Protecting CCD from dew

Old June 25th 05, 06:31 PM
Philip Washington

Default Protecting CCD from dew

I purchased a CCD SBIG 2000 camera about a year ago and have only used it
about 3 times, so I am still working out the artistry of getting decent
pictures. In the past I have never gone out on a night where the dew point
was above 30 F. I just looked at the weather for the place I am going
observing next week and realized ( thought about) the dew point is around
60 F. I'm concerned that this will be an issue when I cool down the CCD
chip. Any advice on what I should or can do to minimize dew issues on the
camera.

I've also noted a growing popularity with some of the less expensive CCD
imager 100 - 250 US$. Would this be less susceptible to dew issue, I
don't know whether they use peltier cooling or not.

I'm going to try and take pictures of DeepImpact from West Texas. I don't
even know what angle it will be at. Basically I'm getting out of town for
a few days to play with my telescope, DeepImpact is the excuse.
Old June 25th 05, 06:44 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:31:55 -0500, Philip Washington
wrote:

I purchased a CCD SBIG 2000 camera about a year ago and have only used it
about 3 times, so I am still working out the artistry of getting decent
pictures. In the past I have never gone out on a night where the dew point
was above 30 F. I just looked at the weather for the place I am going
observing next week and realized ( thought about) the dew point is around
60 F. I'm concerned that this will be an issue when I cool down the CCD
chip. Any advice on what I should or can do to minimize dew issues on the
camera.

The cooling system helps protect the camera from dew. That's because the
heat pumped away from the CCD raises the temperature of the camera body.
It is rare for a powered camera to collect dew (when the power is off,
you might want to bag the camera). As far as dew on the window, this
shouldn't be a problem. The interior of the camera is kept dry by the
desiccant plug (make sure yours is recharged- it may need it after a
year). The external window is well sheltered inside the scope and is
going to be near ambient, so it shouldn't get any dew on the outside.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Protecting CCD from dew Philip Washington Amateur Astronomy 1 June 25th 05 06:44 PM
What is the Crew Exploration Vehicle supposed to be? Neil Halelamien Policy 67 September 1st 04 05:09 AM
Protecting motors Gordon UK Astronomy 5 January 26th 04 05:55 PM
Protecting computer from dew? [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 3 September 18th 03 02:59 PM
Protecting the leading edge Doug Whitehall Space Shuttle 4 August 1st 03 01:29 PM