sci.astro.amateur founding date?

Old March 20th 06, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default sci.astro.amateur founding date?

Best I can do is I found a posting on September 15, 1994. does
sci.astro.amateur predate that?

Matthew Ota

Old March 20th 06, 09:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Matthew Ota wrote:
Best I can do is I found a posting on September 15, 1994. does
sci.astro.amateur predate that?

Matthew Ota

Tue Jul 12 15:05:06 1994
ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.an....astro.amateur
Old March 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Thanks for that information, now I wonder who made the first post!

Matthew Ota

Old March 20th 06, 09:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I found it:

From: Jay Goodwin - view profile
Date: Wed, Sep 14 1994 12:51 pm
Email: (Jay Goodwin)
Groups: sci.astro.amateur
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options

| Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I've spun a twelve inch mirror made of epoxy, and am interested in
purchasing
some chemical silvering. How expensive is this, and is there a better
way to
silver the mirror? BTW, has anybody compared the quality of an epoxy
mirror to
a homebrew glass mirror? I'm sure that the quality of the epoxy mirror
is much
lower resolution, but I would like to know by what kind of factor.

Jay Goodwin

Rate this post:

Old March 20th 06, 10:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 2006-03-20, Matthew Ota wrote:
Best I can do is I found a posting on September 15, 1994. does
sci.astro.amateur predate that?

sci.astro.amateur was newgrouped on Septemeber 14, 1994.
Before that date there was only sci.astro.

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old March 20th 06, 10:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 2006-03-20, Matthew Ota wrote:
Best I can do is I found a posting on September 15, 1994. does
sci.astro.amateur predate that?

sci.astro.amateur was newgrouped on Septemeber 14, 1994.
Before that date there was only sci.astro.

sci.astro - Boy that memory sent a shudder up my spine. I was still using
Pine to read e-mail.

Crazy Ed

Old March 20th 06, 11:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Matthew Ota wrote:
Thanks for that information, now I wonder who made the first post!

Wait, wait... I think I've found it!

From: Nancy - view profile
Date: Wed, Sep 14 1994 12:50 pm
Groups: sci.astro.amateur

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
ZetaTalk: Jewish Exodus

The last passage of the 12th Planet is best remembered as the time of
the Jewish exodus from Egypt, but what is not well known is the reason
for the exodus. Slaves do not just walk away from their masters, and
in particular a large group of slaves, old women and children among
them, do not get miles away from their masters in a desert area where
lookouts can see for miles. The institution of slavery is maintained
by cruelty and punishment, and slaves attempting to escape are punished

in a manner that will serve as a lesson to others contemplating such an

escape attempt. Hands and feet are chopped off when the slave wanders
or reaches where they are not to go, eyes poked out when the slave
looks when they were supposed to drop their eyes, and tongues cut out
when the speech of the slave is considered too bold.

Thus, the Jewish exodus did not occur because this large group just
decided to take a stroll one day, anticipating nothing worse than a
whipping as the comeuppance should they be discovered. The exodus
occurred because their masters were devastated and distracted by
problems so severe as to take their minds entirely off their slaves.
Would this have been a flooded Nile or a plague of locusts or even
celebration where all got drunk? Nothing in the normal course of
Egyptian society would have created a situation where the Jews could
have left, en mass, or even a situation where they all would have had
the courage to leave. They left because the passage of the 12th Planet

imposed first a long night and then horrendous earthquakes and volcanic

eruptions in nearby volcanoes.

Chaos reigned, the very type of chaos that governments throughout the
world fear lies in their near future. Guards left their posts, and
household servants stole from their masters and crept away in the
seemingly never-ending night. The rulers held their heads in worry and

discussed among themselves how they might placate the gods. The
military elite, used to utter control and tolerating no challenges to
their orders, react to chaos by trying to re-establish order.
Hysterical troops, unable to comprehend what was happening to them,
were in no mood to placate their superiors, and thus the military was
engaged with internal battles for some time. It was not until the
rotation of the Earth was re-established that the Egyptian rulers and
their military leaders were able to regain control of the troops. By
that time, as history well tells, the Jewish exodus was a success!
(End ZetaTalk[TM])
All rights reserved:
http://www.zetatalk.com
http://www.zetatalk2.com

Old March 20th 06, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I don't recall the exact month, but I'm fairly certain 1994 was the
right year.

On 20 Mar 2006 12:49:17 -0800, "Matthew Ota"
wrote:

Best I can do is I found a posting on September 15, 1994. does
sci.astro.amateur predate that?

Matthew Ota

=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA
http://flavorj.com/~skysea
Old March 20th 06, 11:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

{[( shudder )]}

From: Nancy - view profile
Date: Wed, Sep 14 1994 12:50 pm
Groups: sci.astro.amateur

(Begin ZetaTalk[TM])
ZetaTalk: Jewish Exodus

=============
Old March 20th 06, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Was there an answer? I like the inquiry.

"Matthew Ota" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found it:

From: Jay Goodwin - view profile
Date: Wed, Sep 14 1994 12:51 pm
Email: (Jay Goodwin)
Groups: sci.astro.amateur
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options

| Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I've spun a twelve inch mirror made of epoxy, and am interested in
purchasing
some chemical silvering. How expensive is this, and is there a better
way to
silver the mirror? BTW, has anybody compared the quality of an epoxy
mirror to
a homebrew glass mirror? I'm sure that the quality of the epoxy mirror
is much
lower resolution, but I would like to know by what kind of factor.

Jay Goodwin

Rate this post:

[sci.astro,sci.astro.seti] Welcome! - read this first [email protected] Astronomy Misc 9 February 2nd 06 01:37 AM
SAA's Founders Ed T Amateur Astronomy 55 January 18th 06 09:30 PM
[sci.astro] Time (Astronomy Frequently Asked Questions) (3/9) [email protected] Astronomy Misc 0 October 6th 05 02:36 AM
Read Shawn's Postings from Trollsareus AcuraEL2001 Amateur Astronomy 4 February 19th 04 01:22 AM
Troll identies revealed and Yahoo troll group postings IamTrollBuster Amateur Astronomy 0 February 18th 04 09:32 PM