New Boeing Orbital Space plane design a capsule?

Old August 24th 03, 03:28 PM
Rand Simberg

Default New Boeing Orbital Space plane design a capsule?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:07:31 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Colonel
K" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

"jeff findley" wrote in message
.. .
Who's definition of "best"? Instead of immediately working on a
cheap, reliable CRV back when Freedom was announced, NASA wasted time
and money going down repeated dead ends, the last of which was X-38.

Just for clarity, X-38 wasn't a dead end. It was a project that was canceled
to save money. There was nothing inherently wrong with the vehicle or the
technology, and neither had anything to do with the cancellation.

No, given the dumb requirements (one of which included providing
employment in Houston and letting JSC employees build something in
house), it was fine. It was the requirements that were flawed, not
the vehicle itself. But of course, once the requirements problem is
fixed, then the vehicle makes no sense.

Old August 24th 03, 04:43 PM
Colonel K

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
ROTFL. Letting a competitor know which designs have been discarded is
as valuable as letting him know which designs are proceeding. (And I
doubt that Boeing considers internal business information anything but
proprietary.)

Only if the competitor knows *why* the design was discarded. You really
should see someone about that ROTFL problem.

-Colonel K

Old August 24th 03, 05:26 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Christopher
M. Jones wrote:
"Anthony Frost" wrote:
Cunning disguise if he was a floor sweeper, though I suspect you'd find
it was really Agent 57. Colonel 'K' has been exposed in such scurilous
rags as http://www.angelfire.com/in/luvwiththe80s/colkinfo.html

Ahhh, Danger Mouse, it's a shame they don't show reruns.

They sell a disturbingly large amount of DVDs. I used to live with a PhD
student who'd actually gone and bought them all... very disturbing...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 24th 03, 05:43 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Craig Fink :

Who cares? I don't. I generally judge people by what they write, not by
what their resume looks like.

That is ok if you have been reading postings from someone for the last couple
of months, but how do you judge the statements of someone new who clearly
states that they are in the know? Sometimes the opinion of a newbie should
be listened to closely sometimes not, how do you judge? Also my response was
more to Colonel K himself, explaining why if he gives no information about
himself, he should not expect evryone to just accept his statements as facts.

Speaking of experts (a posting or two back), I've always found the simplist

way to find "the expert" in just about any orgainization is to ask someone
in the orgainization a very simple question. "When you have very difficult
problem with such and such, who do you go to, to find the answer to the
problem?" He'll point you in the right direction. Want verification, ask
another person the same question. If you get the same answer, you found the

expert.

Yes that works, and if you had tried that lately in this UseNet group
'Colonel K' would not be at the top of the list would it? That is my point,
don't expect to be treated as an expert when no-one knows anything about you.

If you think everyone should be posting resumes and coworker affidavits to
be taken seriously during a Usenet conversation, the best place to start is

with Earl Colby Pottinger's first, and then if everyone get's the hint and
start doing the same, ok. And if the don't, that's ok too. But quit asking.

Craig Fink

For the last year plus mine website URL is always posted with each and every
message I post. Five minutes on my website should tell you a lot about where
my interests are. Do I need a detail resume from a poster? No! But when
someone I never heard of states that their opinions is right and most others
are wrong I would like to know what knowledge base was used to reach that
opinion. And I see nothing wrong in wanting to know thier company's interest
in the matter too.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old August 26th 03, 04:10 AM
James Steven York

Interesting. Let the delicate biological payload ride back in gentle
airplane style, and let the rest of the reusable hardware take a
harder (and possibly riskier) ballistic trip to the ground. That's
thinking outside the box, for sure.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:34:56 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:50:44 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

Look at this Boeing design with an Apollo shaped module attached to
the rear of the OSP plane.

http://boeingmedia.com/images/one.cfm?image_id=6902

Looks to me like a Spacecraft / Launch Vehicle Adapter, with retro
thrusters to ensure no recontact at separation.

D'oh! The write-up says otherwise.

Brian