Daily Report #4491

Old November 19th 07, 03:41 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4491

Notice: Due to the conversion of some ACS WFC or HRC observations into
WFPC2, or NICMOS observations after the loss of ACS CCD science
capability in January, there may be an occasional discrepancy between
a proposal's listed (and correct) instrument usage and the abstract
that follows it.

DAILY REPORT****** # 4491

PERIOD COVERED: UT November 16, 17 & 18, 2007 (DOY 320,321,322)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non-
standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER date/time
mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to the
header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated with
the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

S/C 11320

NICMOS Focus Monitoring Cycle 16

This program is a version of the standard focus sweep used since cycle
7. It has been modified to go deeper and uses more narrow filters for
improved focus determination. A new source was added in Cycle 14 in
order to accommodate 2-gyro mode: the open cluster NGC1850. This
source is part of the current proposal. The old target, the open
cluster NGC3603, will be used whenever available and the new target
used to fill the periods when NGC3603 is not visible. Steps: a) Use
refined target field positions as determined from cycle 7 calibrations
b) Use MULTIACCUM sequences of sufficient dynamic range to account for
defocus c) Do a 17-point focus sweep, +/- 8mm about the PAM mechanical
zeropoint for each cameras 1 and 2, in 1.0mm steps. For NIC3 we step
from -0.5mm to -9.5mm relative to mechanical zero, in steps of 1.0mm.
d) Use PAM X/Y tilt and OTA offset slew compensations refined from
previous focus monitoring/optical alignment activities.

WFPC2 11312

The Local Cluster Substructure Survey {LoCuSS}: Deep Strong Lensing
Observations with WFPC2

LoCuSS is a systematic and detailed investigation of the mass,
substructure, and thermodynamics of 100 X-ray luminous galaxy clusters
at 0.15z0.3. The primary goal is to test our recent suggestion that
this population is dominated by dynamically immature disturbed
clusters, and that the observed mass-temperature relation suffers
strong structural segregation. If confirmed, this would represent a
paradigm shift in our observational understanding of clusters, that
were hitherto believed to be dominated by mature, undisturbed systems.
We propose to complete our successful Cycle 15 program {SNAP:10881}
which prior to premature termination had delivered robust weak-lensing
detections in 17 clusters, and candidate strongly-lensed arcs in 11 of
these 17. These strong and weak lensing signals will give an accurate
measure of the total mass and structure of the dark matter
distribution that we will subsequently compare with X-ray and Sunyaev
Zeldovich Effect observables. The broader applications of our project
include 1} the calibration of mass-temperature and mass-SZE scaling
relations which will be critical for the calibration of proposed dark
energy experiments, and 2} the low redshift baseline study of the
demographics of massive clusters to aid interpretation of future high
redshift {z1} cluster samples. To complete the all-important high
resolution imaging component of our survey, we request deep WFPC2
observations of 20 clusters through the F606W filter, for which
wide-field weak-lensing data are already available from our Subaru
imaging program. The combination of deep WFPC2 and Subaru data for
these 20 clusters will enable us to achieve the science program
approved by the Cycle 15 TAC.

WFPC2 11233

Multiple Generations of Stars in Massive Galactic Globular Clusters

This is a follow-up to recent HST imaging of NGC 2808, which
discovered that its main sequence is triple, with three well-separated
parallel branches {Fig.~1}. Along with the double MS of Omega
Centauri, this challenges the long-held paradigm that globular
clusters are simple, single stellar populations. The cause of this
main sequence multiplicity in both clusters is likely to be
differences in helium abundance, which could play a fundamental role
in the understanding of stellar populations. We propose to image seven
more of the most massive globular clusters, to examine their main
sequences for indications of splitting.

ACS/SBC 11215

New Sightlines for the Study of Intergalactic Helium: Dozens of
High-Confidence, UV-Bright Quasars from SDSS/GALEX

The reionization of IGM helium is thought to have occurred at
redshifts of z=3 to 4. Detailed study of HeII Lyman-alpha absorption
toward a handful of QSOs at 2.7z3.3 demonstrated the high potential
of such IGM probes, but the critically small sample size limits
confidence in cosmological inferences. The requisite unobscured
sightlines to high-z are extremely rare, but SDSS provides 5800, z3.1
QSOs potentially suitable for HeII studies. We've cross-correlated
SDSS quasars with GALEX UV sources to obtain dozens of new, high
confidence, candidate sightlines {z=3.1-4.9} potentially useful for
detailed HeII studies with HST. We propose brief, 2-orbit
reconnaissance ACS SBC prism exposures toward each of the best dozen
new quasars, to definitively verify UV flux down to HeII. Our combined
SDSS/GALEX selection insures a high confirmation rate, as the quasars
are already known to be UV bright in GALEX. Our program will provide a
statistical sample of HeII sightlines extending to high redshift,
enabling future long exposure follow-up spectra with the SBC prism, or
superb quality COS or STIS spectra after SM4. Stacks of our prism
spectra will also directly yield ensemble information. Ultimately, the
new sightlines will enable confident measures of the spectrum and
evolution of the ionizing background, the evolution of HeII opacity,
the epoch of helium reionization, and the density of IGM baryons.

