Markus Ludes NEEDS a Questar

Old August 27th 03, 08:09 PM
Richard DeLuca

Default Markus Ludes NEEDS a Questar

Things it has going for it:
-Size, as portable a small scope as there is.
-Build quality. As good as it gets in telescopes, last a lifetime,
etc.
-Performance for it's size. It will beat some small apos on planets,
not because of it's light throughput, but because of it's optical
quality.
-Flexibility. You can use it almost anywhere.
-Weight. It is actually lighter than it looks.
-Usability. It is more likely to get used more often than an ungainly
telescope like a Dob. This varies person to person, but it's been my
impression.
-Usable for other things aside from astronomy. You can even use it
indoors.
-Apochromatism. For all intents, visually it is colour free.
-Self-contained. No need to worry about dirty mirrors. Just one
surface is exposed for any length of time.
-Can be mounted on a relatively light tripod and used. Something that
can't be said for some larger scopes.

SNIP_

There are very few things around that are as beautifully made as a
Questar, and I appreciate that kind of stuff- some of us just do, and
some of us don't. I use mine a lot for birding, and for just looking
around the garden, and as a travel scope. It's been with me to almost
everywhere I've gone, including twice to 15,000 feet at Mount Everest.
And In a pinch, it's at least as good for visual astronomy as any 3" apo
out there, in one tiny little package.

The only other thing I would say is even more beautifully made is my
45-year-old Leica M3 camera, which was given to me by my uncle back
about 15 years ago. The best build-quality of any camera EVER made, and
I use it all the time.

Starry Skies,
Rich
Old August 27th 03, 08:40 PM

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 19:09:55 GMT, Richard DeLuca

[...]

You lucky *******! You've been to Everest!
-Rich

Old August 27th 03, 11:09 PM
Cousin Ricky

Davoud wrote in message ...
Coppy Littlehouse:
Questar?! What a piece of expensive, overpriced, crap. Get a Dob...

I take it that this opinion comes from your experience in owning a
Questar snip spirited defense and/or banging head against brick wall

Hook, line, and sinker!

Clear skies!

--
------------------- Richard Callwood III --------------------
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~

Old August 28th 03, 06:54 AM
Coppy Littlehouse

wrote in message

Things it has going for it:
-Size, as portable a small scope as there is.

[snip]
-Rich

Didn't S/S throw you out of the Questar group years ago?

Old August 28th 03, 04:01 PM
Shneor Sherman

"Markus Ludes" wrote in message news:8a05533d113dd853485fcc229a64b9ca.30545@mygat e.mailgate.org...
Okay more background info.
On my last home, observing was nearly not possible due southern hill and
soroundet by many hills. My wife liked to use the Questar for
Birdwatching and Moon.
Now nearly every evening we sitting at our neibors house drinking
italian and french wine, later the evening Mars show up over our house
roof and my wife and the neighbour girl like to watch him when he move
up, from the table

I really need one soonest, otherwise both will come soon to my backyard
observatory and destry my Mars observations

so , please, please help :-)

Markus

Markus,
Get her an ETX-90 RA! The optics are just as good, and it's much easier to find.
Won't even mention the price difference.
Clear skies ;-)
Shneor Sherman