I Have Found Utopia!

Old September 18th 05, 07:39 AM
jonathan

Default I Have Found Utopia!

Where does Mother Nature live?

Is She only in the forests, do we have to buy an RV
move to Bali or some remote farm to find Her?

Of course not, we simply need to understand where
Nature thrives, then finding Her becomes easy.
But we tend to think a natural setting is one that is
simple, and pleasant and easy. Certainly our 60 hour weeks
full of bitchy bosses, customers or bills must be as far
from Her as possible. Or so we think, and we feel far removed
from Nature and contentment.

Nature exists where complexity is at a maximum.

But with natural systems complex does NOT mean
complicated as in the conventional use. It means
to be as far from either opposite extreme as possible.
Neither simple, nor complicated. Neither static or chaotic.
But a balanced combination of the two extremes.
In a complexity view either extreme, static or chaotic, is considered
simple. Alone each could be given the value of one, while
at the edge between the two the value would be
....more...than two.

At the edge, or complex realm, the whole is greater than
the sum of it's parts. This is where spontaneous order
emerges, where selection and hill-climbing are initiated.
Where Mother Nature, Creation itself, and even God exists.

Once these concepts are understood, suddenly and with
a religious-like spell, Nature becomes easy to find.
It becomes a simple matter to place yourself in Her arms.
One suddenly realizes that the first order of business and life
is to set a goal, an incredibly lofty one. And then simply
search for the complex realm/Nature in everything you do.
This will set you on a naturally evolving path towards your
most precious goal.

And you'll also realize, and with religious-like belief, that Utopia
is not found in accomplishing that goal, but in the chase.

From that day on you'll never want again.
From that day on you'll feel as if you're swimming in beauty.
And once in Her arms you'll never leave.

From that day on you'll spend every day of your life
wiping away tears of joy and wonder.
All the while knowing the best is yet to come.

Nature and Utopia can be found in a simple value.

Between the extremes, neither science or religion.
Farthest from certainty, neither earth or sky.
More than two, but just less than three.

Jonathan

"One blessing had I, than the rest
So larger to my eyes
That I stopped gauging, satisfied,
For this enchanted size.

It was the limit of my dream,
The focus of my prayer,
A perfect, paralyzing bliss
Contented as despair.

I knew no more of want or cold,
Phantasms both become,
For this new value in the soul,
Supremest earthly sum.

The heaven below the heaven above
Obscured with ruddier hue.
Life's latitude leant over-full;
The judgment perished, too.

Why joys so scantily disburse,
Why Paradise defer,
Why floods are served to us in bowls,
I speculate no more."

By E Dickinson

Old September 23rd 05, 01:02 AM
Dearest Thomas

jonathan wrote:
Where does Mother Nature live?

Is She only in the forests, do we have to buy an RV
move to Bali or some remote farm to find Her?

It would be hard to move to Bali. Nice visit, though.
Don't miss the monkey forest.

[...]

From that day on you'll never want again.
From that day on you'll feel as if you're swimming in beauty.
And once in Her arms you'll never leave.

From that day on you'll spend every day of your life