FGS 11211

An Astrometric Calibration of Population II Distance Indicators

In 2002 HST produced a highly precise parallax for RR Lyrae. That
measurement resulted in an absolute magnitude, M{V}= 0.61+/-0.11, a
useful result, judged by the over ten refereed citations each year
since. It is, however, unsatisfactory to have the direct,
parallax-based, distance scale of Population II variables based on a
single star. We propose, therefore, to obtain the parallaxes of four
additional RR Lyrae stars and two Population II Cepheids, or W Vir
stars. The Population II Cepheids lie with the RR Lyrae stars on a
common K-band Period-Luminosity relation. Using these parallaxes to
inform that relationship, we anticipate a zero-point error of 0.04
magnitude. This result should greatly strengthen confidence in the
Population II distance scale and increase our understanding of RR
Lyrae star and Pop II Cepheid astrophysics.

WFPC2 11202

The Structure of Early-type Galaxies: 0.1-100 Effective Radii

The structure, formation and evolution of early-type galaxies is still
largely an open problem in cosmology: how does the Universe evolve
from large linear scales dominated by dark matter to the highly
non-linear scales of galaxies, where baryons and dark matter both play
important, interacting, roles? To understand the complex physical
processes involved in their formation scenario, and why they have the
tight scaling relations that we observe today {e.g. the Fundamental
Plane}, it is critically important not only to understand their
stellar structure, but also their dark-matter distribution from the
smallest to the largest scales. Over the last three years the SLACS
collaboration has developed a toolbox to tackle these issues in a
unique and encompassing way by combining new non-parametric strong
lensing techniques, stellar dynamics, and most recently weak
gravitational lensing, with high-quality Hubble Space Telescope
imaging and VLT/Keck spectroscopic data of early-type lens systems.
This allows us to break degeneracies that are inherent to each of
these techniques separately and probe the mass structure of early-type
galaxies from 0.1 to 100 effective radii. The large dynamic range to
which lensing is sensitive allows us both to probe the clumpy
substructure of these galaxies, as well as their low-density outer
haloes. These methods have convincingly been demonstrated, by our
team, using smaller pilot-samples of SLACS lens systems with HST data.
In this proposal, we request observing time with WFPC2 and NICMOS to
observe 53 strong lens systems from SLACS, to obtain complete
multi-color imaging for each system. This would bring the total number
of SLACS lens systems to 87 with completed HST imaging and effectively
doubles the known number of galaxy-scale strong lenses. The deep HST
images enable us to fully exploit our new techniques, beat down
low-number statistics, and probe the structure and evolution of
early-type galaxies, not only with a uniform data-set an order of
magnitude larger than what is available now, but also with a fully
coherent and self-consistent methodological approach!

NIC3 11191

NICMOS Imaging of a z4 High-Redshift Ultraluminous Submillimeter
Source

We propose 16 orbits of deep NICMOS 1.6 um imaging of GOODS850-5, a
unique z4 candidate SCUBA source that is bright in the submillimeter
{submm} but extremely faint at all other wavelengths. GOODS850-5 is a
11 mJy 850 um source discovered in our GOODS- N SCUBA survey. It does
not have a radio counterpart and its accurate location was recently
determined with the SMA interferometer. It is not detected by the
GOODS-N HST ACS imaging and is just above the detection limit of the
ultradeep Spitzer imaging at 3.6-24 um. Its faint radio flux and its
Spitzer color suggest a redshift of z4, and potentially even z6. It
has an incredible star formation rate of ~1000 solar mass per year,
and it can quickly grow into a 10^11 solar mass massive galaxy. Radio
faint submm sources like GOODS850-5 may be a new population of
high-redshift massive galaxies that are not picked up by any of the
previous optical, near-IR, and radio surveys, and therefore it is
crucial to obtain the redshift of GOODS850-5. However, because of its
extreme optical faintness, the only way to constrain its redshift is
photometric redshift with the existing Spitzer photometry and the
proposed NICMOS 1.6 um photometry. NICMOS is the only instrument that
can provide information about its redshift and morphology among all
space- based and ground-based instruments at all wavelengths. The
proposed observation will provide unique insight on galaxy evolution
and mass assembly at high redshift.

