Zoom out, Zoom in, animated video

Old August 11th 03, 02:59 PM
Matt

Default Zoom out, Zoom in, animated video

I've been trying to track down a video for some time now, and am hoping
someone here might be able to help me.

It starts with a boy on a small boat, it zooms out farther and farther,
past the planets and the solar system, the galaxy, and keeps going. It
then reverses and zooms back in to the boy, and then continues through the
boy's skin cells, atoms, and so on. It's an animated film, I saw it a few
years ago on T.V. (I live in Canada), and haven't seen it since.

It's an excellent film to help get an idea of the scale of the universe,
and I would love to watch it again, and show my nephew as he's been showing
interest in astronomy lately. Any tips would be much appreciated, thank
you.
Old August 11th 03, 04:41 PM
CeeBee

Matt wrote in alt.astronomy:

I've been trying to track down a video for some time now, and am
hoping someone here might be able to help me.

It starts with a boy on a small boat, it zooms out farther and
farther, past the planets and the solar system, the galaxy, and keeps
going. It then reverses and zooms back in to the boy, and then
continues through the boy's skin cells, atoms, and so on. It's an
animated film, I saw it a few years ago on T.V. (I live in Canada),
and haven't seen it since.

It's an excellent film to help get an idea of the scale of the
universe, and I would love to watch it again, and show my nephew as
he's been showing interest in astronomy lately. Any tips would be
much appreciated, thank you.

Powers of ten.

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/gifts...t.php?item=132

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 12th 03, 06:20 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Odysseus
writes

You must be thinking of the National Film Board's classic short
_Cosmic Zoom_, produced in 1968. It's available on video for about
$20; it also gets played as 'filler' once in a while on the Space
channel. I agree that it's a wonderful piece of work.

See http://cmm.onf.ca/E/titleinfo/index.epl?id=10911.

I couldn't get the sample clip to play (Netscape 4.7, Mac), but if
it's the right film you should be able to recognize it from the stills.

I'd guess that's the one I didn't know anything about! Thanks. In "The
Lost Worlds of 2001" Arthur Clarke says he's encountered two films using
the powers of ten idea (he describes a film using 1000 to 1 steps) "one
by Charles Eames" but doesn't describe the other.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old August 13th 03, 05:14 AM
Jim Fisher

"Matt" wrote in message
It starts with a boy on a small boat, it zooms out farther and farther,
past the planets and the solar system,

I could swear that this video (or something very like it) was on an episode
of Sagan's Cosmos.

There was something like it at the end of Men in Black, too.

Jim Fisher