David Levy moving to Astronomy

Old January 3rd 09, 04:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default David Levy moving to Astronomy

From the latest (Jan 2nd, 2009) "Astronomy" magazine news letter: "In
January 2009 world-renowned amateur astronomer and comet discoverer David H.
Levy joins Astronomy magazine as a Contributing Editor. Levy will write a
monthly column.."

First Stephen James O'Meara 'jumped ship' from S&T and moved to Astronomy
and now Levy. What's happening here?

George N

Old January 3rd 09, 05:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

On Jan 3, 9:56*am, "George Normandin"
wrote:
From the latest (Jan 2nd, 2009) "Astronomy" magazine news letter: "In
January 2009 world-renowned amateur astronomer and comet discoverer David H.
Levy joins Astronomy magazine as a Contributing Editor. Levy will write a
monthly column.."

First Stephen James O'Meara 'jumped ship' from S&T and moved to Astronomy
and now Levy. What's happening here?

George N

People move around all the time. This is nothing new. Also, I
understand David will continue to contribute to S&T.

Old January 3rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_1_]

On 3 Ιαν, 17:56, "George Normandin" wrote:
From the latest (Jan 2nd, 2009) "Astronomy" magazine news letter: "In
January 2009 world-renowned amateur astronomer and comet discoverer David H.
Levy joins Astronomy magazine as a Contributing Editor. Levy will write a
monthly column.."

First Stephen James O'Meara 'jumped ship' from S&T and moved to Astronomy
and now Levy. What's happening here?

George N

I was told about this development over two weeks ago and which also
surprised me given the recent developments at S&T (O'Meara, Fienberg
and now Levy).

With a new Editor-in-Chief at S&T, perhaps a new team is being
assembled.

Anthony.

Old January 3rd 09, 08:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:56:16 GMT, "George Normandin"
wrote:

First Stephen James O'Meara 'jumped ship' from S&T and moved to Astronomy
and now Levy. What's happening here?

I reckon they got better offers.

Bud
Old January 4th 09, 02:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jan 3, 10:56*am, "George Normandin"
wrote:
First Stephen James O'Meara 'jumped ship' from S&T and moved to Astronomy
and now Levy. What's happening here?

Whatever happened to S&T happened seventeen years ago, not recently.

Are either of those magazine even worth looking at any more? I gave up
on both a LONG time ago.
Old January 4th 09, 03:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jan 3, 8:56*am, "George Normandin"
wrote:
What's happening here?

I know that Sky and Telescope occasionally tries to move itself
towards a more popular orientation - to catch up with Astronomy
magazine. So maybe by being the more respected and technical
publication it is at a disadvantage.

Also, Meade used to buy several pages of ads in every issue, and now
doesn't do that anymore - so Sky and Telescope shrank recently.

Perhaps, what with the tight economy, the magazine is under some
pressure. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily in serious trouble.

John Savard
Old January 4th 09, 04:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Howard Lester[_1_]

wrote

Whatever happened to S&T happened seventeen years ago, not recently.

Are either of those magazine even worth looking at any more? I gave up
on both a LONG time ago.

--------------

I didn't resubscribe this year; I couldn't stand it anymore. It's become too
much like Astronomy, which I never respected in the first place with all the
"artist conceptions" and articles with vibrating white letters on black. S&T
lost its professional look years ago. To me, S&T is now too much money for a
lot less "meat" than even a year ago. Sue French's columns are about the
only ones I've saved from all the past issues I've thrown out.

Old January 4th 09, 06:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_4_]

Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote in
:

On 3 Ιαν, 17:56, "George Normandin" wrote:
From the latest (Jan 2nd, 2009) "Astronomy" magazine news letter: "In
January 2009 world-renowned amateur astronomer and comet discoverer
David

H.
Levy joins Astronomy magazine as a Contributing Editor. Levy will
write a monthly column.."

First Stephen James O'Meara 'jumped ship' from S&T and moved to
Astronomy and now Levy. What's happening here?

George N

I was told about this development over two weeks ago and which also
surprised me given the recent developments at S&T (O'Meara, Fienberg
and now Levy).

With a new Editor-in-Chief at S&T, perhaps a new team is being
assembled.

Anthony.

The magazines are doomed. They've failed to make the transition to the
net. In 10 years, the only magazines left will be women's fashion an
scandal sheets.
Old January 4th 09, 08:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Curtis Croulet

The magazines are doomed. They've failed to make the transition to the
net. In 10 years, the only magazines left will be women's fashion an
scandal sheets.

A home theater magazine that I subscribed to for several years abandoned
print to go web-only. I rarely visit the website. Does anybody? From my
standpoint, they may as well have simply folded.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old January 4th 09, 09:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Curtis Croulet

With a new Editor-in-Chief at S&T, perhaps a new team is being
assembled.

I had a long chat with S&T's new editor, Bob Naeye, at the Pacific Astronomy
and Telescope Show in September. I told him that this past summer was the
first time in almost 50 years that I considered not renewing my
subscription. I felt that S&T had become too much like Astronomy. Whatever
the merits of Astronomy or lack thereof, there's no point in my getting two
versions of the same magazine. Bob told me to expect some forthcoming
changes to S&T. There'll be more on astrophotography in the magazine
(techniques & equipment, not pictures), and more of the main articles will
be written by scientists rather than editors. However, he denied that the
magazine has been "dumbed down" in recent years. His editorial in the Feb
'09 issue conforms to this view.

The decline of advertising revenue is a serious issue. Meade in their
heyday bought, I think, 10 pages or something like that. At one time, there
was essentially a complete Meade catalog in the magazine. Not now. So
there are fewer pages in the magazine than a couple of years ago, though
still many more than the typical issue of the 1960s. I was told, however,
that circulation has actually increased a bit.

I also complained about the books & pubs offered by S&T. Sky Publishing
(their old name) was a one-stop source for a large variety of star atlases
and observing guides. Most of that is gone. Bob said New Track Media
considered themselves to have bought a magazine, not a book publisher. The
staff at S&T is far smaller than it used to be. However, they may restart
the book side of the business.

Earlier in the show, before I had the chance to talk to Naeye, I was
chatting with another S&T staffer, and an astronomy author everybody here
would recognize came up and said that he didn't like either magazine and
doesn't subscribe to them, even though he writes articles for both. I
wasn't sure what his complaint was. I was complaining that things had been,
well, "dumbed down," but he was standing beside me and complaining that some
articles were too technical, with too many unexplained acronyms.

BTW, Naeye is pronounced "noy-uh" (starts like "noise"), not "nye" or some
variant of that. He says the name is Flemish.

I know nothing about the status of David Levy with S&T -- whether he's
moving totally to Astronomy or doing both mags. I see him annually at the
Starry Nights Festival in Yucca Valley, and he said nothing about it this
last time. But I suppose he would not have been at liberty to say anything
at the time.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

David Levy Tom Glinos Amateur Astronomy 0 February 12th 07 04:40 AM
David Levy RMOLLISE Amateur Astronomy 28 February 10th 07 08:47 AM
David Levy bags another comet Matthew Ota Amateur Astronomy 7 October 15th 06 02:51 AM
David Levy and S & T error! Larry Stedman Amateur Astronomy 55 June 6th 06 05:03 AM
David Levy interviews Al Nagler. Steve D. White Amateur Astronomy 5 October 11th 03 12:46 AM