Converting Canon CRW (RAW) Files to FITS

Old August 21st 08, 08:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson

Default Converting Canon CRW (RAW) Files to FITS

Any recommendations on software to do the conversion in Subject?

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Old August 21st 08, 09:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:18:09 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

Any recommendations on software to do the conversion in Subject?

You can use Photoshop with FitsPlug (the free version will work fine for
this). Or you can use MaximDL. More generally, you can convert the RAW
files to 16-bit TIFF (the software that comes with your camera can do
this) and then use almost any astronomical imaging app, including free
ones like Iris, to read in the TIFF and save as FITS.

Keep in mind that there is no standard for saving color images in FITS
format. Different applications do so differently, and at a minimum you
may need to move around color planes. If you want to be absolutely safe,
split your raws into RGB channels and save each as its own FITS file.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 21st 08, 09:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
W. eWatson

wrote:

Any recommendations on software to do the conversion in Subject?

You can use Photoshop with FitsPlug (the free version will work fine for
this). Or you can use MaximDL. More generally, you can convert the RAW
files to 16-bit TIFF (the software that comes with your camera can do
this) and then use almost any astronomical imaging app, including free
ones like Iris, to read in the TIFF and save as FITS.

Keep in mind that there is no standard for saving color images in FITS
format. Different applications do so differently, and at a minimum you
may need to move around color planes. If you want to be absolutely safe,
split your raws into RGB channels and save each as its own FITS file.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Thanks, I'll likely go the Iris route, since I'm just learning it now. It's
likely I'll be converting the images to grey scale, since I'm going to be
taking images of spectra. It's somewhat odd that Canon has two cameras for
astrophotography, but they don't have software to convert RAW to FITS.

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/
Old August 22nd 08, 02:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

wrote:

Any recommendations on software to do the conversion in Subject?

You can use Photoshop with FitsPlug (the free version will work fine for
this). Or you can use MaximDL. More generally, you can convert the RAW
files to 16-bit TIFF (the software that comes with your camera can do
this) and then use almost any astronomical imaging app, including free
ones like Iris, to read in the TIFF and save as FITS.

Keep in mind that there is no standard for saving color images in FITS
format. Different applications do so differently, and at a minimum you
may need to move around color planes. If you want to be absolutely safe,
split your raws into RGB channels and save each as its own FITS file.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Thanks, I'll likely go the Iris route, since I'm just learning it now.....

For what it's worth (maybe not much): I've had problems using iris to
directly open Canon raw files. It will in fact do it, but everything turns
out way too green. What does work (as Chris suggested) is to use the Canon
software to convert the raws to tiff and then open the files in iris to
stack, etc. That has worked for me.

George N

Old August 22nd 08, 07:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Canon no longer produces these cameras for astrophotography...

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

e-mail: pausch at stjarnhimlen dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old August 22nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Terry B[_2_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message

For what it's worth (maybe not much): I've had problems using iris to
directly open Canon raw files. It will in fact do it, but everything turns
out way too green. What does work (as Chris suggested) is to use the Canon
software to convert the raws to tiff and then open the files in iris to
stack, etc. That has worked for me.

George N

You can convert the canon files directly into fits in Iris. The green is
solved by selecting a small square of background and running the command
"black"
Then open the digital photo tab and select RGB balance. A good starting
point is
red 2.0
green 1.0
blue 1.2
Quite good instructions can be found here
http://astro.ai-software.com/article...dslr_iris.html

Terry B
Armidale NSW

Old August 23rd 08, 04:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"Terry B" wrote

[...]

I did all of that stuff Terry. It never worked for me. I ended up with
open star clusters with nothing but green stars. Strangely, if I used the
Canon's jpg files the colors came out right. When I open regular photographs
in iris the Canon raws come out strongly green, but jpgs come out OK. I'm
now testing a Hutech mod'ed Canon DSLR, so I'll give it another shot with
using iris to directly open the raws, but I can always convert them to tiffs
before opening.

George N

Old August 23rd 08, 02:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
TR Oltrogge

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
Any recommendations on software to do the conversion in Subject?

While curious about the quality of images captured RAW by a particular Fuji
digital camera I stumbled on the free program DCRAW which claims to be able
to convert RAW files from hundreds of different cameras into TIFF format.
Three months ago I downloaded the C language source and compiled it with the
GCC compiler of my CYGWIN package under WindowsXP and was able to correctly
convert a RAW image posted by another photographer. I have done nothing with
it since. DCRAW is a command line application. Look for it at
http://cybercom.net:80/~dcoffin/ by clicking on "Decoding raw digital photos
in Linux".

Tim