CAIB's photo slip!

Old September 3rd 03, 04:50 AM
Pat Flannery

Default CAIB's photo slip!

Anybody else catch that photos 6.1-2 and 6.1-3 on page 123 of the CAIB
report are reversed? White ET insulation foam was used on the _earlier_
flights.

Pay

Old September 3rd 03, 05:00 AM
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Anybody else catch that photos 6.1-2 and 6.1-3 on page 123 of the CAIB
report are reversed? White ET insulation foam was used on the
_earlier_ flights.

Pay

Or maybe not...because in figure 6.1-5 on page 125, a white looking tank
is shown again as being from an MSFC report on STS 112...does the tank
actually change that much in color during ascent, or it it some effect
of bright illumination washing out the orange/russet color?

Pay...er, Pat

Old September 5th 03, 02:55 AM
Pat Flannery

LooseChanj wrote:

Both of the tanks on pg 123 are orange. The *only* flights with white tanks
were STS-1 and 2. I remember watching the STS-3 launch on tv shortly after
moving to Dallas, and thinking it looked so wrong.

Yeah, I botched it big time on that one...I think the white appearance
may be due to a filter on the camera (note that the ocean behind the
tank looks blue though) the same color diminution can be seen on
in-orbit shots of Mir. It may look "wrong" in orange- but if we were to
paint an ad for Florida orange juice on it....

Pat