Bezos' Blue Origin revealed!

Old January 9th 07, 07:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Eric Chomko

Default Bezos' Blue Origin revealed!

On Jan 8, 4:25 pm, (Rand Simberg) wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:16:00 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Rand thinks that NASA should be using its money to support small-scale
rocket developers, and that this will usher in a glorious new age.
How would you like to be the guy at NASA who implements that plan? Who,
after going over all those failed private schemes to build the Wonderful
Miracle Rocket over the past few decades, and what happened to each of
them, decides to kick a billion or so off the agency's funds in that
direction?How would that be worse than the billion dollars of agency funds that

got kicked in the X-33 direction? Or the hundreds of billions that
have been squandered in the business-as-usual direction?

What do you think the odds are that a few years down the road, you're
going to be having a little heart-to-heart with a Congressional
subcommittee explaining why you have zip to show for that money, because
the companies you invested in were either incompetent or outright crooked?
By past experience, around 95%.I don't see very many in trouble now for all the hundreds of billions

that NASA has wasted. They only seem to get in trouble when they kill
astronauts, or attempt to move jobs from one district to another.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention.

NASA isn't some fiendish force squashing spaceflight, NASA is just smart
enough to put its money into companies that it knows have a good chance
of succeeding based on past experience, rather than on some new start-up
that has a lot of really innovative and wild ideas, combined with just
about zero experience in the rocket business.As I said, apparently you haven't been paying attention. You're the

one living in a fantasy world, one in which contractors actually
deliver on their promises, and meet program goals, schedules and
budgets. And that NASA officials get punished when they don't.

So what is the problem, NASA, the customers or both?

Old January 14th 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall

"Eric Chomko" wrote:

:
:Fred J. McCall wrote:
: "Eric Chomko" wrote:
:
: :
: :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : "Eric Chomko" wrote:
: :
: : :
: : :Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : : "Eric Chomko" wrote:
: : :
: : : :Should have read "NASA, contractors or both". NASA IS the customer in
: : : :this the context.
: : : :
: : : :NASA has foriegn countries, such as Japan, as customers.
: : :
: : : Uh, I thought that were partners...
: : :
: : :That too. Both/and, Freddy, not either/or.
: :
: : Oh? How much is Japan paying NASA for products and services?
: :
: :Perhaps the agreement is in terms of shared results of the data?
:
: In other words, they're not a 'customer'.
:
:No, mutual customers as I have saying all along.

And Eric doesn't know what the word 'customer' means, as I have been
saying all along.

:
: :
: : :Why do you have such a
: : :difficult time with rudimentary reasoning constructs like and, or, and
: : :not?
: :
: : Why do you have such a difficult time with reality?
: :
: : :Can a client/server system also do peer-to-peer?
: :
: : But the question is whether it IS or not, not whether it CAN or not.
: :
: :Answer: Many client/server systems ARE also peer-to-peer.
:
: But the question is whether a given one is.
:
:Could you be more vague? I bet you cannot...

There's nothing vague there, El Chimpko. The problem is your lack of
reading and thinking abilities.

Could you be any stupider? I bet you can...

:
: Again, who are NASA's ***CUSTOMERS***.
:
:International partners for starters...

Those are "partners", El Chimpko. Partners are different from
customers. A business with partners and no customers fails in the
real world.

:
: You've virtually admitted above that your first claimed example of a
: 'NASA customer' is not a customer at all. Try again?
:
:No Fred, an agreement or partnetship is a form of barter where the
:aspect of "customer" is peer-to-peer.

No, Eric. Go look up 'partner' and then look up 'customer'. You'll
find they have nothing at all in common.

:Customer didn't disappear or go away, and I am convinced that both
:sides get that, despite the fact that you do not.

And this illustrates the problem. Eric (and NASA) don't know what
customers are anymore.

:
: : :
: : : Who are the CUSTOMERS. Who is paying NASA for its output?
: : :
: : :Japan as an example. Look up ASTER. Partners and customers. And paying
: : :for a service...
: :
: : Not according to JPL. "ASTER is a cooperative effort between NASA,
: : Japan's Ministry of Economy."
: :
: :Are you saying a cooperative effort can't have customers on both sides?
: :We are their customer and they are our customer given specific contexts
: :within the cooperative agreement. Geez...
:
: In other words, the word 'customer' has no meaning to you. And so it
: is with NASA...
:
:No, you don't get what 'customer' means given your limited
:understanding.
:NASA and I are quite clear.

Yes, you are. You're also quite wrong.

Go look it up.

:
: : Not customers. You're lying again.
: :
: :No, you don't understand that being mutual customers to one another is
: :described as cooperative agreement.
:
: No, I don't. Because that's simply a false way to define the word
: 'customer' into meaninglessness.
:
:No Fred. You are obviously buffered away from customers, and for a
:reason.

Wrong again, El Chimpko. I'm also not "buffered away" from partners.
I also know the difference between the two, which you have shown
clearly that you do not.

:
: :Think barter, Freddy. Are there no customers in a barter arrangement?
:
: Think current English language usage, El Chimpko.
:
:Poor response. Freddy. What is the customer relationship within a
:barter agreement?

Look in your dictionary, El Chimpko.

: Go look up 'customer' in the dictionary. Then give me a NASA customer
: that fits within the actual definition of 'customer'.
:
:It fits just fine. I have already looked.

And so the real problem is your inability to read. But anyone who's
seen you on here already knew that.

:
: :Oh, that economics degree you took? I think
:
: No, you don't. And that is the problem.
:
:Yes, as bad a Rand with intellectual dishonesty. An admission of
:losing...

Get back to me when you understand the difference between 'partner'
and 'customer', El Chimpko.

--
"When you go to the mind reader, do you get half price?"
-- David Letterman