IC 239 (galaxy in Andromeda)

Old February 7th 17, 11:26 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Default IC 239 (galaxy in Andromeda)

IC 239 is a "low surface brightness" galaxy in Andromeda. So just the right thing for city skies ;-)
According to the book "Bildatlas der Galaxien" by Michael König and Stefan Binnewies (brought by Santa Claus ;-), the bright stars before and next to IC 239 belong to an open star cluster, so we look at the galaxy through an open cluster.

Despite seven hours of colour data the colour channels are clearly underexposed. I wanted to take back the colour saturation still further, in order to reduce colour noise, but then it would look like a b/w image. So I just include the luminance (to which of course the color data is also added).

All frames were captured with the ASI1600MM cool with 2x2 binning. Binning with the camera has no advantage against resizing in software, but at least it saves disk space and I am not tempted to display the image at full scale.

Taken from Berlin with a 10" Meade ACF on an AZ-EQ6 mount, ASI1600MM camera, 4 hours L, 7 hours RGB, single exposures between 30 and 120 seconds.
Image scale is 0.76 arcseconds/pixel.

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC239colourgut.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	875.7 KB
ID:	6514  Click image for larger version

Name:	IC239Lumgut.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	846.8 KB
ID:	6515

Last edited by slilge : February 7th 17 at 11:32 PM.