Astro. Non receipt of binaries to this group

Old September 17th 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
John Davies

Default Astro. Non receipt of binaries to this group

Hi Group,

I am still having trouble receiving binaries to this group even though
Demon, my ISP, says there appears to be no problem. Maybe the group
isn't as active as it was(?) or maybe the posts are not getting through
the Turnpike software which I use. Whatever the answer, is there another
site where posts to this group can be viewed? Bear in mind that I am in
the UK and only able to connect via dial-up.

Thanks,
jpd
--
John Davies
Old September 17th 08, 07:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

John Davies wrote:
Hi Group,

I am still having trouble receiving binaries to this group even though
Demon, my ISP, says there appears to be no problem. Maybe the group
isn't as active as it was(?) or maybe the posts are not getting through
the Turnpike software which I use. Whatever the answer, is there another
site where posts to this group can be viewed? Bear in mind that I am in
the UK and only able to connect via dial-up.

Thanks,
jpd

Something is blocking them. I've never heard of Turnpike so can't say
if it is involved but if you get images at other newsgroups then that
isn't the problem.

You can always see the images at:
http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

It updates only a few times a day so not as current as a news feed but
does get virtually all posts and attachments. It will show you what is
not reaching you.

Rick

Old September 18th 08, 01:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

SBCGLOBAL is now blocking this group entirely. I had to go back to Earthlink

SBCGLOBAL was killing messages that were larger than a certain size:
typically no jpegs bigger than 1024 x 768 were getting through before they
killed this group entirely

I have heard there is some paranoia about propagating kiddie porn that is
behind this latest set of restrictions of the binary groups

Old September 18th 08, 04:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Bounce Baby

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:23:16 -0700, "Richard Crisp"
wrote:

[...]

This is one of my favorite newsgroups. I hope it does not get
eliminated because there are so many good astronomy photos available
through it. Some day when I can make a decent astro photo, I will
share it here.
Old October 30th 08, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Oldish Git

"John Davies" wrote in message
Hi Group,

I am still having trouble receiving binaries to this group even though
Demon, my ISP, says there appears to be no problem. Maybe the group isn't
as active as it was(?) or maybe the posts are not getting through the
Turnpike software which I use. Whatever the answer, is there another site
where posts to this group can be viewed? Bear in mind that I am in the UK
and only able to connect via dial-up.

Same ISP, same problem here, John (Posted from a demon ADSL a/c).
It seems to be affecting non-binary groups, too, in my case (nothing
from alt.comp.peripherals.mainboard.asus since 10/10/08 and that's
a very active NG.) This message also as a test, obviously.

Rob (~52N, ~1W)

Old October 30th 08, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Beta Persei

John & Rob,
you could have a look on
http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25
where all the post are mirrored. It come in handy when the newsserver drops.
Clear skies,
--------
Beta Persei
45° 35' N