Another big prom today (9-22)

Old September 23rd 05, 01:28 AM
Michael McCulloch

Default Another big prom today (9-22)

I captured another big prominence on the NE limb of the Sun today with
my stock PST:

http://gamesforone.com/stars/images/sun9-22-05.jpg

It seems it has completely dissipated by Sep 23 00h UT.

Check out the cool movie from Big Bear (hurry before it changes) at:

http://nsosp.nso.edu/VIDEOIMG/isoon/latesthl.mpg

Is this an "eruptive prominence"?

---
Michael McCulloch
Old September 23rd 05, 01:36 AM
Michael McCulloch

I wrote:

Check out the cool movie from Big Bear (hurry before it changes) at:

http://nsosp.nso.edu/VIDEOIMG/isoon/latesthl.mpg

Oops. That movie is from the National Solar Observatory/Sacramento
Peak page:

http://nsosp.nso.edu/data/latest_solar_images.html

---
Michael McCulloch
Old September 23rd 05, 06:09 AM
David Knisely

Oops. That movie is from the National Solar Observatory/Sacramento
Peak page:

http://nsosp.nso.edu/data/latest_solar_images.html

That's OK, it is still a good movie. It shows an end-on "disparition
brusque" eruption and it is positively spectacular! This occurs when a
quiescent prominence exceeds a height of around 50,000 km or so above
the surface of the sun. The magnetic footpoint connections holding it
down decay, and the whole thing rises up like a helium filled balloon
when its string gets cut. This was probably a classic narrow "blade"
like quiescent prominence (probably a hedgerow) which typically is much
longer than it is wide. The back end of the quiescent prominence was
farthest away from us and curved slightly, allowing us to see it in more
of a profile aspect, while the front end was more edge-on to our line of
sight. The back end slowly peeled up and vanished first, leaving only
the front half which was pointed directly at us. It then lifted off
from back to front, so it looked like a smoke plume, ending when
"somebody shut off the smoke"! Darn, I wish I could have watched that
one! Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 23-28, 2006, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 23rd 05, 06:41 AM
Dave Mitsky

Michael,

Nice job! I viewed the large prominence early yesterday afternoon at
1630 UT through my PST. I even attempted a few afocal photos.

Dave Mitsky

Old September 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
Michael McCulloch

On 22 Sep 2005 22:41:55 -0700, "Dave Mitsky" wrote:

Michael,

Nice job!

Thanks! The PST is the best $500 I've ever spent on astro equipment.
The fact that you can check out the pictures from the National Solar
Obs and then stroll outside and see most of that detail for yourself
is impressive.

Here is a larger full disk view (with north up) from yesterday:

http://gamesforone.com/stars/images/fullsun-9-22.jpg

---
Michael McCulloch