Going kakaa in space?

Old May 6th 07, 09:04 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Radium[_2_]

Default Going kakaa in space?

Hi:

How do astronauts do kakaa in space?

Urinating is easy. However, going kakaa isn't.

Does the kakaa go out of the spaceship while in space -- like the
urine does?

Thanks,

Radium

Old May 6th 07, 10:24 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Brian Gaff

Never heard it called that before...

Brian

Email:

ups.com...

Old May 6th 07, 01:33 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Ralph[_3_]

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/970411a.html

Old May 6th 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Radium[_2_]

On May 6, 2:24 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Never heard it called that before...

I'd rather say 'kakaa' that 's---t'. I find the word s---t annoying.
OTOH, I find the word kakaa painfully-hiliarious.

Help! I am dying of humor!

Old May 6th 07, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Radium[_2_]

On May 6, 5:33 am, "Ralph" wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi:

How do astronauts do kakaa in space?

Urinating is easy. However, going kakaa isn't.

Does the kakaa go out of the spaceship while in space -- like the
urine does?

Thanks,

Radium

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/970411a.html

Why can't they just flush the kakaa out of the spaceship like they can
with the urine?

Old May 7th 07, 08:05 AM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

"Radium" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 6, 5:33 am, "Ralph" wrote:
"Radium" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi:

How do astronauts do kakaa in space?

Urinating is easy. However, going kakaa isn't.

Does the kakaa go out of the spaceship while in space -- like the
urine does?

Thanks,

Radium

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/970411a.html

Why can't they just flush the kakaa out of the spaceship like they can
with the urine?

Solid waste in orbit is a hazard to other spacecraft, either manned or
unmanned. What would happen to a satellite colliding with any solid object
at relative speeds of several kn/second?

It would require considerable fuel and rocket motors, casings, etc to
de-orbit waste safely into the atmosphere during shuttle flights. So this
is not worth doing either.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old May 7th 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
studio

On May 6, 4:04 am, Radium wrote:
How do astronauts do kakaa in space?

Okay, a little history lesson...
The correct spelling is caca, not kakaa...that's how a bird might
vocalize.
The word caca actually comes from a lesser ancient Roman pagan god
Caca
'the god of excrementt'.
If you think about it, excrement was a fertilizer in the ancient world
much
like it can be today. So it was of some importance.

The answer to your question though is they use vaccuum.

Does the kakaa go out of the spaceship while in space -- like the
urine does?

No. Neither is ejected into space. It is stored in a lined septic tank
container and
brought back to earth on Shuttle missions.
I'm not sure about space station missions but I would guess it's
stored until the container is full, then the liner that
holds it is ejected into space towards the earth so the atmospher can
incinerate it
and a new liner installed.
The air filtration systems are fairly complex so that all unwanted
gases are
scrubbed from the air.

Old May 7th 07, 04:36 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
Brian Gaff

Well, I have never heard of it, but now look what we have done, woken the
comedians....:-)

Brian

Email:

ups.com...

Old May 7th 07, 08:13 PM posted to alt.astronomy,sci.astro,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,uk.sci.astronomy
robert casey

Solid waste in orbit is a hazard to other spacecraft, either manned or
unmanned. What would happen to a satellite colliding with any solid
object at relative speeds of several kn/second?

There would be no fans on any satellites, but "you know what" will hit
the fan if you end up destroying someone's satellite... :-)

It would require considerable fuel and rocket motors, casings, etc to
de-orbit waste safely into the atmosphere during shuttle flights. So
this is not worth doing either.

Have heard that how #2 was handled in the days of Mercury/Gemini/Apollo
was rather yucky. Something to the effect that an astronaut would have
to use a plastic bag taped to his ass, and after excreting, close it up,
and then they'd have to break a small capsule in that bag and kneed it
to sterilize it. Ick. They wore a "shjt mitt" to keep their hands
clean in case the bag developed any leaks... I'd be more concerned if
any leaks got into the air in the spacecraft and found its way to hit
the fans in the air filters.... :-(