Sounds like sci-fi - 'Oumuamua Likely Had 2 Stars

Old March 20th 18, 06:47 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Michael[_8_]

Default Sounds like sci-fi - 'Oumuamua Likely Had 2 Stars

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 8:00:35 PM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:
1st Known Interstellar Visitor Gets Weirder:
'Oumuamua Likely Had 2 Stars

By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer | March 19, 2018 06:12pm ET

1st Known Interstellar Visitor Gets Weirder: 'Oumuamua Likely Had 2 Stars
An artist's illustration of the asteroid 'Oumuamua, the first
interstellar object ever known to visit our solar system.
Credit: M. Kornmesser/European Southern Observatory

Our solar system's first known interstellar visitor is likely even more
alien than previously imagined, a new study suggests.

The mysterious, needle-shaped object 'Oumuamua, which was spotted
zooming through Earth's neighborhood last October, probably originated
in a two-star system, according to the study.

'Oumuamua means "scout" in Hawaiian; the object was discovered by
researchers using the Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response
System (Pan-STARRS), at Haleakala Observatory on the island of Maui.
['Oumuamua: The 1st Interstellar Visitor in Photos]

Astronomers could tell that the 1,300-foot-long (400 meters) 'Oumuamua
wasn't from around here based on its hyperbolic orbit, which showed that
the object wasn't gravitationally bound to the sun. Initially,
scientists thought the body was probably a comet. But 'Oumuamua
displayed no cometary activity — no long tail, no cloud-like "coma"
around its core — even after getting relatively close to the sun, so it
was soon reclassified as an asteroid.

"It's really odd that the first object we would see from outside our
system would be an asteroid, because a comet would be a lot easier to
spot, and the solar system ejects many more comets than asteroids,"
study lead author Alan Jackson, a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre
for Planetary Sciences at the University of Toronto Scarborough, said in
a statement.

But 'Oumuamua probably didn't come from a system like our own, according
to the new study. Jackson and his colleagues performed computer-modeling
work, which indicated that systems with two close-orbiting stars boot
out asteroids much more efficiently than one-star systems do.

And there are a lot of these binary systems out there; previous research
has suggested that more than half of all Milky Way stars have close
stellar companions.

Nobody knows for sure where 'Oumuamua came from or how long it's been
voyaging through deep space. But the odds are good that it was born into
a binary system that harbors at least one big, hot star, according to
the new study. That's because such systems are likely to have
predominately rocky (as opposed to icy) bodies orbiting relatively close
in, in the prime ejection zone.

And 'Oumuamua was likely booted out during its natal system's
planet-formation period, however long ago that may have been, Jackson
and his team said.

'Oumuamua made its closest approach to Earth — about 15 million miles
(24 million kilometers) — on Oct. 14. The object is now barreling toward
the outer solar system and has been too distant and faint to study even
with large telescopes since mid-December, NASA officials have said. But
astronomers gathered a slew of data about 'Oumuamua while they could,
and they will doubtless be mining this information for a long time to come.

"The same way we use comets to better understand planet formation in our
own solar system, maybe this curious object can tell us more about how
planets form in other systems," Jackson said.

The new study was published today (March 19) in the journal Monthly
Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Follow Mike Wall on Twitter @michaeldwall and Google+. Follow us
@Spacedotcom, Facebook or Google+. Originally published on Space.com.

YOU'D ALSO LIKE

How I Discovered the Origins of the Cigar-Shaped Alien 'Asteroid' 'Oumuamua
Space

Interstellar Object 'Oumuamua Could Be a Comet in Disguise
Space

1st Known Interstellar Visitor Is Tumbling Out of Control: How
Astronomers Know
Space

Meet 'Oumuamua! The 1st Interstellar Visitor Ever Seen Gets a Name
Space

https://www.space.com/40020-oumuamua...nary-star.html

so come to California, you get citizenship by walking into anyone of our lovely DMVs. circa Brown's law 2003 AD

Old March 22nd 18, 11:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 10:47:37 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
[...]

It is now called Mexicale.Best to speak Spanish.nice that places need not have to change the names.Bert
Old March 23rd 18, 12:42 AM posted to alt.astronomy
hanson

The Racist Swine "reber G=EMC^2" wrote:
"Anaheim is now called Mexicale.Best to speak Spanish.
nice that places need not have to change the names" when
and because SwineBert's Mexican pool-playing ex-cronies
referred to Glazier as

__ "la judio cerdo idioto" _, (the idiotic Jewish Pig).___

but, "I, Bert, found that out much too late, since...

"reber" is a dirty 5 letter word, like "Troll", or like my name
"Bert", which is a 4-letter word like "Turd" or "****" and
my email address does

anagram to ____

with which "I was setting a-bad-example" TreBert,

but "My bar tab for Bud Light broke all records" Bert
"I use Cocaine that is a wonder-drug for me". Bert.
"I park & bark in the dark. I'm of low wit & a stupid ****."

"I will do even more Drugs till the end of my time". Bert
"If I get shot in back of my head. So What". Bert.
"I feel very safe when I lie. OK, I will lie till I die". Bert
"That is reality and it's a given. Go Figure" Trebert

"I am all alone in my van with my bucket that I **** into"
"Why am I not loved by all. I am very depressed". Bert
"Being Jewish I know this is so very true. O ya" -- Bert.

"Get the picture", "O ya", "I know why", "Go figure"..

hmmm...snicker...chortle...ahahahAHAHA...ROTFL MAO

'Oumuamua Mike_Duffy Amateur Astronomy 14 December 5th 17 10:05 PM
Oumuamua passes Earth Hägar Misc 1 November 28th 17 12:37 AM
'Oumuamua Richard D. Saam Research 3 November 27th 17 10:08 PM
The Sounds of Space ... Hägar Misc 6 November 3rd 13 05:30 PM
... sounds ... Twittering One Misc 0 September 23rd 05 03:41 AM