Super-heavy lift reusable launcher

Old August 11th 08, 02:22 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

Default Super-heavy lift reusable launcher

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Ian Parker wrote:

:On 10 Aug, 12:36, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Ian Parker wrote:
:
: :On 10 Aug, 11:50, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : Ian Parker wrote:
: :
: : :On 9 Aug, 23:35, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : : Ian Parker wrote:

snip

In general, if William Mook is championing something, it is probably a
good thing to stay away from. Mr Mook has a years-long reputation for
wanting undoable things done.

snip

--George Bernard Shaw

What?? !! Must I make a point, *here,*
about "wanting undoable things done"? In
sci.space.policy? ?? What is this
newsgroup *for,* for the luvva Mike?

Well, I'll make my point. In my view,
sci.space.policy is / or ought to be, a
place where we start some "undoable" on
its transition to "doable."

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Aug 10]

Old August 11th 08, 02:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news
At least Sea Dragon got into that engine size category:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/searagon.htm

Again; imagining something and actually making it happen are two different
things.

Oh, it's easy! Some old oil drums, a little welding, some vacuum cleaner
parts, some soldering, a couple windshield washer pumps, some epoxy
cement, a old jet engine...and there you are...super rocket engine.
Good do-it-yourself project for the weekend.
Next month we'll show you how to build one of these using old radium
clock dials, a lampshade, and a surplus aircraft drop tank:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/w/waldebar.jpg

Pat
Old August 11th 08, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news
Oh, it's easy! Some old oil drums, a little welding, some vacuum cleaner
parts, some soldering, a couple windshield washer pumps, some epoxy
cement, a old jet engine...and there you are...super rocket engine.
Good do-it-yourself project for the weekend.
Next month we'll show you how to build one of these using old radium clock
dials, a lampshade, and a surplus aircraft drop tank:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/w/waldebar.jpg

Pat

Regardless of everything else, that's a spectacular-looking ship (both of
them, actually).

Old August 11th 08, 04:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

"Martha Adams" wrote:

:
:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
.. .
: Ian Parker wrote:
:
: :On 10 Aug, 12:36, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : Ian Parker wrote:
: :
: : :On 10 Aug, 11:50, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : : Ian Parker wrote:
: : :
: : : :On 9 Aug, 23:35, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: : : : Ian Parker wrote:
:
:snip
:
: In general, if William Mook is championing something, it is probably a
: good thing to stay away from. Mr Mook has a years-long reputation for
: wanting undoable things done.
:
:snip
:
: "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
: man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
: all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
:
: --George Bernard Shaw
:
:What?? !! Must I make a point, *here,*
:about "wanting undoable things done"? In
:sci.space.policy? ?? What is this
:newsgroup *for,* for the luvva Mike?
:

Just what it says - 'space policy'. 'Policy' isn't about setting
impossible goals.

:
:Well, I'll make my point. In my view,
:sci.space.policy is / or ought to be, a
lace where we start some "undoable" on
:its transition to "doable."
:

But Mookie's fantasies aren't going to transition to 'doable' in
anyone's lifetime who is around today.

I was around when this newsgroup was started. That ain't what it's
for. If you want that, start a new newsgroup. May I suggest
'alt.space.fantasy' or 'alt.space.wetdream'?

--George Bernard Shaw
Old August 11th 08, 09:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:
Regardless of everything else, that's a spectacular-looking ship (both of
them, actually).

Although it's not quite accurate, the ocean liner is the United States.
The big thing is the Aldebaran super nuclear powered spacecraft:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/aldbaran.htm
Looks like they are lining up for a race...I think the Aldebaran will
win. :-D

Pat
Old August 11th 08, 11:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Although it's not quite accurate, the ocean liner is the United States.
The big thing is the Aldebaran super nuclear powered spacecraft:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/aldbaran.htm
Looks like they are lining up for a race...I think the Aldebaran will win.
:-D

The SS United States won - it existed.

Old August 11th 08, 12:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ian Parker

: Ian Parker wrote:
:
: :On 10 Aug, 11:50, Fred J. McCall wrote:
: :
: : : Ian Parker wrote:

snip

In general, if William Mook is championing something, it is probably a
good thing to stay away from. *Mr Mook has a years-long reputation for
wanting undoable things done.

snip

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --George Bernard Shaw

What?? *!! *Must I make a point, *here,*
about "wanting undoable things done"? *In
sci.space.policy? *?? *What is this
newsgroup *for,* for the luvva Mike?

Well, I'll make my point. *In my view,
sci.space.policy is / or ought to be, a
place where we start some "undoable" on
its transition to "doable."

Titeotwawki -- mha *[sci.space.policy 2008 Aug 10]

I would put this another way. If we try to do undoable things, i mean
here things that are undoable because of grandiose engineering. I
don't mean things like antigravity and warp drive, you may well end up
with a dooable core. You may well find that SSP for example might not
fulfill all our energy requirements. Purely terrestrial methods might
be best for the simple generation of hydrogen. However I feel that SSP
might well find a niche.

Transmission appears to be in two variants optical and microwave.
Microwaves as Rand Simberg rightly points out are overwhelmingly
superior for bulk energy transmission. Is there an optical niche?

I believe that lasers can be used to power a Nerva type engine. I
think LH containing soot could have an exhaust velocity of 10+ km/sec.
Lasers could also power aircraft. In these niche applications clould
cover will not be a problem as all the action will take place either
above the clouds, or in a location where there are none.

- Ian Parker
Old August 11th 08, 06:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Martha Adams

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Although it's not quite accurate, the ocean liner is the United
States.
The big thing is the Aldebaran super nuclear powered spacecraft:
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/aldbaran.htm
Looks like they are lining up for a race...I think the Aldebaran will
win. :-D

The SS United States won - it existed.

===================================

Is the date on that picture correct? 1962? If so,
that is a further example of America's remarkable
failure to realize a possible and desirable future.
Too many wars! And what have we to show for that?
*However* did we come to this? Is it a fatal
social flaw, and we wind up in the history books as
another failed experiment? ??

Titeotwawki -- mha [sci.space.policy 2008 Aug 11]

Old August 11th 08, 07:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Martha Adams wrote:

Is the date on that picture correct? 1962? If so,
that is a further example of America's remarkable
failure to realize a possible and desirable future.

The thing was a complete pipe dream, it was about as workable as
anything found in a Buck Roger's comic strip.
We discussed it a while back on sci.space.history, and we can't even
figure out how the engine is supposed to work.
It apparently uses a gaseous core fission reactor of some sort, but that
doesn't explain the huge engine bell at the back or the air intakes on
the sponsons.
The engine bell makes it look like it's designed for some sort of
nuclear pulse drive, like the old Orion concept, but with the blast
being contained in the bell rather than acting on a pusher plate.
This says it dates from 1960: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3c.html
Dandridge M. Cole had all sorts of big ideas:
http://discoveryenterprise.blogspot....llenge-of.html

Pat
Old August 11th 08, 07:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Aug 10, 9:58*pm, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

news
Oh, it's easy! Some old oil drums, a little welding, some vacuum cleaner
parts, some soldering, a couple windshield washer pumps, some epoxy
cement, a old jet engine...and there you are...super rocket engine.
Good do-it-yourself project for the weekend.
Next month we'll show you how to build one of these using old radium clock
dials, a lampshade, and a surplus aircraft drop tank:
http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/w/waldebar.jpg

Pat

Regardless of everything else, that's a spectacular-looking ship (both of
them, actually).

I'm forbidden to see it for some reason. lol.