Inmarsat shifting providers for a launch

Old December 9th 16, 11:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_6_]

Default Inmarsat shifting providers for a launch

I suppose there can be only so much patience waiting for a flight
backlog to be drained, and Inmarsat has reached the limit of theirs,
shifting from SpaceX to Ariane for one of their satellites:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsa...e-arianespace/

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
these opinions are mine, all mine; HPE might not want them anyway...
Old December 10th 16, 06:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Rick Jones wrote:

I suppose there can be only so much patience waiting for a flight
backlog to be drained, and Inmarsat has reached the limit of theirs,
shifting from SpaceX to Ariane for one of their satellites:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsa...e-arianespace/

Inmarsat needed to get the launch by the end of December because of EU
regulations. The slide of SpaceX return to flight into January meant
they needed to find another provider.

--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....
Old December 10th 16, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article , says...

I suppose there can be only so much patience waiting for a flight
backlog to be drained, and Inmarsat has reached the limit of theirs,
shifting from SpaceX to Ariane for one of their satellites:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsa...e-arianespace/

Some payloads can't withstand long flight delays for economic or other
reasons (e.g. lost revenue). Others can. Some payloads can even afford
to launch on Atlas V and Delta IV.

Jeff
Old December 10th 16, 10:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Jeff Findley wrote:

In article , says...

I suppose there can be only so much patience waiting for a flight
backlog to be drained, and Inmarsat has reached the limit of theirs,
shifting from SpaceX to Ariane for one of their satellites:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsa...e-arianespace/

Some payloads can't withstand long flight delays for economic or other
reasons (e.g. lost revenue). Others can. Some payloads can even afford
to launch on Atlas V and Delta IV.

This one was a regulatory issue. To stay within their EU permit, they
had to launch before the end of the year.

--
"But if this ever changing world in which we live in
Makes you give in and cry...
Old December 11th 16, 05:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

In article ,
says...

Jeff Findley wrote:

In article ,
says...

I suppose there can be only so much patience waiting for a flight
backlog to be drained, and Inmarsat has reached the limit of theirs,
shifting from SpaceX to Ariane for one of their satellites:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsa...e-arianespace/

Some payloads can't withstand long flight delays for economic or other
reasons (e.g. lost revenue). Others can. Some payloads can even afford
to launch on Atlas V and Delta IV.

This one was a regulatory issue. To stay within their EU permit, they
had to launch before the end of the year.

Agreed. That's what I've read since posting my original reply. That
seems odd, but it's the EU so....

Jeff
Old December 29th 16, 05:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 12/10/2016 2:27 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
Some payloads can even afford
to launch on Atlas V and Delta IV.

Jeff

*smirk*