Old A. C. Clarke Essay

Old July 19th 03, 04:36 PM
Rick DeNatale

Default Old A. C. Clarke Essay

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:43:54 +0000, Andre Lieven wrote:

Further trivia note: One actor seen in 2001, the film, connects the
world of Gerry Anderson to the works of Kubrick & Clarke.

But my favorite connection between 2001 and British Tele is Reginald
Perrin* (as in "The Fall and Rise of") playing one of the Russian
Scientists who try to grill Floyd during his layover on the space station.

*aka Leonard Rossiter
Old July 19th 03, 05:50 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Kent Betts
writes
"Christopher M. Jones"
I cut Kubrick a vast amount of slack because 2001 and The
Shining were much more his than the authors', and quite the
better for it. And the movies were still enough like the
books to wear their labels.

The Shining is word for word accurate in the movie....the most accurate film
adaptation I can think of.

Variety saw it differently.
"With everything to work with, director SK has teamed with jumpy Jack
Nicholson to destroy all that was so terrifying about SK's
best-seller... Kubrick sees things his own way, throwing 90% of King's
creation out".
Including the "shining" - the boy's clairvoyance.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old July 20th 03, 06:34 AM
Christopher M. Jones

"Kent Betts" wrote:
"Christopher M. Jones"
I cut Kubrick a vast amount of slack because 2001 and The
Shining were much more his than the authors', and quite the
better for it. And the movies were still enough like the
books to wear their labels.

The Shining is word for word accurate in the movie....the most accurate film
adaptation I can think of. It was also possibly S King's best novel.

The most telling data point I can think of is the difference
between Kubrick's The Shining and the made for TV movie
that King had a lot more control over. 'Nuff said.

Clockwork Orange was an example of a passable book transformed into a complete
vision. But in THe Shining...the quality of the book must have made Kubrick's
job a little easier.

The generally high quality of various King books adapted to
movies by various directors and producers would seem to
indicate that abundantly. I'll let others draw their own
conclusions on the same subject with regard to A.C. Clarke's
works and their movie versions...

Old July 20th 03, 06:38 AM
Christopher M. Jones

"Kent Betts" wrote:
The Shining is word for word accurate in the movie....the most accurate film
adaptation I can think of. It was also possibly S King's best novel.

P.S. In my view the original Harry Potter movie is the
most accurate and honest translation of book to movie I've
ever seen. If you've read the book and watched the movie
you'll know what I mean. Not only is the vast majority of
the material in the book kept intact in the movie, but the
tone and personality is maintained as well with
unbelievable accuracy.