Are we getting anything of extreme value from the Mars probes?

Old July 7th 03, 07:18 AM
Littlemac558

Default Are we getting anything of extreme value from the Mars probes?

Are we getting our money's worth? I advocate taking explosives to Mars and
using them to gain rover access to the subsurface.
Old July 7th 03, 06:27 PM
Sander Vesik

Littlemac558 wrote:
Are we getting our money's worth? I advocate taking explosives to Mars and
using them to gain rover access to the subsurface.

And just what makes you qualified to jusge whetever either
scenario would give the ephemeral "you" the money's worth?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old July 8th 03, 01:36 AM
John Ordover

The experiment I want one of the Mars landers to do - and it's very
simple, so I'm not sure why they don't do it - is the following:

1) Get some martian soil
2) Heat it to around 70 degrees farenheit
3) Pour luke warm water on it.
4) Watch to see if anything grows.

I mean, you do that anywhere on Earth - even in the coldest part of
Antartica in midwinger - and stuff will grow. Sure, Martian life
might be very different, but if your idea is that it evolved when Mars
had water, let's see if it can grow in water now.
Old July 8th 03, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Buu

"Littlemac558" wrote in message
Are we getting our money's worth? I advocate taking explosives to Mars

and
using them to gain rover access to the subsurface.

I'll bet when this turns into a *serious* discussion, some military jackass
will want to put a nuclear bomb on the spacecraft to blast a hole, because
it would be such a nice 'show of force'.