More Modern Mechanix space goodies

Old July 10th 08, 09:42 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.poicy
Pat Flannery

Default More Modern Mechanix space goodies

First, Apollo as seen from 1964, with nifty illustrations (I can
remember reading this article as a kid):
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...n-to-the-moon/
Next, from 1949, a man declares he owns outer space:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...o-outer-space/
Emperor Ming ain't going to like this. :-D

Pat
Old July 10th 08, 12:05 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
First, Apollo as seen from 1964, with nifty illustrations (I can remember
reading this article as a kid):
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...n-to-the-moon/

It amazes me how many changes were made in the next five years; especially
to the LM (forward hatch and Ascent Stage propellant tank 'skins' for
example).

Old July 10th 08, 10:49 PM posted to sci.space.history

Next, from 1949, a man declares he owns outer space:http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...takes-claim-to...
Emperor Ming ain't going to like this. :-D

Pat

Interesting that the cutaway view of the combined CSM/LM shows a LOT
of room inside.
Also the error of the artwork showing the LM firing its descent engine
along the orbital velocity vector instead of against it. In order to
begin descent, they had to fire the engines opposite the velocity
vector.
The text editor got it right, but the artist was woefully ignorant of
orbital mechanics. If the LM would have fired its DPS engine as shown,
it would have gone into a higher lunar orbit....
Old July 10th 08, 11:03 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:
I wondered what the problem was - Pat; it's "sci.space.policy" not "poicy".
:-)

Too early in the morning. :-)

Pat
Old July 12th 08, 01:20 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Jul 10, 5:05 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:

It amazes me how many changes were made in the next five years; especially
to the LM (forward hatch and Ascent Stage propellant tank 'skins' for
example).

I was unhappy that they went and changed the name of the Lunar
Excursion Module for no particularly good reason.

John Savard

Old July 12th 08, 01:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Quadibloc wrote:
On Jul 10, 5:05 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:

It amazes me how many changes were made in the next five years; especially
to the LM (forward hatch and Ascent Stage propellant tank 'skins' for
example).

I was unhappy that they went and changed the name of the Lunar
Excursion Module for no particularly good reason.

It was because "Lunar Excursion Module" made it sound like something
you'd take along on a vacation.
I kid you not - the "LEM" name was thought to be too flippant, so it
became "LM".
The mid 1960's was a very odd time.
Major head trip, man...dig it?

Pat
Old July 12th 08, 02:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Quadibloc" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 5:05 am, "Alan Erskine" wrote:

It amazes me how many changes were made in the next five years;
especially
to the LM (forward hatch and Ascent Stage propellant tank 'skins' for
example).

I was unhappy that they went and changed the name of the Lunar
Excursion Module for no particularly good reason.

John Savard

I think the reason had something to do with future plans; there were plans
for a wheeled-version of the LM - it would definitely been an _excursion_
module then. So, to save confusion, they changed the name.

Old July 12th 08, 02:20 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
The mid 1960's was a very odd time.
Major head trip, man...dig it?

I can't picture you with long hair, wearing beads, smoking a bong and
wearing a giant peace sign around your net.....

ok, maybe the bong part...

Old July 12th 08, 07:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Martin Postranecky

Default [history] FW: NASA History conference on NASA's First 50 Years

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:35:34 -0500
From: "Garber, Stephen J. (HQ-TC000)"
and more NASA History volumes online

Greetings:

The agenda, abstracts and speaker biographies for our Conference "NASA's
First 50 Years" are now available at
http://history.nasa.gov/50thannnasaconf/index.html

The Conference will be held here in the NASA HQ Auditorium October
28-29. Mike Griffin is the first of several keynoters, and the program
features a stellar array of scholars addressing the full scope of NASA
History.

Mark your calendars!

Steve

Dr. Steven J. Dick
NASA Chief Historian
Director, NASA History Division
NASA Headquarters
300 E Street SW
Washington, D.C. 20546-0001

Folks:
Regarding the conference, there is no advance registration
required. For more logistical details, please see
http://history.nasa.gov/50thannnasac...logistics.html
online.
On another topic, you may be interested to know that we have
posted another dozen pdf versions of out-of-print NASA History volumes.
Please see http://history.nasa.gov/what.html#online for links to these
electronic volumes, but note that a number of these files are rather
large so may take a little time to download. We now have virtually all
volumes of the NASA History Series online. Special thanks to Colin
Fries for helping with this effort.
-Steve Garber