering.

In fact, I should have written "thrum it" instead of "fother it"; but
"thrum" has, it seems, a possibly better-known alternative meaning.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Mail via homepage. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links;
Old October 23rd 12, 09:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On 22 Okt., 20:52, Dr J R Stockton
wrote:

In fact, I should have written "thrum it" instead of "fother it"; but
"thrum" has, it seems, a possibly better-known alternative meaning.

That was a U2 hit, wasn't it?

"Tattle and Thrum."

Old October 23rd 12, 11:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

See also in http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USN/Navy/cu31924030898583.pdf
(10MB). For an 1864 USN document, however, it seems well behind RN
practice of half a century or more earlier; thrumming should greatly
improve the efficacy of fothering.

In fact, I should have written "thrum it" instead of "fother it"; but
"thrum" has, it seems, a possibly better-known alternative meaning.

OHHHHHH, of COURSE! Why didn't you say so in the first place!?

What the hell is "thrumming??" ;-) Is that adapted from "The Little
Thrummer Boy?"

Old October 24th 12, 12:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
T.T.[_2_]

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

See also in http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USN/Navy/cu31924030898583.pdf
(10MB). For an 1864 USN document, however, it seems well behind RN
practice of half a century or more earlier; thrumming should greatly
improve the efficacy of fothering.

In fact, I should have written "thrum it" instead of "fother it"; but
"thrum" has, it seems, a possibly better-known alternative meaning.

OHHHHHH, of COURSE! Why didn't you say so in the first place!?

What the hell is "thrumming??" ;-) Is that adapted from "The Little
Thrummer Boy?" No. It was his Fother.

Old October 24th 12, 08:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_183_]

In sci.astro.amateur message , Tue, 23 Oct
2012 18:21:50, Howard Lester posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

See also in http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USN/Navy/cu31924030898583.pdf
(10MB). For an 1864 USN document, however, it seems well behind RN
practice of half a century or more earlier; thrumming should greatly
improve the efficacy of fothering.

In fact, I should have written "thrum it" instead of "fother it"; but
"thrum" has, it seems, a possibly better-known alternative meaning.

OHHHHHH, of COURSE! Why didn't you say so in the first place!?

What the hell is "thrumming??" ;-) Is that adapted from "The Little
Thrummer Boy?"

Wikipedia has not yet reached your area? But you want "thrum", mot
"thrumming", there. Webster knows it, too - read all the way down.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old October 25th 12, 11:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

What the hell is "thrumming??" ;-) Is that adapted from "The Little
Thrummer Boy?"

Wikipedia has not yet reached your area? But you want "thrum", mot
"thrumming", there. Webster knows it, too - read all the way down.

"Thrum" is in Webster's, all right, and here's the relevant definition
therein:

"1 a) the row of warp thread ends left on a loom when the web is cut off b)
any of these ends 2 any short end thread or fringe 3 short pieces of
woolen or hempen yarn for thrumming canvas."

Now, that really helps me with my cold-weather pants problem. You certainly
display quite a snotty attitude, devoid of a sense of humor (unless yours is
drier than the Atacama Desert).

Old October 25th 12, 03:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark Storkamp

In article id,
Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In sci.astro.amateur message , Tue, 23 Oct
2012 18:21:50, Howard Lester posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

See also in http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USN/Navy/cu31924030898583.pdf
(10MB). For an 1864 USN document, however, it seems well behind RN
practice of half a century or more earlier; thrumming should greatly
improve the efficacy of fothering.

In fact, I should have written "thrum it" instead of "fother it"; but
"thrum" has, it seems, a possibly better-known alternative meaning.

OHHHHHH, of COURSE! Why didn't you say so in the first place!?

What the hell is "thrumming??" ;-) Is that adapted from "The Little
Thrummer Boy?"

Wikipedia has not yet reached your area? But you want "thrum", mot
"thrumming", there. Webster knows it, too - read all the way down.

And we all know that "mot" is short for "bon mot" which is of course a
witty remark. But I'm not sure I understand the context you are using it
here. Please elucidate.
Old October 26th 12, 10:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_183_]

In sci.astro.amateur message , Thu, 25 Oct
2012 06:33:26, Howard Lester posted:

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

What the hell is "thrumming??" ;-) Is that adapted from "The Little
Thrummer Boy?"

Wikipedia has not yet reached your area? But you want "thrum", mot
"thrumming", there. Webster knows it, too - read all the way down.

"Thrum" is in Webster's, all right, and here's the relevant definition
therein:

"1 a) the row of warp thread ends left on a loom when the web is cut
off b) any of these ends 2 any short end thread or fringe 3 short
pieces of woolen or hempen yarn for thrumming canvas."

Now, that really helps me with my cold-weather pants problem. You
certainly display quite a snotty attitude, devoid of a sense of humor
(unless yours is drier than the Atacama Desert).

I give those to whom I reply what they deserve; that's good for them,
whether they like it or not. Thrum the inside of a large pinafore, and
fother yourself for warmth.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Old October 27th 12, 12:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_2_]

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote

I give those to whom I reply what they deserve; that's good for them,
whether they like it or not. Thrum the inside of a large pinafore, and
fother yourself for warmth.

I shall do that -- whatever the hell it is you're talking about.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt as to your character, I will assume I am
correct about your sense of humor: it's the driest I have ever encountered.