Cold Cold Cold at Mt. Wilson Observatory

Old March 26th 06, 08:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Cold Cold Cold at Mt. Wilson Observatory

39 degrees. Misty rain. Snow on the ground.
The worst conditions I have ever experienced here.
Keeping warm in the Galley.

Did some configuring on my settings on the observatory computer, and
obviously did not open the dome. Delivered new operator stool to the 16
inch. Sits lower to the floor, has rolling castors and is adjustable in
height with a pneumatic piston.

Heated up some chili rice in the galley. Food always tastes better up
here at 5,000 feet.
Opened up a bottle of sparkly water that I bought in La Canada, and it
blew up in my face.
Forgot about the altitude effects going from sea level to 5,000 plus
feet. Also forgot how cold it can get up here. At home ealier today it
felt like 80 degrees.

But it is nice to be back here after a three month absence.

Matthew Ota

Old March 26th 06, 09:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

While not as cold as up there, away down here in Rosamond, it's not so much
the cold temp itself as it is the wind chil factor as it's been blowing all
day long and is still blowing. Got a nice clear sky overhead, but the wind
makes it so that I have stayed inside almost all day long. I just hope it
stops blowing for sunday night.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

oups.com...

Old March 26th 06, 01:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

It cleared up here so I fired up the 16 inch at 3:30 a.m.
Some glitches with the software, so I used workarounds.
My digital camera failed, and my notebook PC battery is dead.
But if this would have been a client session, it would have gone on OK.
We were going to have Pierce College last night,but the weather was
bad.

I will close the dome at sunrise.

Clear skies to you Starlord.

Old March 26th 06, 02:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Matthew Ota wrote:

39 degrees. Misty rain. Snow on the ground.
The worst conditions I have ever experienced here.
Keeping warm in the Galley.

Keeping warm is always a good idea!

Did some configuring on my settings on the observatory computer, and
obviously did not open the dome. Delivered new operator stool to the 16
inch. Sits lower to the floor, has rolling castors and is adjustable in
height with a pneumatic piston.

Reads like there's lot's of new "Toys'" since I was there in the early
60's.

Heated up some chili rice in the galley. Food always tastes better up
here at 5,000 feet.
Opened up a bottle of sparkly water that I bought in La Canada, and it
blew up in my face.

Just wait until you forget that again and rip open a bag of Potatoe chips.
Also ANY Warm Food on a Cold night is GOOD Food.

Forgot about the altitude effects going from sea level to 5,000 plus
feet. Also forgot how cold it can get up here. At home ealier today it
felt like 80 degrees.

I remember going from the "Valley" to Big Bear in the morning to play in
the snow and going to Santa Monica to Body Surf in the Afternoon - Southern
California can be .... interesting!

But it is nice to be back here after a three month absence.

Life is always better when one is going the things they like.

Crazy Ed

Old March 26th 06, 03:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Matthew Ota wrote:
39 degrees. Misty rain.

But did you get any viewing in? Misty rain suggests not.

Phil
Old March 26th 06, 05:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Ya I got up once and looked outside about 4am, nice and clear and the winds
where starting to die down. It's just after 8am right now and no winds, and
hazy sun, and if it stays this way threw the day, I'll set the vcr up for
recording the one show I like and then load up and head to the corner
tonight.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

ups.com...

Old March 26th 06, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Yes, returned to the dome at 3:30 and looked at some globs and at
Jupiter.

Closed the dome at sunrise

It is beautiful here at sunrise. Deer and squirrels were seen.

Right now there is abundant sunshine that I can see out of the library
window.

Matthew Ota
MWO

Old March 30th 06, 04:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Matthew Ota" wrote
39 degrees. Misty rain. Snow on the ground.......

Matthew,

39 degrees is cold?

In NY any clear night in winter will rapidly get below 10 degrees not
long after dark. It's hard to get the PCs to boot at temps like that. The
only good part is that it's easy to get an SBIG STL-1301E down to some
really low temps when the air temp is already at -30C!

George N

Old March 30th 06, 09:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

39 degrees.
Misty rain. Snow on the ground.
The worst conditions I have ever experienced here.
Heated up some chili rice in the galley. Food always tastes better up
here at 5,000 feet.
Forgot about the altitude effects going from sea level to 5,000 plus
feet.

heh heh, you've got to be kidding.

rat
~( );
40 deg N
28 deg F (right now..like summer practically)
7000 ft