First the Face On Mars... now this!

Old December 3rd 04, 07:04 AM
Alan Erskine

Default First the Face On Mars... now this!

"John Savard" wrote in message
On the BBC web site, at

is a news article about how finding sedimentary rocks on Mars means it
highly worthwhile to investigate it further for signs of life.

But the photo at the top, showing a group of square rock slabs bunched
together...

of course, it has the likely natural cause of being simply a large
outcrop with cracks in it partially covered by sand...

but it has a certain superficial resemblance... to a vertebrate
skeleton.

How long before this gets claimed as the fossil of a Martian dinosaur?

Dunno, where's "Jonathan"?

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old December 3rd 04, 05:01 PM
Hop David

John Savard wrote:
On the BBC web site, at

is a news article about how finding sedimentary rocks on Mars means it
highly worthwhile to investigate it further for signs of life.

But the photo at the top, showing a group of square rock slabs bunched
together...

of course, it has the likely natural cause of being simply a large
outcrop with cracks in it partially covered by sand...

but it has a certain superficial resemblance... to a vertebrate
skeleton.

How long before this gets claimed as the fossil of a Martian dinosaur?

Hmmm. Looks like a biped. But there's nothing in the image indicating
scale. Is it a velociraptor or a T-rex?

John Savard

Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old December 3rd 04, 06:31 PM
Mike Combs

"Hop David" wrote in message

John Savard wrote:

but it has a certain superficial resemblance... to a vertebrate
skeleton.

How long before this gets claimed as the fossil of a Martian dinosaur?

Hmmm. Looks like a biped. But there's nothing in the image indicating
scale. Is it a velociraptor or a T-rex?

Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, because I was thinking more along
the lines of a Plesiosaur.

But I was perfectly open to either end being the head end.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old December 4th 04, 02:06 AM
Neil Halelamien

It's the skeleton from Space Quest! Hopefully the Rover won't try to
crawl into any holes.

http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/sq1vga/3/b.htm

Old December 7th 04, 04:24 PM
John Thingstad

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:01:17 -0700, Hop David
wrote:

John Savard wrote:
On the BBC web site, at
is a news article about how finding sedimentary rocks on Mars means it
highly worthwhile to investigate it further for signs of life.
But the photo at the top, showing a group of square rock slabs bunched
together...
of course, it has the likely natural cause of being simply a large
outcrop with cracks in it partially covered by sand...
but it has a certain superficial resemblance... to a vertebrate
skeleton.
How long before this gets claimed as the fossil of a Martian dinosaur?

Hmmm. Looks like a biped. But there's nothing in the image indicating
scale. Is it a velociraptor or a T-rex?

John Savard

Last I heard they had discovered robots on mars.