Betelgeuse as pre supernova - what are the closest and most recentclose supernova remnants.

Old September 5th 09, 07:16 PM posted to sci.astro
sg1

Default Betelgeuse as pre supernova - what are the closest and most recentclose supernova remnants.

I notice from APOD that Betelgeuse is~640 l.y. away, and from
Wikipedia that it is possibly in a pre supernova stage, perhaps to
explode in a few thousand years. In thinking about the ecological
consequences of this, being mindful that Betelgeuse's spin axis is not
pointed toward the solar system, I still would like to esimate any
possible effects. For this purpose I would like to know the
locations and estimated dates of the closest supernova remnants to the
solar system, i.e. how long has it been since a comperable event.
Any remnant within ~1000 l.y. would seem reasonable. This would
include of course the closest pulsars, etc. It is complicated since
for times lond ago we need to include the effects of galactic orbital
motion, etc. Still, interesting
Thanks
Old September 6th 09, 02:09 AM posted to sci.astro
BradGuth

On Sep 5, 11:16*am, sg1 wrote:
I notice from APOD that Betelgeuse is~640 l.y. away, and from
Wikipedia that it is possibly in a pre supernova stage, perhaps to
explode in a few thousand years. * In thinking about the ecological
consequences of this, being mindful that Betelgeuse's spin axis is not
pointed toward the solar system, I still would like to esimate any
possible effects. * *For this purpose I would like to know the
locations and estimated dates of the closest supernova remnants to the
solar system, i.e. how long has it been since a comperable event.
Any remnant within ~1000 l.y. would seem reasonable. * *This would
include of course the closest pulsars, etc. * *It is complicated since
for times lond ago we need to include the effects of galactic orbital
motion, etc. * Still, interesting
Thanks

Sirius B at 8+ solar mass rather quickly became a red supergiant and
supposedly went nova postal on us fairly recent, leaving that little
white dwarf and possibly a stealth Sirius C behind.

~ BG
Old September 6th 09, 01:33 PM posted to sci.astro
youtubesneak

On Sep 5, 8:16*pm, sg1 wrote:
possible effects. * *For this purpose I would like to know the
locations and estimated dates of the closest supernova remnants to the
solar system, i.e. how long has it been since a comperable event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supernova_remnants

shows only two remnants closer than 1000 light years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_Supernova_Remnant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RX_J0852.0-4622

That last one was 700 light years away and its light should have
reached Earth around 1250.
Old September 7th 09, 01:25 AM posted to sci.astro
BradGuth

On Sep 5, 11:16*am, sg1 wrote:
I notice from APOD that Betelgeuse is~640 l.y. away, and from
Wikipedia that it is possibly in a pre supernova stage, perhaps to
explode in a few thousand years. * In thinking about the ecological
consequences of this, being mindful that Betelgeuse's spin axis is not
pointed toward the solar system, I still would like to esimate any
possible effects. * *For this purpose I would like to know the
locations and estimated dates of the closest supernova remnants to the
solar system, i.e. how long has it been since a comperable event.
Any remnant within ~1000 l.y. would seem reasonable. * *This would
include of course the closest pulsars, etc. * *It is complicated since
for times lond ago we need to include the effects of galactic orbital
motion, etc. * Still, interesting
Thanks

According to what mainstream science is telling us, anything less than
8 solar masses is not likely to become a full blown supernova, but
instead just evolving into another pesky nova that could expand its
molecular debris out to a dozen some odd light years radii (16 ly)
before slowing down. Double that original pre-nova solar mass (16+)
and the bulk of this now supernova molecular debris radii expands 64
ly.

Sirius B was originally 8+9solar masses before becoming a red
supergiant of 5+ solar masses, subsequently terminating its nova phase
into a 1+ white dwarf that's nicely sucking away at Sirius A on each
and every near pass. At some point Sirius A+B could merge and become
yet another nova or dwarf-supernova, possibly evolve into a binary
white dwarf system, or into becoming a singular and somewhat larger
white dwarf that'll supposedly remain stable for billions of years.

The bad new is, Sirius is too close and only getting closer for our
extremely limited level of discomfort tolerance, whereas frail human
life and the vast biodiversity as we've known Eden/Earth to support
may not be as local nova immune as we'd care to think.