_really_ strange space suit

Old December 30th 07, 03:18 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

Default _really_ strange space suit

"Dave Michelson" wrote in message
A single arm on the rescue ball might have made some sense.

"Yoohoo!" waving arm "Here I am!"

Old December 30th 07, 08:14 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:
"Dave Michelson" wrote in message

A single arm on the rescue ball might have made some sense.

"Yoohoo!" waving arm "Here I am!"

You know what they'd do?
You would be hanging onto the rescue lanyard with that as they reeled
you into the second Shuttle.
And God help you if you let go of it.
The whole thing was another great example of early dead-end Shuttle
technology.

"It's a Rescue Ball!"
"Whats it used for?"
"You can carry astronauts from one Shuttle to a rescue Shuttle with it."
"Can we get another Shuttle up in time to rescue a stranded crew if one
gets marooned in orbit?"
"Hell no, of course not.... but it sends the right message to the public!"

"It's a Emergency Tile Repair Kit!"
"Can it fix damage to the tiles and allow a safe reentry?"
"Hell no...but it sends the right message to the public!"

"It's a Bail-Out Slide Pole!"
"They can escape from the Shuttle with this thing?"
"Well... yeah...for around the last three minutes of the flight if luck
is with them....but it sends the right message to the public!"

"It's a SAFER Suit!"
"And what does it do, pray tell?"
"If a EVAing astronaut floats off, another astronaut can go rescue him!"
"Does it have enough Delta V to do that?"
"Hey look, if it works, it works. If not, then we're only out one extra
astronaut, and he got to die heroically, like in a science fiction
movie...the public will love it!"

"It's a Robotic Flying Camera Ball! AERcam Sprint! It can check out the
underside of the Shuttle for damage once its in orbit!"
"Can it be operated under there?"
"Hell no...but it sends the right message to the public, and it looks
really cool, like that thing that Luke Skywalker did light-saber
practice with in Star Wars...the public will love it! "

The only one of those that possibly panned out was the SAFER suit, and
on Columbia they sure as hell weren't going to send out someone in one
of those to have a peek at the port wing, as they weren't going to be
doing any EVAs on that flight, so why bring one of those along?
Those are only for unexpected emergency situations.

Pat

Old December 31st 07, 05:48 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
You know what they'd do?
You would be hanging onto the rescue lanyard with that as they reeled you
into the second Shuttle.
And God help you if you let go of it.

I've been playing waaay too much LEGOS Star Wars lately...the thought of
this ball with an arm just makes me...laugh...

And Leia just shakes her little plastic heinie there at the Catina...

"Hey look, if it works, it works. If not, then we're only out one extra
astronaut, and he got to die heroically, like in a science fiction
movie...the public will love it!"

Well, in Liftoff!, a failed rescue attempt gets points even if it's fatal to
the rescuer, usually more than enough to offset the ones lost from the first
bunch of dead astronauts.

Never tried to mount a rescue in BARIS, so I don't know if it works the
same. Can't get BARIS to run on my XP and Vista machines, anyway. Anyone got
a CD copy they can spare?

Old January 1st 08, 11:08 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Markus Baur[_2_]

Never tried to mount a rescue in BARIS, so I don't know if it works the
same. Can't get BARIS to run on my XP and Vista machines, anyway. Anyone got
a CD copy they can spare?

isnt it strange that there is STIll interest in BARIS (or a
derivative..) - why does none of the game developers do something
about it ..

servus

markus

Old January 1st 08, 11:22 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Markus Baur wrote:

isnt it strange that there is STIll interest in BARIS (or a
derivative..) - why does none of the game developers do something
about it ..

Probably the amount of effort needed to make it versus expected profits
from it.
Unlike Halo, it's not going to lend itself to fast-paced violent action.
So today's zero attention span crowd will find it very boring.
Even the Army figured that one out: http://www.goarmy.com/aarmy/
I like this part: "The game is designed to provide an accurate portrayal
of Soldier experiences."
Which means around once for every five hundred times you play you
actually do get your legs blown off for real and then get shipped off to
a really crappy VA hospital where, if you are lucky, they have a Pong
game on the TV to help you relax. ;-)

Pat
Old February 29th 08, 04:22 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
DR SMITH

I'm Gumby Dammit!

(Eddie Murphy from SNL)