Ham radio pass

Old July 18th 09, 11:40 AM posted to sci.space.station
Brian Gaff

Default Ham radio pass

Last night, shortly after the Shuttle docked to the station, I heard Frank
or is that Franck?, talking in the foreign on the 2 metre ham band approx
145.78mhz

Brian

Email:

Old July 18th 09, 08:36 PM posted to sci.space.station
André, PE1PQX

Het is zň dat Brian Gaff formuleerde :

Here is the answer: http://www.ariss-eu.org/2009_07_17.htm

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old July 18th 09, 08:39 PM posted to sci.space.station
André, PE1PQX

Brian Gaff schreef :
Last night, shortly after the Shuttle docked to the station, I heard Frank or
is that Franck?, talking in the foreign on the 2 metre ham band approx
145.78mhz

Brian

Additional info: schoolcontacts are performed indeed on the 2 meter
ham-band, the frequency normally used is 145.800 MHz, simplex.
If the packet-radio mode is on, the frequency probably is 145.825 Mhz,
simplex also.

Please read more on www.ariss-eu.org or http://www.rac.ca/ariss/

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old July 19th 09, 11:18 AM posted to sci.space.station
André, PE1PQX

Brian Gaff beweerde :
It was probably .8 but you have to allow for Doppler of course and I did have
to tweak the knob a bit for clarity.

Very strong signal here though, in UK

Brian

Every ISS pass results in a strong signal, that's for sure.
Over a year ago I recorded a school-contact between ISS and a school
somewhere in the UK... have to look where I left it.

I was able to use the ARISS station aboard the ISS for relaying packet
frames. Soon I hope to receive a 25 year-anniversary certificate "Ham
radio in space" (this reminds me to send a e-mail to that manager)
My ham-radio callsign is PE1PQX.

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny

Old July 20th 09, 10:56 AM posted to sci.space.station
André, PE1PQX

Brian: There is an other schoolcontact pending, you might be able to
listen in to this one.
I was able to hear the schoolcontackt scheduled yesterday evening
(CET).

Quote from ARISS-EU e-mail:

July 20, 2009

ARISS CONTACT PLANNED WITH SCHOOL IN PORTUGAL

An International Space Station school contact has been planned with
participants at Escola E.B.2/3 de S. Romao do Coronado, Trofa, Portugal
on 21 July. The event is scheduled to begin at approximately 17:07 UTC,
i.e. 18.07 local time and 19.07 CEST.

The contact will be direct between OR4ISS and CT1HHP. The contact is
expected to be conducted in English.

E. B. 2,3 S. Romao do Coronado is a public school situated in Trofa,
in the north of Portugal, not very far from Oporto (31 Km north).
Nowadays, Trofa is basically a rural area, but is slowly becoming more
surburban due to the development of industry and trade. This school is
mainly attended by children aged between 9 and 15. In addition to key
subjects, school tries to offer other activities (theatre, music, art)
and involve the community. The school has about 650 students.

One of the pupils, Bruno Tedim Guerra (12 years old), is among the
winners of the ESA T-Shirt competition for the OasISS mission. He is an
intelligent, attractive and creative student, who likes comics,
especially « Les Aventures de Tintin ». He is always good-humoured and
plays guitar.

Participants will ask as many of the following questions as time
allows:

1. How many times have you been in space? In what circumstances?
2. Do you like football? What is your favorite Portuguese football
team and your favorite football player?
3. How many astronauts are there in the shuttle?
4. How long have you been an astronaut?
5. When you were a child, did you want to be an astronaut?
6. How long do you have to stay in space?
7. How do you communicate with your family?
8. Do you have Internet access in space?
9. What happens if you are sick? Do you have medicine to treat
yourself?
10. What is the temperature outside and in the space station?
11. Do you like computer games? What are your favorites?
12. How do you generate and store electricity?
13. How much time does it take you to go around the Earth?
14. What do you do with your rubbish?
15. How does your day at the station go?
16. Can you see any objects flying in space?
17. How was your trip from the Earth to the space station?
18 .What is life like in zero gravity?
19. Do you ever get out of the spaceship? How do you manage to do so?
20. Does the Earth look beautiful from space?

ARISS is an international educational outreach program partnering the
participating space agencies, NASA, Russian Space Agency, ESA, CNES,
JAXA, and CSA, with the AMSAT and IARU organizations from participating
countries.

ARISS offers an opportunity for students to experience the excitement
of Amateur Radio by talking directly with crewmembers onboard the
International Space Station. Teachers, parents and communities see,
first hand, how Amateur Radio and crewmembers on ISS can energize
youngsters' interest in science, technology and learning.

73
Gaston Bertels, ON4WF
ARISS Chairman

--
"Jumpin' without a parachute? Kinda dangerous, ain't it?" - Bugs Bunny