ASTRO: Reflection nebulae in Monoceros

Old March 14th 17, 11:28 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default ASTRO: Reflection nebulae in Monoceros

There are too many nebulae in this image to fit the title line. It includes IC 447,IC 447, IC446, NGC 2245 and NGC 2247.

This is the first of my La Palma images, even though it was taken in the last night. I had 10 out of 11 clear nights there, often with very good transparency but also bad seeing. One night was clear but there was a storm that made imaging impossible (I tried anyway but nothing worth showing came from that night).

The 32% illuminated moon was not too far from this field, which brightened the sky very much. The same moon would have been hard to spot in Berlin.
With the moon up the SQM-L reading rose to 20.6 from the usual 21.8. That's still almost two magnitudes less bright than a moonless night in Berlin.
Seeing was bad so I reduced image size to Full HD (41%).

I was testing an Explore Scientific ED127 APO that night that features the new FCD100 glass by Hoya. I liked that little scope so much that I bought one for myself, to be used as a light and compact travel scope (which only weighs in at 7.5 kilogram).

Taken from "Athos" on La Palma with an ES127 FCD100 scope, ES 0.7 reducer and ASI1600MC OSC camera, AZ/EQ6 mount, 23x5 minutes.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2245-23x5gut.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	6532
Old March 16th 17, 04:56 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

NGC 2247 is also vdB 82. Many catalogs including SIMBAD record vdB objects as stars as that's how van der Berg did it. He listed what he believed to be the illuminating star as the position for the object. Thus many don't cross reference the two. Something I find painful to deal with. Unfortunately SpaceBanter keeps losing posts, mine of 2245-7 is one of them.

This field I had to do in three images. None quite overlap so no way to mosaic them. They were taken years apart.

IC 446 is still he http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=4754&stc=1

Shows how much better my skies were back in 2013 though they were going downhill even then.

IC 447/2169 was taken before this site existed, at least I can't find it but their search engine rarely works for me.

Glad the new scope is working out so well. I didn't think La Palma had that much poor seeing. Or maybe you needed to be higher? Storms don't help of course. Mixing air is bad news.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilge View Post

Old March 27th 17, 09:53 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

your image shows that IC446 is well worth to be imaged on it's own.
There is a lot of detail that short focal length and bad seeing can't resolve.

Actually the best nights at La Palma had about the same seeing as an average night on my rooftop terrace. Don't know if that is representative or bad luck.
The place I was staying at was 900m above sea level, so much lower than the big observatories at 2400m, but high enough to make me feel uneasy as I am only used to mountains up to 70m and those are not real mountains but piles of stone from destroyed houses after world war 2...