Need advice on mount...

Old September 20th 05, 12:44 AM
Scott Petty

Default Need advice on mount...

I have a roll-off roof observatory that has a pier-mounted 10" LX-200.
I want to be able to take astronomy images using a Hutech modified
Canon Rebel XT and my Canon lenses (as big as a 500mm f/4 Canon lens).
I really like wide-field photos. I have a SBIG STV (that I've never
used ie: no experience) that I planned to use for guidance. I
understand that the best way to use the STV as a guider is in
"e-finder" mode where the STV is piggybacked on the scope with the
e-finder attachment (which I have).

What's the best way to mount the STV and the cameras to the LX-200? I
have top and bottom rails on the OTA and a camera mount on top of the
scope which will work fine for the camera and lenses. But this leaves
me only the bottom rail on which to mount the e-finder. When I do
this, in certain positions (ie: when the scope is pointing near the
horizon) the e-finder hits the wedge and in time will be damaged. It
seems too precarious.

Alternatively, should I consider selling the LX-200 and getting a
better mount? Ultimately I'd like to have the capability of mounting
the STV, camera and lens, and a good reflector (like the Takahashi or
Astro-Physics OTA's) to a stable computer-controllable mount that will
allow me to take great pictures and last me 20+ years. I don't plan on
keeping the LX-200 for a long time.

Thanks very much in advance for your advice and experience!

Scott