WFPC2 11178

Probing Solar System History with Orbits, Masses, and Colors of
Transneptunian Binaries

The recent discovery of numerous transneptunian binaries {TNBs} opens
a window into dynamical conditions in the protoplanetary disk where
they formed as well as the history of subsequent events which sculpted
the outer Solar System and emplaced them onto their present day
heliocentric orbits. To date, at least 47 TNBs have been discovered,
but only about a dozen have had their mutual orbits and separate
colors determined, frustrating their use to investigate numerous
important scientific questions. The current shortage of data
especially cripples scientific investigations requiring statistical
comparisons among the ensemble characteristics. We propose to obtain
sufficient astrometry and photometry of 23 TNBs to compute their
mutual orbits and system masses and to determine separate primary and
secondary colors, roughly tripling the sample for which this
information is known, as well as extending it to include systems of
two near-equal size bodies. To make the most efficient possible use of
HST, we will use a Monte Carlo technique to optimally schedule our
observations.

NIC2 11155

Dust Grain Evolution in Herbig Ae Stars: NICMOS Coronagraphic Imaging
and Polarimetry

We propose to take advantage of the sensitive coronagraphic
capabilities of NICMOS to obtain multiwavelength coronagraphic imaging
and polarimetry of primordial dust disks around young
intermediate-mass stars {Herbig Ae stars}, in order to advance our
understanding of how dust grains are assembled into larger bodies.
Because the polarization of scattered light is strongly dependent on
scattering particle size and composition, coronagraphic imaging
polarimetry with NICMOS provides a uniquely powerful tool for
measuring grain properties in spatially resolved circumstellar disks.
It is widely believed that planets form via the gradual accretion of
planetesimals in gas-rich, dusty circumstellar disks, but the
connection between this suspected process and the circumstellar disks
that we can now observe around other stars remains very uncertain. Our
proposed observations, together with powerful 3-D radiative transfer
codes, will enable us to quantitatively determine dust grain
properties as a function of location within disks, and thus to test
whether dust grains around young stars are in fact growing in size
during the putative planet-formation epoch. HST imaging polarimetry of
Herbig Ae stars will complement and extend existing polarimetric
studies of disks around lower-mass T Tauri stars and debris disks
around older main-sequence stars. When combined with these previous
studies, the proposed research will help us establish the influence of
stellar mass on the growth of dust grains into larger planetesimals,
and ultimately to planets. Our results will also let us calibrate
models of the thermal emission from these disks, a critical need for
validating the properties of more distant disks inferred on the basis
of spectral information alone.

NIC2 11143

NICMOS imaging of submillimeter galaxies with CO and PAH redshifts

We propose to obtain F110W and F160W imaging of 10 z~2.4 submillimeter
galaxies {SMGs} whose optical redshifts have been confirmed by the
detection of millimeter CO and/or mid-infrared PAH emission. With the
4000A break falling within/between the two imaging filters, we will be
able to study these sources' spatially resolved stellar populations
{modulo extinction} in the rest-frame optical. SMGs' large
luminosities appear to be due largely to merger-triggered starbursts;
high-resolution NICMOS imaging will help us understand the stellar
masses, mass ratios, and other properties of the merger progenitors,
valuable information in the effort to model the mass assembly history
of the universe.

WFPC2 11130

AGNs with Intermediate-mass Black Holes: Testing the Black Hole-Bulge
Paradigm, Part II

The recent progress in the study of central black holes in galactic
nuclei has led to a general consensus that supermassive {10^6-10^9
solar mass} black holes are closely connected with the formation and
evolutionary history of large galaxies, especially their bulge
component. Two outstanding issues, however, remain unresolved. Can
central black holes form in the absence of a bulge? And does the mass
function of central black holes extend below 10^6 solar masses?
Intermediate-mass black holes {10^6 solar masses}, if they exist, may
offer important clues to the nature of the seeds of supermassive black
holes. Using the SDSS, our group has successfully uncovered a new
population of AGNs with intermediate-mass black holes that reside in
low-luminosity galaxies. However, very little is known about the
detailed morphologies or structural parameters of the host galaxies
themselves, including the crucial question of whether they have bulges
or not. Surprisingly, the majority of the targets of our Cycle 14
pilot program have structural properties similar to dwarf elliptical
galaxies. The statistics from this initial study, however, are really
too sparse to reach definitive conclusions on this important new class
of black holes. We wish to extend this study to a larger sample, by
using the Snapshot mode to obtain WFPC2 F814W images from a parent
sample of 175 AGNs with intermediate-mass black holes selected from
our final SDSS search. We are particularly keen to determine whether
the hosts contain bulges, and if so, how the fundamental plane
properties of the host depend on the mass of their central black
holes. We will also investigate the environment of this unique class
of AGNs.

