One very strange graphic

Old April 13th 09, 08:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default One very strange graphic

How many things can you find wrong in this picture?:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...f9fbbd8f_b.jpg

Pat
Old April 13th 09, 10:44 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Steve Vernon

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
How many things can you find wrong in this picture?:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...f9fbbd8f_b.jpg

Pat

I don't know much about much, but I know...

1. the crew of a Soyuz rides in the back (the descent module)

2.the Vostok booster and the Soyuz booster are not drawn to the same scale.

Steve Vernon

Old April 13th 09, 10:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alfred S. Dert[_2_]

Pat Flannery schrieb:
How many things can you find wrong in this picture?:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...f9fbbd8f_b.jpg

1) The "hypothetical 3-man Vostok" wasn't hypothetical.
It was called "Voskhod" and was the same size as the
Vostok spacecraft.

2) The Soyuz 19 was crewed with two cosmonauts only

3) Soyuz cosmonauts should sit in the descent module,
not in the orbital module
(maybe no mistake, but poor drawing?)

4) The thrust of the Soyuz rocket wasn't 223500 kN,
but 223500 lbs = 994 kN

5) The thrust of the Saturn V wasn't 34.000.000 MN,
but "only" 34 MN

6) ASTP wasn't launched by Saturn V, but by Saturn-IB
(maybe no fault, just ASTP and Saturn V given as
unrelated examples?)

7) The Soyuz descent module isn't spherical
and does no ballistic re-entry
(only in case of malfunction)

Anything else?
Old April 13th 09, 10:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Apr 13, 3:57 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
How many things can you find wrong in this picture?:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...f9fbbd8f_b.jpg

Where did this come from? Someone out there did a lot of work to
create this sort of graphic.

Mike
Old April 13th 09, 11:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alfred S. Dert[_2_]

OM schrieb:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:46:53 +0200, "Alfred S. Dert"
wrote:

Anything else?

...There was no "hypothetical 3-man Mercury"

OM

Anybody can think of a 3-man Mercury,
and if Andrew Liebchen did,
there was a hypothetical 3-man Mercury.
Old April 14th 09, 03:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Chris Jones

"Alfred S. Dert" writes:

Pat Flannery schrieb:
How many things can you find wrong in this picture?:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...f9fbbd8f_b.jpg

1) The "hypothetical 3-man Vostok" wasn't hypothetical.
It was called "Voskhod" and was the same size as the
Vostok spacecraft.

And the Vostok spacecraft was quite a bit larger than Mercury, not that
you would get that idea from the drawing.

Another nit is that Mercury wasn't supposed to reenter with the
retropack still attached, as the drawing shows it doing. It *did* do it
once (John Glenn on Friendship 7), but that was a special case (trying
to hold the feared loose heat shield in place, a fear brought on by a
faulty sensor).

2) The Soyuz 19 was crewed with two cosmonauts only

3) Soyuz cosmonauts should sit in the descent module,
not in the orbital module
(maybe no mistake, but poor drawing?)

I'm pretty sure 3 can fit in the orbital module, but not in that
configuration (they'd be probably oriented with their heads toward the
front, sitting around a table). Their were 3 people on Soyuz 19 at
times during their docked operations with the Apollo half of the ASTP.
Also, the Soyuz 19 had a different docking system than shown (a 4
petaled "androgynous" system rather than the probe shown). Many Soyuz
*have* flown with this docking system, however.
Old April 14th 09, 05:24 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
David Spain

Pat Flannery writes:

How many things can you find wrong in this picture?:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/...f9fbbd8f_b.jpg

Pat

OK, I'll fess up! Neither I nor my memory had *anything* to do with this one!

:-)

Dave
Old April 14th 09, 06:09 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alfred S. Dert wrote:

Anything else?

The Mercury going into orbit on the Redstone?
Or heading back into the atmosphere with the retro-pack still attached?
(with apologies to John Glenn).
Or the fact that you want the ablative heatshield thickest in the
center, not at the edges?
In fact, it would be hard to come up with something more subtly
screwed-up than this illustration, both in details and the overall
concept it's trying to argue for.

Pat
Old April 14th 09, 07:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alfred S. Dert wrote:

Anybody can think of a 3-man Mercury,
and if Andrew Liebchen did,
there was a hypothetical 3-man Mercury.

And of course "Big Gemini" which had more astronauts aboard than you
could shake a stick at: http://www.astronautix.com/craft/bigemini.htm
....if that's your idea of a good time.
Say the magic woid, and the NASA Blue Goose Shuttle will descend. :-)

Groucho
Old April 14th 09, 07:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Chris Jones wrote:
I'm pretty sure 3 can fit in the orbital module, but not in that
configuration

They had damn well better hope they can fit up their, as that's where
the toilet is located. :-)
So where's the dinner table?
Simple, it folds down over the toilet when it's not in use.
I'm not kidding, that was actually how it was done on the early versions
of Soyuz. :-D
Actually, the orbital module was fairly roomy on the Soyuz; in fact,
between the descent and orbital module Soyuz had more cubic feet of
living area than the Apollo CM... despite the fact that the whole three
module Soyuz spacecraft only weighed around as much as the Apollo CM due
to the weight of the huge diameter Apollo CM heatshield.
We really should have gone with the three-module GE Apollo design
concept, which was very similar to the Soyuz one... but NASA was
dead-set that it was going to be a squat cone with the giant and heavy
heatshield that that implied.
With making the Orion CM basicly a scaled-up Apollo CM, we are now
replicating a big mistake from the early 1960's in regards to weight and
internal volume versus ability to carry a crew safely back to earth.

Pat