Boeing pulls Delta IV from commercial launch market

Old July 22nd 03, 06:59 PM
Jake McGuire

Default Boeing pulls Delta IV from commercial launch market

"Kim Keller" wrote in message om...
Funny that I was just discussing this issue with a coworker yesterday. Were
you listening in? The end of the balloon tank hasn't occurred yet, but there
is a definite feeling that LM wants to migrate everything over to Atlas V in
the not-to-distant future, perhaps sooner than originally planned, just as
Boeing is doing with Delta IV. To me this indicates that LM's profit margin
on ELVs isn't as good as Rand seems to suggest elsewhere.

Why does it mean that?

Lockheed could be making money hand over fist with Atlas II/III, but
as long as they're making close to the same amount of money on Atlas V
now, they'll still come out ahead by moving everyone over and shutting
down the balloon tank infrastructure.

-jake
Old July 23rd 03, 12:38 AM
Kim Keller

"Jake McGuire" wrote in message
om...
"Kim Keller" wrote in message

om...
Funny that I was just discussing this issue with a coworker yesterday.

Were
you listening in? The end of the balloon tank hasn't occurred yet, but

there
is a definite feeling that LM wants to migrate everything over to Atlas

V in
the not-to-distant future, perhaps sooner than originally planned, just

as
Boeing is doing with Delta IV. To me this indicates that LM's profit

margin
on ELVs isn't as good as Rand seems to suggest elsewhere.

Why does it mean that?

Because LM is not exactly burning down the world with new launch orders.
That tells me they can't compete very well on price, hence the desire to
consolidate operations onto one booster assembly line.

Lockheed could be making money hand over fist with Atlas II/III, but
as long as they're making close to the same amount of money on Atlas V
now, they'll still come out ahead by moving everyone over and shutting
down the balloon tank infrastructure.

What does their annual report indicate for that section of the company?

-Kim-

Old August 24th 03, 02:25 AM
Michael Kent

Henry Spencer wrote:

It's been clear for a while that Boeing would prefer to forget (and would
very much prefer that *customers* forget) that Delta III ever existed,
given its rather unsatisfactory early record.

Which is an odd reaction by customers, considering Delta III's early
record is about the same as Ariane V's.

MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |

Congratulations on this launch, by the way. You must be very proud.

Mike

-----
Michael Kent Apple II Forever!!
St. Peters, MO

Old August 24th 03, 05:18 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Michael Kent wrote:
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |

Congratulations on this launch, by the way. You must be very proud.

Not to mention very relieved! We've got some ideas for nifty follow-on
missions, but if MOST had failed, there wouldn't have been much chance of
selling them. They're not out of the woods yet, but it's going to help.