Single photon double slit expe interpretation

Old January 10th 05, 05:14 AM
Greysky

Default Single photon double slit expe interpretation

"Landle" wrote in message
oups.com...

In the single photon double slit experiment where you shoot
single photon (one at a time) for a month. The screen would
still come out with an interference pattern. What's your
interpretation of it. Some say the photon splits and both
pass thru the slits and interfere with itself. Some say
quantum entanglement as in what the quantum eraser
experiments show. One of you (Frank likely) may say just
treat photon as particle with characteristics of wave
and don't ask any questions. Well. How can a particle
have a characteristic of wave unless the particle is
also a wave. As the single photon comes out of the
source, how can it morph into a wave and pass thru
both slits at the same time and then re form on the
screen, anyone can give an illustration of what happens
behind the scene or the morphing step by step from
particle to wave or something like that? Feymann said
this is the only mystery of quantum physics that
spook even Einstein. A hundred years later. Let's try
to understand what's behind the scene.

Landle

There is really a sensible way to understand the result of this experiment,
despite how seemingly confused Feynman was on the subject. First, it's
necessary to say up front that this result will also be applied to
particles, which behave the same way as photons, because otherwise people
would say that photons behave 'special' when compared with bits of matter.
Taint so Charley Brown. OK. A (particle) gets to the slit structure and a
'desision' is made to move down one slit or the other. The particle has a
probability of choosing either slit, and no matter what the chances of it
choosing a particular slit is, we do know that the probability of it either
being found in one slit or the other is 100% (or 0% if it hits the slit
material). It is safe to say that for a particle that doesn't impact the
slit barrier, path1 + path2 = 100% . Lets say the particle has a 60% chance
of moving along path 1 and chooses it accordingly. Does this mean path 2
ceases to exist? Nope. Because there was a definite probability (40%) of
this path being chosen, and because in a quantum decision, probability *must
always be conserved*, this path still exists even though the particle did
not choose it. Since the particle in one path would interact with a
particle in the other path, and because we can not say which path the
particle actually took, the particle will act as though it is being
interfered with by a ghost particle traveling along the other path
simultaneously. Another way of saying it is that the paths are what is
interacting, and the particle just gets caught up in the phase distortion,
so interference patterns are displayed. Even more fundamental, is that the
paths are interacting even when there is no particle traveling along either
one, but in this case the phase distortions are imaginary and we can't see
them. Or, to put it another way, it takes a particle to make imaginary phase
distortions visible. To learn more, look at my website:

Greysky

www.allocations.cc
Learn how to build a FTL radio

Old January 10th 05, 05:58 AM
Golden Boar

What would happen if there were more than 2 slits?

Old January 10th 05, 07:16 AM
Y.Porat

'Ghost particles' or 'imaginary phase distortions'
can be inveted only by ****en metemathicians
not by nature
so if you dont know just say 'i dont know'!!!!
Y.Porat
--------------------------

Old January 10th 05, 08:03 AM
Greysky

"Golden Boar" wrote in message
oups.com...
What would happen if there were more than 2 slits?

Bifurcation, that's what happens.

The neatest interference pattern you can have is with only 2 slits
contributing to the whole. The more slits you have the more pathways you get
the more complex the resultant interference pattern will be. Eventually you
will devolve the pattern stochastically to noise (no discernable pattern).
But that's OK too - quantum randomness is what makes the world go around

Greysky

www.allocations.cc
Learn how to make a FTL radio.

Old January 10th 05, 08:12 AM
Greysky

"Y.Porat" wrote in message
oups.com...
'Ghost particles' or 'imaginary phase distortions'
can be inveted only by ****en metemathicians
not by nature
so if you dont know just say 'i dont know'!!!!
Y.Porat
--------------------------

Not only do I know what's happenin', so do you and you don't need no ****en
metematics either! Open a tap just a bit, you get a repetitive
drip-drip-drip. Open it a bit more, you get drip-(drip, drip)-drip
happening. Open it a bit more, and you get drip - drip, (drip, drip) - drip
again repeating. In all cases you will get a repeating pattern tending
towards increasing complexity until you get laminar fluid flow. It's a
fractal pattern which you are watching. It's caused by the same distortions
that makes those fringe patterns in a slit experiment. Or, don't tell me you
hunt for oil, but never watched it drip? Tsk...

Greysky

Old January 10th 05, 08:46 AM
Franz Heymann

"Greysky" wrote in message
. ..

"Landle" wrote in message
[...]

That was one large heap of garbage.

Franz

Old January 10th 05, 08:46 AM
Franz Heymann

"Landle" wrote in message
[...]

Quantum mechanics has nothing to say about occurrences which can not
be observed. There is no way of observing which slit the photon chose
without spoiling the interference effect, so qm has no answer to that
question.
All qm has to say is that the photon is a particle whose dynamics are
determined by the behaviour of a wave. It is only the amplitude of
the wave *at the detector*, wherever the detector may be, which
determines what the probability is of finding the particle at that
detector.

You are welcome to speculate about hoe the paricle got from A to B,
but don't expect qm to confirm or deny your speculations.

Franz

Old January 10th 05, 12:44 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Landle and Greysky What the two slit experiment is showing us is
that photons travel in pairs. My "Spin is in theory" uses photon pairing
even if I did not know about the slit experiment(it would have predicted
it) Nature creates in particle pairs. Create an electron,and you get a
positron(every time) In the case of photons you get a "virtual" photon.
We throw the word wave around in the vacuum of space like we knew what
we are talking about,and yet it begs this question What is waving? We
are given its like a rock hitting a pond,and this creates a circular
wave across the water's surface moving to the pond's shore where it
turns to a ripple and ends as heat. Keep in mind there are no ponds of
water in space so in reality this analogy sucks. My answer to the
two slits is a virtual photon goes through the other slit. I'll add
this Make 0ne million tiny holes in a metals surface,and beam half a
million photons on this surface and all the holes would receive a
photon. Keep in mind 6 trillion photons can sit on a pin head,and what
I'm saying is half of them are "VIRTUAL" Bert

Old January 10th 05, 01:49 PM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
[...]

So, if the double slit experiment shows us that photons travel in
pairs, then what does the triple slit experiment show us?

Double-A