A tool for turning ra/dec into az/alt?

Old August 26th 11, 05:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

Default A tool for turning ra/dec into az/alt?

I have a list of objects by ra/dec, but would like to know their az/alt
for my location at a specific time and date. Any simple programs that
can do this?
Old August 26th 11, 05:48 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_2_]

On Aug 26, 9:25*am, "W. eWatson" wrote:
I have a list of objects by ra/dec, but would like to know their az/alt
for my location at a specific time and date. Any simple programs that
can do this?

Chapter 13 of "Astronomical Algorithms* (Jean Meeus) gives a series of
simple
formulas for transformations from equatorial to ecliptical and
equitorial to
altazimuth coordinates.
Old August 26th 11, 08:04 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson[_2_]

On 8/26/2011 9:48 AM, Ben wrote:
On Aug 26, 9:25 am, "W. wrote:
I have a list of objects by ra/dec, but would like to know their az/alt
for my location at a specific time and date. Any simple programs that
can do this?

Chapter 13 of "Astronomical Algorithms* (Jean Meeus) gives a series of
simple
formulas for transformations from equatorial to ecliptical and
equitorial to
altazimuth coordinates.

Tue enough, but I was hoping to find that someone already had done the
programming. It would be useful to have tonight. I'll likely figure it
out in the near future, if it's not available.
Old August 26th 11, 10:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Aug 26, 9:25*am, "W. eWatson" wrote:
I have a list of objects by ra/dec, but would like to know their az/alt
for my location at a specific time and date. Any simple programs that
can do this?

Try this...

http://www.geologynet.com/astronomy/altair.htm

.... I think it is exactly what you are looking for...

\Paul A
Old August 26th 11, 11:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On 2011-08-26, W. eWatson wrote:
I have a list of objects by ra/dec, but would like to know their az/alt
for my location at a specific time and date. Any simple programs that
can do this?

Most planetarium programs will report the altitudes and azimuths of the
objects they display. The Excel spreadsheet "What's Up Tonight Doc"
gives altitudes and azimuths for the objects it lists. Look on the North
Houston Astronomy Club web site: http://www.astronomyclub.org/wud.htm.
You can figure it yourself using the tools in Duffet-Smith's or Meeus's
books.

Bud
Old August 27th 11, 11:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 09:25:32 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:
I have a list of objects by ra/dec, but would like to know their

az/alt
for my location at a specific time and date. Any simple programs

that
can do this?

Check out:
http://stjarnhimlen.se/calc/haz_en.html