Origin of Isons incoming path in nightsky?

Old November 25th 13, 04:27 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Default Origin of Isons incoming path in nightsky?

I've looked around and have a couple of questions regarind comets and specifically ISON that i could not find on internet.

1. Is there interstellar and solarsystem regional comets?

2. I've assumed that sun grazing interstellar comets always approach in a straight line towards sun, so when looking at nightsky they have origin in a quadrant and moving perpendicular towards our sun? Is this correct?

3. If above is correct from which quadrant did ISON origin?

4. If one was to pin point the start vector that ISON did approach our sun, where did it origin. Which are the three closest naked eye visible stars in the nightsky if i wanted to pinpoint the origin of ISON in the sky.

5. Is the acceleration of a sun grazing star dependent on its mass?

6. Which was ISONS entering speed into our solar system, and what will its speed be after slingshot our sun?

7. What is ISONS mass and coresize, and how is these established, visual inspection or instruments?

Old November 25th 13, 05:01 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Den måndagen den 25:e november 2013 kl. 04:27:21 UTC+1 skrev :
[...]

I look know on this picture that what is interstellar and solar system may be the same thing? I read that oort cloude part of the solar system.

But could comets reach us from outside oort cloude, even slingshot between different solar systems?

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/stream...ktop_large.jpg

Interesting, i once read that if sun was size of a sphere with 1 m diameter the earth would be size of a pea 120 yards away. And if that represent one AU then oorth cloude is starting 10 km away and reaching out 100 000 km it is just infathomable, what a gigantic volume how many objects must it not incorporate.

One can also wonder how big an earth size planet is from a distance of 100 000 AU. Could it be that there are earth sized planets in oort cloude, but because of their focal point between us and the other stars they do not cover enough surface of a star to shade it?

Kind of thrilling and a bit bothersome, we may be able to detect planets orbiting other solar system, but may be unable to detect planetary sized objects within our own outer solar system.
Old November 25th 13, 09:32 AM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

:
I've looked around and have a couple of questions regarind comets
and specifically ISON that i could not find on internet.

1. Is there interstellar and solarsystem regional comets?

It is thought (based on the evidence) that long-period comets originate in
the Oort Cloud, which is part of our solar system, but very far out from the
Sun. The only way you can tell the origin of a comet is from its orbital
elements, and none of them have originally hyperbolic orbits indicating
extra-solar origins.

2. I've assumed that sun grazing interstellar comets always approach
in a straight line towards sun, so when looking at nightsky they
have origin in a quadrant and moving perpendicular towards our sun?
Is this correct?

They are always in elliptical orbits of extremely high eccentricity, almost
indistinguishable from a parabola. So not really a straight line. But the
direction of origin can be deduced with a bit of calculation.

3. If above is correct from which quadrant did ISON origin?

I'm not sure. You would need to check the orbital elements.

4. If one was to pin point the start vector that ISON did approach
our sun, where did it origin. Which are the three closest naked eye
visible stars in the nightsky if i wanted to pinpoint the origin of
ISON in the sky.

See above.

5. Is the acceleration of a sun grazing star dependent on its mass?

No. Compared to the Sun all comets are like "test particles".

6. Which was ISONS entering speed into our solar system, and what
will its speed be after slingshot our sun?

These comets all start from the Oort cloud with "almost" zero relative
velocity (a few m/sec or less). They fall freely towards the Sun, reach a
maximum speed as they go around the Sun, then slow down as they head back
out towards the Oort Cloud.

7. What is ISONS mass and coresize, and how is these established,
visual inspection or instruments?

It's hard to say exactly, but it is based on estimates of the size of the
nucleus from the rate of emission of dust and gas. Only a very few comets
have been viewed close-up by spacecraft, and the nuclei are pretty small (a
few km, usually).

I look know on this picture that what is interstellar and solar
system may be the same thing? I read that oort cloude part of the
solar system.

Correct.

But could comets reach us from outside oort cloude, even slingshot
between different solar systems?

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/stream...ktop_large.jpg

While possible, it is unlikely. Sun-grazing comets need to start out with
nearly zero relative velocity. If there were some interstellar comets,
chances are that they would not get very close to the Sun and become
visible, because their relative velocity would start out as several km/sec.

Interesting, i once read that if sun was size of a sphere with 1 m
diameter the earth would be size of a pea 120 yards away. And if that
represent one AU then oorth cloude is starting 10 km away and
reaching out 100 000 km it is just infathomable, what a gigantic
volume how many objects must it not incorporate.

Sounds about right.

One can also wonder how big an earth size planet is from a distance
of 100 000 AU. Could it be that there are earth sized planets in oort
cloude, but because of their focal point between us and the other
stars they do not cover enough surface of a star to shade it?

There has been some speculation, at least regarding the Kuiper Belt, for
large bodies. After all, we know already about objects larger than Pluto.
And there has also been speculation that large bodies in the Oort Cloud are
what perturb comets into the inner solar system. How they might get there
is not known.

Kind of thrilling and a bit bothersome, we may be able to detect
planets orbiting other solar system, but may be unable to detect
planetary sized objects within our own outer solar system.

Detection would certainly be very difficult.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old November 25th 13, 07:52 PM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

Den måndagen den 25:e november 2013 kl. 09:32:38 UTC+1 skrev Mike Dworetsky:
wrote:

Den m�ndagen den 25:e november 2013 kl. 04:27:21 UTC+1 skrev

:

http://science1.nasa.gov/science-new...01/ast26nov_1/
Old November 27th 13, 05:59 AM posted to sci.astro
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

I Think there may been a solar flare from sun, is it ison down to the right in Sohos Pictures. Which direction would Earth be relative Soho Picture?

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/...512/latest.jpg
Old November 27th 13, 09:37 AM posted to sci.astro
Mike Dworetsky

wrote:

http://science1.nasa.gov/science-new...01/ast26nov_1/

I Think there may been a solar flare from sun, is it ison down to the
right in Sohos Pictures. Which direction would Earth be relative Soho
Picture?

Soho is on a line from Earth to Sun, about 1.5 million km from Earth at the
L1 lagrangian point. So in the images, "It's behind you!".

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/...512/latest.jpg

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

INCOMING CME: A magnetic eruption on the sun during... Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 March 16th 13 02:21 AM
Average nightsky Luminosity in space? Ioannis Amateur Astronomy 5 September 2nd 05 03:07 AM
Great Article in NightSky Magazine by Rod Mollise Scott Smith Amateur Astronomy 1 February 9th 05 04:44 PM
Incoming!!! Mike Miller Technology 41 May 22nd 04 02:30 AM
"NightSky" - new magazine for beginners Stan Jensen Amateur Astronomy 4 January 19th 04 11:54 PM