Mission 2 to Mars with humans.

Old February 28th 13, 02:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Nun Giver

Default Mission 2 to Mars with humans.

This would involve not landing the humans but rather using remote
robotic 'avatars' on the surface already prelanded on the surface.
Control from orbit would decrease the time lag to manageable spans
thus permitting human level effectiveness as the surface.

This would require a perfecting of a shielded vessel for all forms
of radiation and likely a spinning station/ship form to maintain
bone and muscle.

This would be able to do real science, IMHO with reduced
risks for the humans.

The proposed flyby first mission with humans looks to
me as being just irradiated spam in a can taking a fast
buzz by the planet.

Things that buzz may sting................Trig
Old February 28th 13, 03:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
hg

On 28/02/2013 07:52, Nun Giver wrote:
This would involve not landing the humans but rather using remote
robotic 'avatars' on the surface already prelanded on the surface.
Control from orbit would decrease the time lag to manageable spans
thus permitting human level effectiveness as the surface.

This would require a perfecting of a shielded vessel for all forms
of radiation and likely a spinning station/ship form to maintain
bone and muscle.

This would be able to do real science, IMHO with reduced
risks for the humans.

The proposed flyby first mission with humans looks to
me as being just irradiated spam in a can taking a fast
buzz by the planet.

Things that buzz may sting................Trig

Doesn't make sense to me. By the time we've achieved satisfactory
robotic avatars to mimic 90% of the physical capabilities of humans
our technology will be advanced enough to effortlessly land, protect
while on the surface and then launch humans back into Mars orbit
without breaking a sweat.

Old February 28th 13, 09:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Nun Giver

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:49:53 AM UTC-8, Hg wrote:
[...]

Understand they wouldn't be independent as I envision them; rather,
they would simply be remotes.
That tech is basically already here just look at robotic mules and
the two legged Japanese robots. They would have the needed sense
of balance while the orbiting astronaut could operate the arms.
Working on harden remotes would permit working in hot and colder
environments than those of Mars that would be crazy to land a
human into no matter what sort of suit was provided.

Remotes could be left on the surface. Launching from even Mars
is likely costly.

Imagine a remotely operated go cart with a camera operated from orbit, it certainly go faster than what we have on the surface of Mars now.

It would take the develop of robotic hand that transmit a sense
of feeling back to the operator. This should be a fairly trivial
threshold of engineering and I'd suspect is already available.

I wonder what sort of suit a human would require to walk around
an exotic ice environment at 94 degrees C. I'd be concerned
about melting into the dry ice............................Trig