Orion EQ-3M drves: single axis or double axis?

Old February 4th 04, 11:33 PM
Jon Isaacs

Default Orion EQ-3M drves: single axis or double axis?

I know that with a good polar alignment I would only need a single
drive but, in real life experience, how much would I miss by buying
only a single axis drive (EQ-3M) versus a double? Any suggestions?

I have an EQ-3 mount with the dual drives. My experience is that the drives
are not responsive, trying to guide things is quite frustrating because of the
lag. If you are doing planets, i think the single axis drive would be more
than adequate...

Others may have other opinions..

jon
Old February 4th 04, 11:55 PM
Alexander Avtanski

Jon Isaacs wrote:
I know that with a good polar alignment I would only need a single
drive but, in real life experience, how much would I miss by buying
only a single axis drive (EQ-3M) versus a double? Any suggestions?

I have an EQ-3 mount with the dual drives. My experience is that the drives
are not responsive, trying to guide things is quite frustrating because of the
lag. If you are doing planets, i think the single axis drive would be more
than adequate...

Others may have other opinions..

jon

I also have the EQ-3 mount with dual drives and my opinion is the
same as Jon's.

I found the double drive useful for visual purposes, adjusting the
things at high magnification without touching the mount. For this
purpose the dual-drive is nice to have.

For guiding, I think tha backlash is too-much (although it could be
reduced somewhat by adjusting the drive on the mount).

Regards,

- Alex

Old February 5th 04, 01:34 PM
Tom Royer

"Alexander Avtanski" wrote in message

Jon Isaacs wrote:
[...]

A related question: Orion says not to use the manual slow motions
when the drive is attached. Rather, one should disengage the drives
before using the manuals. Is there an easy way to do this -- it seems
like a pain to carry those silly allen wrenches out into the dark each
time I want to observe.

Suggestions are welcome.

--
Tom Royer
Lead Engineer

"If you're not free to fail, you're not free." -- Gene Burns

Old February 5th 04, 02:38 PM
Jon Isaacs

A related question: Orion says not to use the manual slow motions
when the drive is attached. Rather, one should disengage the drives
before using the manuals. Is there an easy way to do this -- it seems
like a pain to carry those silly allen wrenches out into the dark each
time I want to observe.

There is no need to use allen wrenches to use the scope. To reposition of the
scope to a new target, you first disengage the scope from the drives with the
thumb levers just as you would do manually. Then tighten up the thumb levers
and fine position the scope with the drives.

One can also manually adjust the declination by disengaging the drive clutch.
The RA drive has no clutch so you are stuck in this regard.

Jon