Whoa! Columbia STS-1/2 images

Old July 7th 08, 09:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Joseph Nebus

Default Whoa! Columbia STS-1/2 images

I finally got to watching the final _When We Left Earth_
episode -- well, most of it, because I only realized ten minutes into
it that it was on and that's when I set the Tivo to start -- and while
it did follow roughly the storyline I'd have imagined, some of the
visuals were surprising.

The biggest one would be footage from either STS-1 or STS-2,
showing from the orbiter as one of the Solid Rocket Boosters and then
the External Tank falls away. How is that -- so far as I remember --
I've never seen these pictures before? The boosters falling away
ought to be at least as used as the Apollo 4 interstages dropping off
as good going-into-space establishing shots. And what other Great
Shuttle Movies haven't been getting any attention?

--
Joseph Nebus
Old July 8th 08, 05:01 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Joseph Nebus wrote:
I finally got to watching the final _When We Left Earth_
episode -- well, most of it, because I only realized ten minutes into
it that it was on and that's when I set the Tivo to start -- and while
it did follow roughly the storyline I'd have imagined, some of the
visuals were surprising.

The biggest one would be footage from either STS-1 or STS-2,
showing from the orbiter as one of the Solid Rocket Boosters and then
the External Tank falls away. How is that -- so far as I remember --
I've never seen these pictures before?

Back in those days, the ET umbilical well camera was film rather than
video. For whatever reason the film wasn't very widely distributed. I
think I'd only seen it once or twice before this show - most of what
I've seen from the umbilical well on STS-1 and 2 has been from the still
camera, not the film camera.

The boosters falling away
ought to be at least as used as the Apollo 4 interstages dropping off
as good going-into-space establishing shots. And what other Great
Shuttle Movies haven't been getting any attention?

I believe there's some Remote IMAX Camera System footage from STS-51
(ORFEUS/SPAS) that still hasn't seen the light of day. The good shots of
the orbiter against the Earth background and passing through the horizon
were used in /Destiny in Space/, and a couple of shots of the orbiter
spinning against a black space background were composited into a 3D shot
for one of the movies (can't remember which one). But I know I set up
more shots for them than that, and remember seeing some of them in the
"rough cut" showing. Just can't remember what was in them.
Old July 8th 08, 05:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

I believe there's some Remote IMAX Camera System footage from STS-51
(ORFEUS/SPAS) that still hasn't seen the light of day. The good shots of
the orbiter against the Earth background and passing through the horizon
were used in /Destiny in Space/, and a couple of shots of the orbiter
spinning against a black space background were composited into a 3D shot
for one of the movies (can't remember which one). But I know I set up more
shots for them than that, and remember seeing some of them in the "rough
cut" showing. Just can't remember what was in them.

I've seen that. It's amazing footage.

The current 3D IMAX Space Station movie is pretty good too.

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old July 12th 08, 04:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
J Waggoner

Where have you been? its all over Youtube. STS-1 STS-2 etc.

Old July 12th 08, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

J Waggoner wrote:
Where have you been? its all over Youtube. STS-1 STS-2 etc.

Yoo-Tube? Is that one of them there sites out on the Intarwebs?

(I was talking about high-quality video, silly.)
Old July 18th 08, 06:25 AM posted to sci.space.history
J Waggoner

Since January, youtube allows HI-Res uploads. Loading the original
file. Sometimes you have to add "&fmt=18" to the end of the URL to
get a hi-res playback.

Old July 18th 08, 06:59 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:25:09 -0500, J Waggoner
wrote:

Since January, youtube allows HI-Res uploads. Loading the original
file. Sometimes you have to add "&fmt=18" to the end of the URL to
get a hi-res playback.

....Two points:

1) What are they defining as "hi-res"?

2) On a side note, despite the fact I'd labelled you as a troll a
while back, after seeing what you've posted on your YTC, I now see
you're just seriously opinionated, just like me or Derek, and are
willing to stand up for your views. Which is why I've decided you
really have no place in Killfile Hell.

Of course, having leeched all your space history clips with YouTube
Downloader, it behooves you to continue the bribe by finding more
clips...:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

OM's Holy Grails of Space History Footage:

* Complete, uncut, uncensored network coverage by all three networks
of the A11 mission, from launch to landing to splashdown, complete
with commercials! And yes, even ABC's dismal coverage.

* A *complete* set of the quarterly status report films for the Saturn
program. Spacecraft Films found about half of them.

* Film of the "Beer Can" Slosh Baffle test for the Saturn I first
stage, so that finally the brands of beer used can be determined and
those breweries can be accredited for their contributions to the
manned space efforts.

* A complete set of all the opening credit segments for the manned
spaceflight coverage produced by See-BS, especially during the Apollo
missions. A15 had an excellent animation that depicted the mission
from launch to LM descent, with a really jazzy musical score that
*somehow* didn't come across as having been done by Hanna-Barbera or
left you with the feeling that Scooby and Shaggy were about to fall
out of the LM's front hatch!

* A hi-res cap of NASA's agitprop film for ASTP. Barring that, at
least good quality caps of either NBCs or See-BS's coverage. IIRC,
this was the only Apollo mission where NBC got better ratings than
See-BS did, and their coverage was a bit better due to the fact that
Unca Walter was under the weather with some sort of flu, and as we all
know what made the Eyeball Network's coverage superior to the other
networks in those days was Cronkite's anchoring.

* A good collection of those great NASA agitprop short films they made
between 1959 and 1967 that gave short highlights and updates on *all*
of NASA's recent achievements. These were the 3-5 minute ones that got
freely distributed to public broadcasting stations back in the NET
days before Pee-BS congealed into existence, and I honestly can't
recall the last time any of them were shown for nostalgia's sake on
NASA TV - possibly not since they were "NASA Select" in the late 80's.

* Two specific Al Shepard films: 1) The complete gag film for his
fifth anniversary dinner, and 2) The one where he's apparently
addressing the troops about how everyone will appreciate seeing the
*real* Alan Shepard.

* Finally, complete and uncensored coverage from at least *one* of the
networks of "Kaputnik!", including as much of the post-BOOM!
commentary as possible. If anything other than the explosion still
exists, it's probably kinescope, but that's better than nothing.

OM
--
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Of Whoa ~ ! Twittering One Misc 5 October 24th 05 06:02 AM
~ Ghasty, Ghostly ~ Who’s Hosting? Twittering One Misc 0 January 22nd 05 04:35 PM
act of kindness for the new year and in honor of Columbia PLS. BUY COLUMBIA PARTS AND COLUMBIA BODY PARTS OFF THE INTERNET NikaMS1 History 17 January 6th 05 08:48 AM
Whoa....what was that! Hogrider Amateur Astronomy 2 September 2nd 04 04:06 AM
TV REVIEW: 'COLUMBIA: FINAL MISSION'- Unheeded Concerns and the Columbia Disaster Lynndel Humphreys Space Shuttle 0 July 7th 03 01:50 PM