Diameter of Vixen LV 2.5 mm/1 1/4" eyepiece?

Old August 28th 03, 03:54 AM
Ken Long

Default Diameter of Vixen LV 2.5 mm/1 1/4" eyepiece?

I'm thinking about buying this eyepiece as I've heard only good things
about it. Only problem is I want to use it with my digital camera for
eyepiece projection photography. My camera adapter is sized for a
standard eyepiece diameter of 33.7mm and I can't find any specs on the
Vixen as to diameter. Can someone who has one measure it with and
without the rubber eyeguard and post the measurements here?

Tia,
Ken Long
Albuquerque
Old August 28th 03, 05:41 AM

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:54:01 GMT, Ken Long wrote:

I'm thinking about buying this eyepiece as I've heard only good things
about it. Only problem is I want to use it with my digital camera for
eyepiece projection photography. My camera adapter is sized for a
standard eyepiece diameter of 33.7mm and I can't find any specs on the
Vixen as to diameter. Can someone who has one measure it with and
without the rubber eyeguard and post the measurements here?

Tia,
Ken Long
Albuquerque

Here's a bad thing;
-Lousy contrast
-Not particularly sharp
-Poor sharpness.

I'd go with a decent Plossl and a barlow unless
you absolutely need the eye relief.
-Rich

Old August 28th 03, 11:39 AM
Tony Flanders

Ken Long wrote in message . ..

I'm thinking about buying this eyepiece as I've heard only good things
about it. Only problem is I want to use it with my digital camera for
eyepiece projection photography. My camera adapter is sized for a
standard eyepiece diameter of 33.7mm and I can't find any specs on the
Vixen as to diameter. Can someone who has one measure it with and
without the rubber eyeguard and post the measurements here?

I don't have the 2.5mm, but I believe that the whole line has identical
dimensions except for length. The exterior diameter of my 9mm LV is
37mm at the eye end with the cup extended and 40mm with the cup rolled
down. That is, if anything, rather narrow for a premium eyepiece.

Do you really mean eyepiece projection or afocal, e.g. using a digital
camera with a built-in, unremovable lens?

FWIW, the exterior diameter of my Adorama Plossls is 33mm at the eye
end, which seems typical for conventional EPs (Plossls, Orthos)
without a built-in negative element like the LV series.

- Tony Flanders

Old August 28th 03, 08:51 PM
Doogie Hoosier

Ken Long wrote in message . ..
(My apologies for the private reply. Fat fingers did it again.)

On 28 Aug 2003 03:39:40 -0700, (Tony Flanders)
wrote:

The exterior diameter of my 9mm LV is 37mm at the eye end with
the cup extended and 40mm with the cup rolled down.

Do you really mean eyepiece projection or afocal, e.g. using a digital
camera with a built-in, unremovable lens?

Thanks for those numbers. When I was in the store looking at this
eyepiece It looked like it would work if I removed the rubber eyecup
and attached my adapter to the bare metal after building it back up to
the needed diameter for a snug fit but I didn't want to remove the
rubber without owning the eyepiece in case something went wrong g.
Your numbers support my suspicions.

I was unaware of the term afocal for this kind of photography. I
thought it was called eyepiece projection. I use a digital camera with
a non-removable lense and I'm attaching it to the eye end of the
eyepiece with a metal adapter that screws onto the filter threads on
the camera.

Thanks,
Ken
(Reply address works as is.)

Eyepiece projection does not have a lens between the film or ccd.

I have the 2.5 Vixen. I use it on an Intes MN56, where it performs
well enough. I would not recommend it, though. It's image is dark,
yellowish, and narrow. And it is real hard to find the right place to
hold a camera behind it.

Doug Hosey