Ayn Rand's Utopia

Old June 25th 15, 08:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

Default Ayn Rand's Utopia

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:40:14 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2
wrote this crap:

This is the 21st century and every wealthy democracy makes
health care available to ALL of its citizens. We are not an
underdeveloped country and we don't live in the lala land
of libertarianism. The case is over, closed. Done.
The ASA is here as intended.

That's what they said about prohibition. How'd that work out?

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old June 25th 15, 08:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 1:05:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 1:46:43 PM UTC-4, Uncarollo2 wrote:

Ironically, singer-payer would allow small businesses to flourish, without placing on small business owners the huge burden of providing the kind of employer-health care that large companies are able to buy in bulk.

Currently, small businesses have no "burden" to provide health care benefits and large businesses shouldn't have such burdens either.

Big businesses aren't buying health benefits "in bulk" they are merely spreading the cost around among their employees and paying them lower salaries than they would otherwise receive.

Large employers in our city have health insurance costs approximately half what we pay for the same policy from BCBS. So yes, they do pay less than we do as a small business.
Old June 25th 15, 08:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

wrote this crap:

This is the 21st century and every wealthy democracy makes
health care available to ALL of its citizens. We are not an
underdeveloped country and we don't live in the lala land
of libertarianism. The case is over, closed. Done.
The ASA is here as intended.

That's what they said about prohibition. How'd that work out?

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

I didn't write crap, you did. Now the Supreme Court also agrees. Can you swallow that? Gives you a headache knowing that your politics is a thing of the past? Your condition now covered under the ACA.
Old June 25th 15, 09:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 12:54:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, June 25, 2015 at 1:36:47 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

The left (properly) cares about the median person, not the average person.

Conservatives do so as well. Do not arrogate the virtue of compassion for yourself, leftie. Some of you actually fall quite short in regard to compassion.

Ah yes, compassion, a very conservative thing. I actually believe that to be true. However, some "conservatives" are only compassionate to those who already have more than enough. Take for example the conservative saint, Ronald Reagan. He was compassionate enough to bring lots of "special" people to the government trough. Once Reagan cut taxes for the wealthy they just never let up till now we have to pay them subsidies and give them tax breaks to take their factories overseas. The takers never stop once you let them into the trough of money and entitlements.
Old June 25th 15, 09:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:42:37 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2
wrote:

Indeed, no business should even be allowed to provide health care
benefits. Or more accurately, every benefit provided by an employer
should be taxed as income.

Having a healthy citizenry is a benefit to all of us, having the person next to you on the Metro not suffering from TB is in your interest, having a server not ill works for me, having school children benefit from accessible health care is of benefit to your children and the teachers. Civilization just works better with healthy citizens. Why does anyone have such a hard time understanding this ?

I don't know. Most of the developed world understands this just fine,
of course. The U.S. is nearly the only exception.

Our system of the government subsidizing some people's health through
untaxed employer benefits is one of the major things standing in the
way of improving our health care system. This is a benefit that
everybody should receive directly, independent of employment.
Old June 25th 15, 10:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:41:14 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2
wrote this crap:

Having a healthy citizenry is a benefit to all of us,
having the person next to you on the Metro not
suffering from TB is in your interest, having a server
not ill works for me, having school children benefit from
accessible health care is of benefit to your children
and the teachers. Civilization just works better with
healthy citizens. Why do regressives have such a
hard time understanding this ?

Preventive medicine is much cheaper and easier. You don't have to
force people to pay more taxes for health care.

Old June 25th 15, 10:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:30:29 -0400, Lord Vath
wrote:

Preventive medicine is much cheaper and easier. You don't have to
force people to pay more taxes for health care.

All the preventative care in the world won't stop most people from
requiring expensive medical services at some point in their lives.

Medical care can be paid for privately, it can be partly subsidized,
or the cost can be fully shared by the population. None can be said to
be right or wrong, it depends on political philosophy and the type of
society desired.

Most developed countries have settled on systems that are largely paid
for out public funds, with some degree of private participation.
That's an approach I find very good. That approach also seems to lead
to reduced health care costs. The U.S. has the highest costs of any
developed country, but that does not result in any better quality of
care.
Old June 25th 15, 11:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

wrote this crap:

Having a healthy citizenry is a benefit to all of us,
having the person next to you on the Metro not
suffering from TB is in your interest, having a server
not ill works for me, having school children benefit from
accessible health care is of benefit to your children
and the teachers. Civilization just works better with
healthy citizens. Why do regressives have such a
hard time understanding this ?

Preventive medicine is much cheaper and easier. You don't have to
force people to pay more taxes for health care.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

The ACA is all about preventative medicine. There are incentives for doctor's office visits rather than letting a condition fester until it is chronic as was the case before.

People who rail against this law really don't understand what it's all about. It is basically an insurance regulation law. It regulates what an insurance company can offer and how much profit it can reap - capped at 20% versus 40% or more before.

There are now incentives for people to become healthy thru smoking cessation, weight reduction etc. Nobody will force anyone to become more health conscious, it will simply become financially advantageous to your bottom line to be healthy. This is all driven by the insurance industry, not the government.
Old June 25th 15, 11:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Uncarollo2

wrote:

Preventive medicine is much cheaper and easier. You don't have to
force people to pay more taxes for health care.

All the preventative care in the world won't stop most people from
requiring expensive medical services at some point in their lives.

Medical care can be paid for privately, it can be partly subsidized,
or the cost can be fully shared by the population. None can be said to
be right or wrong, it depends on political philosophy and the type of
society desired.

Most developed countries have settled on systems that are largely paid
for out public funds, with some degree of private participation.
That's an approach I find very good. That approach also seems to lead
to reduced health care costs. The U.S. has the highest costs of any
developed country, but that does not result in any better quality of
care.

before the ACA anyone could go to the emergency room on the taxpayer's dime. Now they are required to have insurance. Personal responsibility.
Old June 26th 15, 02:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Vath

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:04:22 -0700 (PDT), Uncarollo2
wrote this crap:

People who rail against this law really don't understand
what it's all about. It is basically an insurance regulation law.

It's a unneeded tax that most people don't want and wouldn't vote for.
And the resident flat out lied to the people to ram it through.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

Prof. Frank J. Tipler's "A Liberal Utopia" James Redford Astronomy Misc 0 August 22nd 13 04:07 PM
Rand Simberg is back! Dale Carlson History 1 February 23rd 11 10:18 AM
I Have Found Utopia! jonathan Policy 1 September 23rd 05 01:02 AM
Utopia? Double-A Misc 2 July 15th 05 04:40 PM
For Rand Rand Simberg Policy 9 September 25th 03 06:27 PM