The face on Mars

Old March 14th 16, 05:11 AM posted to sci.skeptic, sci.space.policy, sci.astro, alt.alien.research, alt.alien.visitors
David Dalton

Default The face on Mars

Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"You've been so long/Well, it's been so long

Old March 14th 16, 04:34 PM posted to sci.skeptic,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,alt.alien.research,alt.alien.visitors
Bob Officer[_2_]

David Dalton wrote:
Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

It is a trick of light, David.

Since the over processed image of the face was made public nearly 50 years
ago. 100s of high resolution images have been made and show the face is
just a creation of mans imagination.

The real problem is the initial image had been nightly over processed and
then smoothed. You have to realize the entire face was an area nine square
pixels. The processing took nineteen steps to created to create the face.

If one took the same resolution image one could create a face out of over
50% of the possible combinations of pixels.

Hoagland was discredited years ago. As more and more data has come in to
play. He now is nothing more than a huckster hustling his side show.

Old March 15th 16, 05:09 AM posted to sci.skeptic,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,alt.alien.research,alt.alien.visitors
Bob Officer[_2_]

Jeff Findley wrote:
In article l-
september.org, says...

Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

Hogland is wrong. There are other pictures, from orbit, which show no
"face". Humans are "hard wired" to see faces in things.

Yes.

There is or was a we site at one time dedicated to to the effect of
humanity need to identify the unknown by building comparisons to the known.

Science even has a name for this well known effect: Pareidolia

I send pictures of three pronged power outlets which look like faces.
Religious people seem to be more prone to seeing the face of Jesus. Even
back in high school defects in wood used in woodworking was referred to as
cat faces.

The problem of false pattern recognition is even described well in
statistics as a type one error, and the larger term Apophenia is often
used.

Hoagland made a career out of the face myth, even to the point of
misrepresenting his employment with NASA. Dozens of books all based upon
the fallacy of false authority.

Hoagland was a contract PR person, never as part of the science team. His
actual contract was canceled after it was found out he had misrepresented
his qualifications.

Old March 15th 16, 11:28 PM posted to sci.skeptic,sci.space.policy,sci.astro,alt.alien.research,alt.alien.visitors
Bob Officer[_2_]

Michael Moroney wrote:
Bob Officer writes:

Jeff Findley wrote:
In article l-
september.org, says...

Last night I heard an interview with Richard Hoagland in which he said
that the face on Mars could not be a trick of light and shadow since
it turned up in two images taken 30 hours apart.

Hogland is wrong. There are other pictures, from orbit, which show no
"face". Humans are "hard wired" to see faces in things.

Yes.

There is or was a we site at one time dedicated to to the effect of
humanity need to identify the unknown by building comparisons to the known.

Science even has a name for this well known effect: Pareidolia

Definitely. Check out this old photograph:

http://www.yoism.org/images/JesusHead.jpg.

What do you see first? Now look carefully at what it really is a
photo of.

A family of four.

I used to restore old photos, so I developed a good eye to see what was
there.

I also used to take multiple shots and printed them out on different grades
of paper. You would be surprise what sort of details on could find. I
discovered an address which allowed the photos owner to Id a house.

--
Yep it is me, and Carole believes adding 2+2 can sometimes equal 3 or 5,
and getting wrong answers means you are thinking outside the box.

The face on Mars David Dalton Policy 18 April 2nd 16 09:39 AM
The face on Earth to match the face on Mars Mahmoud In My Dinner Jacket Astronomy Misc 2 December 22nd 05 05:43 PM
First the Face On Mars... now this! Alan Erskine Policy 4 December 7th 04 05:24 PM
The new face on Mars Coder Misc 7 January 26th 04 09:13 PM
Okay the Mars rover has landed: But why didn't it land near the so-called, "Face of Mars?" Rod Mollise Amateur Astronomy 6 January 8th 04 01:26 AM