Solis Lacus

Old August 26th 03, 10:18 PM
Pierre Vandevenne

Default Solis Lacus

David Knisely wrote in
:

It doesn't help that this image is not in a public access area (you
have to "join" the Astro-Physics users group).

At least they don't have a three year waiting list ;-0

The image posted earlier by the german chilean expedition was really
stunning (credit given when due) - I was especially impressed by its
detailed yet very natural look. This being said, the pictures on the same
page taken from Germany with the same instrument are nothing special...

--
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue - www.datarescue.com
Home of the IDA Pro Disassembler - leader in hostile code analysis

Old August 26th 03, 10:30 PM
Chris1011

It doesn't help that this image is not in a public access area (you have to
"join" the Astro-Physics users group).
--

No you don't. The image is accessible to anyone. If you can't get to the image
directly, just go to the usergroup, click on the files section, then scroll

Let me know if this does not work.

Roland Christen

Old August 26th 03, 11:00 PM
David Nakamoto

I agree with Phil (see bottom of message). Don't wait ! Mars is only
going to vary one part in 25 for the next three weeks, and that isn't
enough to really detect. Go out there and image, photograph, and/or
look. The show is not over by a long shot. And things are happening
on Mars. My images seem to show that parts of the Southern hemisphere
are getting darker and more pronounced in size. The North seems to
have gone the opposite way, but I've only been observing every Saturday
since the beginning of August.

Never be afraid of trying something new for the love of it.
Remember... amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic!

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message
lal_truckee wrote:
Rod Mollise wrote:

c (Bill Ferris) wrote in message

The eye of Mars is upon us. Solis Lacus was prominent along the

central
meridian, Sunday night. Thanks to a break in the monsoonal cloud
cover, I was
able to observe the red planet at 06:10 UT on August 24. The seeing

was
middling, so I was limited to 247X in my 10-inch, f/4.5 Newtonian.

HI Bill:

The seeing was pretty darned good here, and Solis Lacus looked amazing
in the C8....got a pretty good image of it too:

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/planets/index.htm

Nice shots.

I swear on a stack of S&T: I'm going to be ready to make such fine
photos the next time Mars is this close. There should be enough time to
prepare, even for me.

I hope you mean "almost this close", else you will have a very long wait.

Really no reason to wait that long. I think Mars will yield good images
through Sept. And it will be up earlier, too.

Phil

Old August 26th 03, 11:14 PM
Ratboy99

Hey David,

I think I had my map backwards (east to west), it may have been Daedalia that I
was seeing next to Solis Lacus. Either that, or it was very possibly Phoenicis
Lacus. Actually, I'm going with Phoenicis Lacus, due to the apparent separation
of the two. Anyway, what a blast!
rat
~( );

email: remove 'et' from .com(et) in above email address

Old August 27th 03, 05:55 AM
Bill Ferris

Rat wrote:
Hi Bill,

I had my 10" out last night and the seeing was quite good at times. I
couldn't help but notice that there was a "second" Solis Lacus next
to the first one. Using Mars Previewer I think I got a good look at
Juventae Fons.
rat
~( );

I think Juventae Fons is recorded in my sketch
(http://members.aol.com/billferris/mars082503.html ). It's the short projection
at the base of Aurorae Sinus. Coprates, the long dark finger-like projection
below Solis Lacus, is just above Juventae Fons in my drawing.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"
Email: Remove "ic" from .comic above to respond