Can satellites leave contrails?

Old May 3rd 07, 01:44 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Theo

Default Can satellites leave contrails?

Was enjoying the celestial view last night around 0345 EDT near Boston
when a satellite went over. Heavens-above.com gives several candidates
for the time: Iridium 4 Rocket, ERBS, Cosmos 1455, Lacrosse 4 and AQUA.
Of these, the Lacrosse seems to be best fit for trajectory.

At one point, the satellite seemed to produce a short contrail for a
second or two. I assumed that this was eye fatigue. But could it
actually have been a visible trail from steering jets or some such?

Thanks-

Theo
Old June 3rd 07, 08:19 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley
marika[_1_]

Theo wrote in message ...
Was enjoying the celestial view last night around 0345 EDT near Boston
when a satellite went over. Heavens-above.com gives several candidates
for the time: Iridium 4 Rocket, ERBS, Cosmos 1455, Lacrosse 4 and AQUA.
Of these, the Lacrosse seems to be best fit for trajectory.

At one point, the satellite seemed to produce a short contrail for a
second or two. I assumed that this was eye fatigue. But could it
actually have been a visible trail from steering jets or some such?

Thanks-

sounds possible to me, but I think it's John Winston who is the usenet
contrails expert.
he's got a couple groups he hangs out at maybe you can find him and ask him.

on a different note

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_6027...ce=most_viewed

on 10/31/04 I was in Mobile training

the moon was bizarrely orange on that date, because of an eclipse.
There was no mistaking it

But it wasn't huge the way this moon was that we saw on 6/1/07

this moon seemed fuzzy and some of it looked purple to me

the Mobile one was crisp small and looked really pretty much ablaze
more of a red orange than a yellow orange

that day was a very dangerous ozone day, thus extra hazy, and,
consequently, that might account for the appearance and colors.

It's interesting to me that red ozone day isn't the worst day

the worst is purple ozone day, which means just don't go out

i hope we never get there

but considering how bad the ozone was that day and we're not even into
official summer yet. I expect more weird looking moons

and "the Goldbug variations" becomes of value here.
I just loved this book when I read it about 15 years ago

Powers other stuff is quite good too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Powers

i'm reminded of it because that orange purple moon might be the harmonic
scale nocturne that might
be a hemisemidemiquaver of the end of the rainbow .

gamut

the entire scale of musical notes
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The limited range of colors provided by a specific input device,
output device, or pigment set.
http://www.globalimaginginc.com/reso...glossary.shtml

mk5000

"When did your heart go missin'?
I treat you like a princess
But your life is just one big mess
When did you heart go missin'? "--rooney

Anyone suffering from contrails? Andrew Smallshaw Amateur Astronomy 26 May 5th 07 12:39 AM
leave em up there BlagooBlanaa History 4 July 6th 06 02:18 PM
Earth from Space: Contrails over the United States Jacques van Oene News 0 November 26th 05 01:19 PM
You want to leave the Earth? nedelec Astronomy Misc 3 February 22nd 05 03:21 AM
contrails Paul Murphy Amateur Astronomy 24 October 24th 04 07:00 AM