My belated transit of Venus shot

Old October 17th 12, 10:45 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

Default My belated transit of Venus shot

I had an unsatisfying experience with the transit--set up in a great
location, but the sun kept dodging behind clouds. So I took everything
down and went to get some food, then saw that the sun had come out and
hastily set up in a less ideal location. Anyway, here is one of the
shots, with extreme contrast:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...n/photostream/

Old October 17th 12, 02:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 17, 2:45*am, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
I had an unsatisfying experience with the transit--set up in a great
location, but the sun kept dodging behind clouds. *So I took everything
down and went to get some food, then saw that the sun had come out and
hastily set up in a less ideal location. *Anyway, here is one of the
shots, with extreme contrast:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...zes/l/in/photo...

Absolutely super shot of Venus and of "GuthVenus" as hidden under
those thick nighttime clouds.

“Guth Venus” 1:1, plus 10x resample/enlargement of the area in
question:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1027362...79402364691314

What sort of weird planet geology, or that of its active geodynamics,
looks or acts anything like this?

Thumbnail images of Venus, including mgn_c115s095_1.gif (225 m/pixel)
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/th...humbnails.html
Lava channels, Lo Shen Valles, Venus from Magellan Cycle 1
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/ht...115s095_1.html
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/imgcat/hi...c115s095_1.gif
“Guth Venus”, at 1:1, then 10x resample/enlargement of the area in
question:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bradgut...18595926178146
https://picasaweb.google.com/bradgut...79402364691314
Old October 17th 12, 04:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On 17 Okt., 11:45, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
I had an unsatisfying experience with the transit--set up in a great
location, but the sun kept dodging behind clouds. *So I took everything
down and went to get some food, then saw that the sun had come out and
hastily set up in a less ideal location. *Anyway, here is one of the
shots, with extreme contrast:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...zes/l/in/photo...

Well done! That's an excellent image! You captured the penumbra of the
sunspots as well.

Do we have the details of your equipment on the big day?

Ignore the attention-seeking, potato head. He hasn't been well for a
long time.

Old October 17th 12, 07:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Chris.B wrote:
On 17 Okt., 11:45, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
I had an unsatisfying experience with the transit--set up in a great
location, but the sun kept dodging behind clouds. *So I took everything
down and went to get some food, then saw that the sun had come out and
hastily set up in a less ideal location. *Anyway, here is one of the
shots, with extreme contrast:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...zes/l/in/photo...

Well done! That's an excellent image! You captured the penumbra of the
sunspots as well.

Do we have the details of your equipment on the big day?

The link I gave was to the "original size" version of the image; if you
click on the word "Photo" it will revert to the smaller display that
includes the description, which goes as follows:

Transit of Venus on June 5th, 2012. Taken from South Table Mountain,
Golden, CO with a Lumix FZ35 using teleconverter and mylar solar filter.
ISO 80, 1/400sec, f/4.4, green channel only

Does that cover everything? Oh, the teleconverter was the one sold by
Panasonic for that camera, the DWM-LT55. I'll add that to the description.

Old October 19th 12, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Oct 17, 2:06*pm, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
In article ,

Chris.B wrote:
[...]

Very impressive shot with a superzoom P&S camera and converter.