OT - Glenn Beck shows us all what _real_ courage looks like

Old September 5th 10, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

Default OT - Glenn Beck shows us all what _real_ courage looks like

Well, he was in the _presence_ of George Washington's Inaugural
Address at the National Archives. He... oversimplified... a little.

Compared to his statements on substantive political issues, this is
small potatoes. But, yes, at least this one may be verified and
checked in a manner that admits of very little wiggle room. But will
it shake the confidence of his supporters, or will they just think
that their spokesman is being unfairly persecuted on a trivial matter?

I despise Glenn Beck, but, unfortunately, I _also_ despise the hard-
line liberals who are his loudest critics.

I would have thought that there is a "silent majority" of Americans
who, like me, believe that common sense, and not the extreme positions
taken by the party faithful in the Democratic and Republican parties
(let alone the positions of parties to the left of the Democrats or to
the right of the Republicans) are the way to go.

However, this silent majority is _so_ silent, its silence, if it
existed, could only be explained by death squads and terror. Since the
American people do not show signs of being as intimidated as, say, the
Muslim world, I can only conclude that this "silent majority" I'm
hoping for is as mythical as Spiro Agnew's.

John Savard
Old September 5th 10, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Raven[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" skrev i meddelelsen
dakotatelephone...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_704958.html
You have to admit, it takes real balls to invoke God's name to a crowd of
tens of thousands of people while simultaneously lying to them.
As Mark Twain once wrote:
"It's not that there are so many bad people in the world; it's just that
the lightning is so poorly distributed."
My God, they must look like a pair of soccer balls. :-D

You mean full of air, and intended to be kicked hard? But he isn't the
first to mix the name of God/Yaweh/Allah with lies, and won't be the last.
It seems to me that half of organized religion is about breaking the
commandment "Do not take the name of the Lord in vain". :-)

Jon Lennart Beck (to my knowledge, not related).

Old September 5th 10, 06:25 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/5/2010 5:49 AM, Raven wrote:

You mean full of air, and intended to be kicked hard? But he isn't the
first to mix the name of God/Yaweh/Allah with lies, and won't be the
last. It seems to me that half of organized religion is about breaking
the commandment "Do not take the name of the Lord in vain". :-)

What fascinates me is that Rupert Murdoch couldn't come up with a
original concept for Newscorp.
All he did was study the history of the the Hearst newspapers with their
yellow journalism and fixation on violence, muckraking, and sexual
stories, watched "Citizen Kane" around a dozen times to make sure he was
getting everything right, then aped the whole thing without adding
anything to it on his own.
Even Glenn Beck is the actual realization of Howard Beale out of the
movie "Network", as he himself has admitted more than once.
That movie was supposed to be a warning; not a "how-to" manual.
While Fox News is supposed to be a great friend of the Republican Party,
when all is said and done they might be one of the major sources of its
destruction...to make a quick buck.

Pat

Old September 5th 10, 06:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/5/2010 5:25 AM, Quadibloc wrote:
Well, he was in the _presence_ of George Washington's Inaugural
Address at the National Archives. He... oversimplified... a little.

Compared to his statements on substantive political issues, this is
small potatoes. But, yes, at least this one may be verified and
checked in a manner that admits of very little wiggle room. But will
it shake the confidence of his supporters, or will they just think
that their spokesman is being unfairly persecuted on a trivial matter?

I despise Glenn Beck, but, unfortunately, I _also_ despise the hard-
line liberals who are his loudest critics.

As someone who has their BA in history, I find Beck's statements on it a
combination of hilarious and horrifying.
One of the more recent ones is how the Islamic forces destroyed the
Haggis Sophia in Constantinople/Istanbul and built a mosque on its
former site.
They did not do that; they redecorated the interior of it, and built
four minarets around it.
As for his statement that Muslims were desecrating the interior of the
room that Jesus held the Last Supper in with graffiti - nowhere in the
Bible is the actual position of that place given, and the place that is
shown in Jerusalem to visitors is a fabricated tourist trap, just like
the "true" burial site of Jesus.
Old September 5th 10, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

BTW, that's supposed to be "Hagia Sophia" not "Haggis Sophia".
Although I can picture those worthless damn turncoat protestant Scots
actually trying to build a church out of sheep's **** bladders stuffed
with oats and suet, I doubt that it would have survived anywhere near
this long, or that the forces of Islam would want anything to do with it
at around the time they saw around a million flies gathering around it
on taking Constantinople.

Pat

Old September 5th 10, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/5/2010 9:49 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:

As someone who has their BA in history, I find Beck's statements on it a
combination of hilarious and horrifying.
One of the more recent ones is how the Islamic forces destroyed the
Haggis Sophia in Constantinople/Istanbul and built a mosque on its
former site.
They did not do that; they redecorated the interior of it, and built
four minarets around it.
As for his statement that Muslims were desecrating the interior of the
room that Jesus held the Last Supper in with graffiti - nowhere in the
Bible is the actual position of that place given, and the place that is
shown in Jerusalem to visitors is a fabricated tourist trap, just like
the "true" burial site of Jesus.

Apparently, this follow-up on that postimg never got through; my
apolgeis if you've read it befo

Old September 5th 10, 11:17 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Sep 5, 3:09*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

BTW, that's supposed to be "Hagia Sophia" not "Haggis Sophia".

Indeed.

As far as Glenn Beck's courage is concerned, though, well - he
probably isn't terrified that Santa Claus is not going to bring him
anything for Christmas either.

John Savard
Old September 6th 10, 03:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1111_]

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

On 9/5/2010 2:17 PM, Quadibloc wrote:

As far as Glenn Beck's courage is concerned, though, well - he
probably isn't terrified that Santa Claus is not going to bring him
anything for Christmas either.

Do Mormons believe in Santa Claus, like normal people do?

Do North Dakotans believe in Santa Clause, like human beings do?

Mormons are from North Dakota?

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.