ASTRO: NGC 7606 Hole in the disk galaxy

Old December 11th 11, 08:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: NGC 7606 Hole in the disk galaxy

NGC 7606 is an example of a spiral galaxy with a hole in its spiral
structure. Arp apparently didn't find these odd enough to include in
his atlas. Besides the hole the arm structure is rather weird. An odd
arm runs to the southeast has an odd wave to it suddenly diverting from
the normal spiral pattern. Most arms have some odd structure. What
caused this is unknown to me. NGC 7606 is located in Aquarius about 100
light-years away. Redshift at NED puts it about 86 million light-years
away though other measurements at NED indicate 92 to 113. Adam block at
NOAO says 98 million light-years. I'll settle on a nice round 100.

Several notes at NED go into its physical description but no one
mentions the odd "hole" in the spiral structure at the northern end. It
does appear star formation is declining in this galaxy. Adam Block goes
so far as to say: "Astronomers note that this galaxy is settling down in
the rate of star formation. Soon (in galactic time) this galaxy may form
a barred nucleus in its center with a ring of material surrounding it."
I'll put it on the list to reimage in a few hundred million years and
see if his prediction comes true -- or not.

NED classes it as SA(s)b with some HII emission. Odd to find that HII
mentioned if star formation is ebbing as rapidly as the notes seem to
indicate. NGC project classes it more simply as Sb+ I.

I prepared an annotated image though only a few galaxies had red shift
data. It seemed only the faintest objects had redshift information.
Many were quasar candidates. NED identified them as Ultraviolet Excess
Sources (UvES) so that's the label I put on them. Oddly the close ones
were very faint while the two over 10 billion light years distant were
the brightest. Just goes to show you can't judge distance by
brightness. QSOs aren't standard candles.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7606L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	3859  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7606L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	3860  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC7606L4X10RGB2X10X3-CROP125.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	3861
Old December 12th 11, 10:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image of this southern galaxy.
I have only imaged it once in 2002, but have put it back on my list-
although it will be tough to get a good image at -8 degrees declination.

Stefan

.com...