ACS/SBC 11116

Exploring the Early FUV History of Cool Stars: Transition Regions at
30 Myr

Stellar magnetic activity derives from the so-called "dynamo," a
hydromagnetic interplay between overturning plasma motions and
differential rotation in stars cool enough to support significant
surface convection zones. The magnetic fields resulting from dynamo
action are in turn are responsible for a wide range of high-energy
emissions, including the spectacular outbursts called flares. Dynamo
powered magnetic activity is not confined solely to stars, but also
must occur, for example, in accretion disks of all descriptions, and
in some planets. A great deal is known about magnetic activity in
middle-aged G dwarfs like our Sun, thanks to its proximity. Less is
known, however, about the much younger stars, newly emerged from the
T-Tauri stage. Yet, it is during this phase that they reach the peak
of their magnetic activity, and subsidiary influences, such as the
impact of ionizing radiation and strong coronal winds on developing
solar systems, also are maximum. One of the key missing ingredients in
our current understanding are measurements of FUV emissions of such
stars, to complement the extensive collections of coronal {1-10 MK}
X-ray measurements, particularly from recent ROSAT, Chandra and
XMM-Newton surveys. We propose to conduct sensitive ACS/SBC prism
ultraviolet spectroscopy of selected fields in two young {30 Myr}
Galactic clusters--IC 2391 and IC 2602--to inventory the key C IV
emission index {~0.1 MK} over a much larger and more diverse sample of
coeval objects than has been possible hitherto. A key question is
whether the FUV emissions also suffer the "saturation" and
"super-saturation" at short rotation periods seen in coronal X-rays,
or whether they continue to rise in the fastest rotating stars. The
saturation behavior of the different temperature regimes holds
important clues to the organization of the surface active regions on
these very young stars, and should allow us to distinguish among
several competing models.

WFPC2 11103

A Snapshot Survey of The Most Massive Clusters of Galaxies

We propose the continuation of our highly successful SNAPshot survey
of a sample of 125 very X-ray luminous clusters in the redshift range
0.3-0.7. As demonstrated by the 25 snapshots obtained so far in
Cycle14 and Cycle15 these systems frequently exhibit strong
gravitational lensing as well as spectacular examples of violent
galaxy interactions. The proposed observations will provide important
constraints on the cluster mass distributions, the physical nature of
galaxy-galaxy and galaxy-gas interactions in cluster cores, and a set
of optically bright, lensed galaxies for further 8-10m spectroscopy.
All of our primary science goals require only the detection and
characterization of high-surface-brightness features and are thus
achievable even at the reduced sensitivity of WFPC2. Because of their
high redshift and thus compact angular scale our target clusters are
less adversely affected by the smaller field of view of WFPC2 than
more nearby systems. Acknowledging the broad community interest in
this sample we waive our data rights for these observations. Due to a
clerical error at STScI our approved Cycle15 SNAP program was barred
from execution for 3 months and only 6 observations have been
performed to date - reinstating this SNAP at Cycle16 priority is of
paramount importance to reach meaningful statistics.

ACS/SBC 10872

Lyman Continuum Emission in Galaxies at z=1.2

Lyman continuum photons produced in massive starbursts may have played
a dominant role in the reionization of the Universe. Starbursts are
important contributors to the ionizing metagalactic background at
lower redshifts as well. However, their contribution to the background
depends upon the fraction of ionizing radiation that escapes from the
intrinsic opacity of galaxies below the Lyman limit. Current surveys
suggest escape fractions of a few percent, up to 10%, with very few
detections {as opposed to upper limits} having been reported. No
detections have been reported in the epochs between z=0.1 and z=2. We
propose to measure the fraction of escaping Lyman continuum radiation
from 15 luminous z~1.2 galaxies in the GOODS fields. Using the
tremendous sensitivity of the ACS Solar- blind Channel, we will reach
AB=30 mag., allowing us to detect an escape fraction of 1%. We will
correlate the amount of escaping radiation with the photometric and
morphological properties of the galaxies. A non-detection in all
sources would imply that QSOs provide the overwhelming majority of
ionizing radiation at z=1.3, and it would strongly indicate that the
properties of galaxies at higher redshift have to be significantly
different for galaxies to dominate reionization. The deep FUV images
will also be useful for extending the FUV study of other galaxies in
the GOODS fields.

WFPC2 10766

A Deep X-ray Survey of the Small Magellanic Cloud

We request deep observations of 2 representative fields in the Small
Magellanic Cloud with Chandra and HST, with the primary goal of
measuring the luminosity function and space density of X-ray binaries
and other sources down to an unprecedented faint luminosity limit of
2x10E32 erg/s. This will be the faintest XLF ever obtained for any
galaxy, including our own. HST photometry to 24th magnitude in V and I
filters will identify the sources and provide Fx/Fopt, which will be
vital in quantifying the LMXB population and in measuring the
properties of the first coronally active stars ever detected in an
external galaxy.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS: (None)

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

************************ SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver* **** 78****************** 78

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4345 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 20th 07 04:46 PM
Daily Report # 4344 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 19th 07 02:06 PM
Daily Report # 4343 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 April 18th 07 06:46 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM